R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-19-2006, 10:30 PM   #646
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

looks like this shaft car will be perfect for the oval carpet racers out there... Im in i know with the battery on the left and all its makes a great oval car like the associated but they where just to cheap made someone needed to step up and make a great shaft car i think its here...
Old 06-19-2006, 10:52 PM   #647
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxkat
I don't think you understood where the placement of the shaft is. Your also not taking into consideration the rotating mass of the shaft. I don't think the weight of the top deck (a 2.5mm) matters that much either.
i think what YR4dude is mentioning is that the shaft cant be any lower than 1/2 the diameter of the spur, since the shaft goes though the middle of it.... unless the Kyosho takes a 112-ish spur, and the Evo uses like a 90.

that said, my TF should be here on wednesday...

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:53 PM   #648
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbonium
i think what YR4dude is mentioning is that the shaft cant be any lower than 1/2 the diameter of the spur, since the shaft goes though the middle of it.... unless the Kyosho takes a 112-ish spur, and the Evo uses like a 90.

that said, my TF should be here on wednesday...
wes.. do i have to change your avatar now?
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:59 PM   #649
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to alana07

just my s$0.002 on this TF5, the suspension design is unique, certainly no other current TC on the market uses this method to adjust toe-in and to a extent track width. the suspension blocks uses various types of eccentric bushes to adjust toe and track width. and the front / rear sus arms are of the reversible type, aka TRF style.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:06 AM   #650
Tech Elite

Well, the biggest spur Kyosho list in the manual is a 96T 64dp, so that is pretty small. The bulkheads and drive gears are the same as on the Lazer ZX-5 so the shaft is going to be around that height.

I really don't think it is going to have a major effect of the CG of the car, the batteries and motor are such a large part of the mass and they are always at the same level in these cars anyway.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:14 AM   #651
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

xxxkat - I appreciate your input. In fact, I think most of us "want" to believe what you mentioned about the shaft on the Tamiya. However its just not physically possible if the shaft is to be on the same axis as the spur.

Please don't feel discouraged. All posts should be welcomed.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:19 PM   #652
Tech Elite

Well, I have just finished building my TF-5 shaft car, must say it looks very pretty with all the red anodising and black carbon. I'll report on the performance after the weekend.

PS Shaft sits lower than on my old SD (non-LCG).
Old 06-20-2006, 05:00 PM   #653
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge
....PS Shaft sits lower than on my old SD (non-LCG).

Is there any way you can show this in a pic and have it posted? Or at least explain why?

Ya I know. I could always find out myself by spending the four bills for a kit of my own.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:05 PM   #654
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I'm going to wait on the belt car to come out.. YR4Dude..No problem, It's hard to tell where the shaft is in relation to the spur gear. I guess I'll wait until I get to physically look at one.. The problem with the way Yokomo did the LCG is flex..lots of it..
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:24 AM   #655
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to 5thscaleracer

Some things i would like to point out about the Kyosho car after building it....
Positve
1. No more E-clips in the suspenion arms. It's simply a small 2.5mm button screw that screws in the arm right next to the pin. On one end the hole is smaller so only one screw is required.
2. Toe front and rear is now set but using little plastic inserts on the red alloy blocks. Inlike the others you would have to purchase several blocks to get the desired toe. The Kyosho comes with all the possible degrees simply swaping the blocks.
3. The option for a spool is included with the kit But.... (refer to negatives)
4. The gear adapter is plastic!!!!! this thing does not run true and as it rotates you will notice the spur gear dance slightly. (same probelm with the old TF series that came with a plastic gear adapter. Gear adapters should be aluminum this better be one of the first upgrades by Kyosho!!!!!!!

Negative
1. I was missing 1 5X10 bearing for the front hub. But they were nice enough to give me an extra 3X6 bearing
2. there is a small copper collar which is stated to be used (item number 193) if you follow the instructions and use this collar the pin will never line up with the hole. not to mention the drive gear in the gear box will never seat in properly. All you do is throw this part away and your good to go!
3. They should have included 3x6 flanged bearings for the steering rack. They still supply the metal bushing which dates back to the TF touring car series (old habit i guess)

Overall:
1. the instructions are too clear actually some parts are not needed or can't be applied to this car. I am not sure if it's a typo but these little tid bits slowed me down because i spent more time thinking if i should modify it to use the part or simply trash it and ship accordinly.

2. The car has allot of shimming and in instruction book it calls for 1 copper on the electronics side and 3 silver on the battery side. Well... the gear still has allot of slop i ended up running 4 on the battery side front and back. This will probably vary based on the diff case. I am assuming that there is a +/-.01" correction on the molding process.

3. Drive gear is very very small but lets see how to gear this bad boy

i will try the bad boy out this satruday, so far the car is built but i will be looking over and evaluating the design of the car and make changes that i see fit. there are some issues i want to correct on the car i will post them up as they are done.

So far Thanks Kyosho for a nice product!!!! Buy hurry up with the belt i have money for that car too!!!
5thscaleracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:52 AM   #656
Tech Elite

I'd agree with most of what 5thscalereacer says about the car, but have a couple of points.

1. The copper collar for the rear input shaft - it will fit, note that you need to use a 5x8 bearing on one side of the input, NOT a 5x10. Bit of an odd design but if built that way the collar is needed.

2. I would run the car a little to bed the gear in before messing with the shimming, I found that on the ZX-5 the mesh settled quite a lot after some power had been put through the transmission. The drive gears such a good shape that they run smoothly even with a tight mesh.

Re: shaft height, the most obvious difference is that the 70t spur I have in the TF-5 sits a tiny amount in the cutout on the chassis, whereas on my SD I have a 75t fitted which sits a few mm clear of the chassis. At a guess the shaft itself is 3 or 4mm lower, the topdeck is 5mm or more lower.

Overall the TF-5 looks a bit more compact and modern than the high-CG SD. The general impression is quite Pro4, although without comparing side-by-side I don't know how the details of the two compare.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:26 AM   #657
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

thanks for the tips guys... mine is "out for delivery" today, according to ups. thanks Speedtech Steve!!!!

should get started building it tonight.

Wes

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:50 AM   #658
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge
.....Re: shaft height, the most obvious difference is that the 70t spur I have in the TF-5 sits a tiny amount in the cutout on the chassis, whereas on my SD I have a 75t fitted which sits a few mm clear of the chassis. At a guess the shaft itself is 3 or 4mm lower, the topdeck is 5mm or more lower......
Okay. Now that explains it! I was looking over at the Yokomo website and they mentioned that the LCG's shaft is 4.5mm lower than that of the standard SD. This definitely explains it but it also means that everyone else could only be the same.

The only way I see possible for a lower CG is to reduce the spur size to something really small and try to make-up the lack of reduction in the drive train by having a really small pinion or larger diff rings(defeats lcg purpose. ) Nevertheless I would wonder what a small pinion would do to the reliability of the drivetrain. Also given that method of gear reduction, would be difficult to gear the car properly?

5thscale - I told you that I can't let you be the only one at SoCal with one of those. If I could get my hands on one, I will see you Saturday.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:50 PM   #659
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Okay. Now that explains it! I was looking over at the Yokomo website and they mentioned that the LCG's shaft is 4.5mm lower than that of the standard SD. This definitely explains it but it also means that everyone else could only be the same.

The only way I see possible for a lower CG is to reduce the spur size to something really small and try to make-up the lack of reduction in the drive train by having a really small pinion or larger diff rings(defeats lcg purpose. ) Nevertheless I would wonder what a small pinion would do to the reliability of the drivetrain. Also given that method of gear reduction, would be difficult to gear the car properly?

5thscale - I told you that I can't let you be the only one at SoCal with one of those. If I could get my hands on one, I will see you Saturday.
you want a TF5... call ultimate they have tons of them!!!
Old 06-21-2006, 05:52 PM   #660
Tech Regular

ok guys i am having an alloy gear adapter made for this car. It's simply a joke the spur gear will not track correctly it wobles due to the plastic gear adapter. Basically thanks to the molding process.

The alloy part will correct the problem should be due out in 2 weeks i hope i will know price info in about 2-3 days.