R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-14-2006, 09:33 PM   #631
Tech Regular

opinions please:
do you guys think the shaft car will be just as competitive as the belt car?
or do you think it's going to depend whether your (indoors/outdoors,foam/rubber,stock/mod)?
bosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:10 PM   #632
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosfan
opinions please:
or do you think it's going to depend whether your (indoors/outdoors,foam/rubber,stock/mod)?
Decisions, decisions...

Trinity / Epic / Revtech / VBC Racing USA / Mugen Seiki / Hot Race Tyres / SkyRocket Racing / SUPAFAST RC
kewdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:17 PM   #633
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I would think No, I'm not sure on the whole belt vrs. shaft (in all reality gear driven) But most of the Pro's are running them (belt), If you go to the local tracks most of the fast guys are running belt driven cars. I have a few of the more resent shaft cars( TC4, Pro4, Evo4, Yokomo LCG, Alex R3) and a few belt cars (Yokomo BD, Xray T2, Mi2 EC, 415 MX, and had an RDX) When the HP goes up I like the Belt cars more. In stock the Belt cars are just as quick as the shaft cars, So i see no point on buying more of them.. I would wait and get the Belt car.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:29 PM   #634
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosfan
opinions please:
Hi guys,

I personally believe that shaft car is every bit as competitive as the belt car, especially in classes like 27T or 23T stock (which is why a good portion of the 23T racers in Japan are still run shaft cars.) I believe the new TF-5 judging from the ZX-5 (which share some of the components) should be a very good performer on the track.

We should be receiving them tomorrow, and you can see our special discount price on the TF-5 when you place the item in the shopping cart

Steve Wang
Old 06-15-2006, 04:34 PM   #635
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

The new Kyosho TF-5 touring cars are in stock. Please see the special discounted price in shopping cart

Steve Wang
Old 06-15-2006, 09:15 PM   #636
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to 5thscaleracer

yeah i got mine going to put this bad boy tonight and set it up on the hudy board... This car is PIMP GUYS!!!!!

THANK YOU KYOSHO GODS!!!
5thscaleracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:18 AM   #637
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

So thats why you've been hiding. I thought you were only interested in the belt car? I guess you won't be doing much 5thscaling huh?????

I can't believe you got ahead of me on this. Maybe thats why you got me all interested in 1/5 so that I would hold off spending my mad money when the shafty came out. If so that is very sneaky of you. Well in that case I can't let you be the only one at SoCal with one of these.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:29 AM   #638
Tech Champion

Okay, heres a question for everyone to ponder. How do you guys out there feel the shaft car would compare with the new Tamiya Evo 5? The Tamiya looks to be very low in CG. Is the TF5 the same or higher. If it is higher, is it significant enough to cause handling differences? Or is it negligible?

And now that the two cars are out and available (both through SpeedtechRC) which one would you choose between the two?
Old 06-16-2006, 12:48 PM   #639
Tech Lord

..I know this is the Kyosho thread..But you did ask.. I would put the TF5 in the same league as the Yokomo SD (and Not the LCG) and the Pro4, The chassis layout and the steering geometry looks(I know that looks can be very deceiving) like it is very close to the Pro4 and the height of the shaft is about the same (I went by the height of the shaft and where it was in relation to the battery height) I'm not bagging on the TF5 I just see it as just another Shaft car. The Evo 5 is a different placement of the gear drive, If you look you will notice that Tamiya put the placement of the pinion gear at the bottom of the ring gear, By doing this it allowed the shaft to be signifantly lower than any other shaft car out their. I would think that from a rotating mass point it would be better to have the shaft lower in the chassis..like a belt car, What remains to be seen is how well the ring and pinion gears hold up to crashes, This is one of the weak points of any "shaft" cars and I'm sure it wont be any different with the TF5. The Kyosho TF5 does have some really cool features, I like how they did the battery tray, I like how the hing pins holders work so you can change the toe without buying different blocks. But I'll wait on the belt car and get it it will have all the features of the shaft car and handle better..
Old 06-16-2006, 09:51 PM   #640
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to 5thscaleracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude
So thats why you've been hiding. I thought you were only interested in the belt car? I guess you won't be doing much 5thscaling huh?????

I can't believe you got ahead of me on this. Maybe thats why you got me all interested in 1/5 so that I would hold off spending my mad money when the shafty came out. If so that is very sneaky of you. Well in that case I can't let you be the only one at SoCal with one of these.

no i am racing 5th scale too.... i just received a set of new brake pads for my 5th scale car i need to install it get it ready for next weekend.
5thscaleracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:57 AM   #641
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxkat
..........The Evo 5 is a different placement of the gear drive, If you look you will notice that Tamiya put the placement of the pinion gear at the bottom of the ring gear, By doing this it allowed the shaft to be signifantly lower than any other shaft car out their........
At first when I read this, it made sense. However after looking over other cars like the Yokomo LCG and the TF5, what was said can NOT be possible. To do so means that the Tamiya would have to have a spur gear that is HALF the size of a regular gear. How is the gear reduction in the ring and pinion gonna make up for that?

The shaft can not be any lower that half the diameter of the spur gear. If all three cars uses the same average diameter for a spur gear then the shaft on all three cars sit relatively the same with respect to the chassis. That is unless one of them have a good amount of spur gear sticking out the bottom. Not a good idea.

So that leaves the only thing that sits above the shaft that would make the CG look high or low.... The Top Plate. Looking at how much of the spur gear sticks out above the top plate or how much of the motor sticks out above the top plate gives us the impression of how low the car is.

Here is the question.... Is the weight of the top plate being only a couple of millimeters higher going to have that much effect on the CG such that it would affect handling greatly? My answer, NO because the weight of the top plate is neglible unless it is for carpet and a couple of millimeters in additional height is not enough to have an affect on the car. Others may differ, please comment on this.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:22 PM   #642
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Makes sense to me..
What really counts i think in the proper overall dynamic quality of a tc car are

- quality of materials
- overall quality of shocks and suspension geometry
- consistency over runs (ie : as little tweak as possible)

Let s not forget that last WC (which was ..wow..2 YEARS AGO!), ppl were running TC4s, LCG SD and so on, so although they re less fashionable at the moment, the TF5 is probably a very capable car, like any.
Patriiick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:29 PM   #643
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Here is the question.... Is the weight of the top plate being only a couple of millimeters higher going to have that much effect on the CG such that it would affect handling greatly? My answer, NO because the weight of the top plate is neglible unless it is for carpet and a couple of millimeters in additional height is not enough to have an affect on the car. Others may differ, please comment on this.
Thank you. it's nice to know that there are some that realize the CG has basically NOTHING to do with a top plate... kudos to you
Old 06-19-2006, 07:25 PM   #644
Tech Lord

I don't think you understood where the placement of the shaft is. Your also not taking into consideration the rotating mass of the shaft. I don't think the weight of the top deck (a 2.5mm) matters that much either.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:13 PM   #645
Tech Regular

Unhappy

Kyosho is know for quality, and durability, but having already seen two built Evo5's and one of them run, Tamiya did there homework with the new design. For stock and 19T, I am leaning toward Tamiya right now.
jw92656 is offline   Reply With Quote