R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-15-2012, 03:24 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Should I carry on using my 416we or buy new car

I'm currently using a tamiya 416 we , but as this is a few years old now I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer car. The other option is to do a major overhaul on the 416 and fit a more modern smokem or exotek chassis .
I'm hoping to get some advice on this .bearing I'm mind nearly all of my racing is on medium grip carpet.
vwvrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:09 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

it all depends on how serious you are about racing and how good you feel about your 416. Also depends if parts for the 416 is still easy to obtain or not.
My estimate is it will be about another 5 years before crucial parts for the 416 will completely dry up. Do you feel that its holding you back in racing now?
Keep in mind if you go the route of keeping up with the latest cars, you can't stop and will keep changing cars every 6 months or a year, as most serious racers would do.
As for me, i am still driving a 11 year old car, and i am very comfortable with it, i stocked up on crucial parts like arms, and luckily modern TC parts like the 417 gear diffs and some drift car layshaft pulleys and belts ,CVDs can drop right in, so i am still able to get it running formidably.
I also am able to design some of my own parts, right now i am in the process of designing a shorty lipo chassis.
If designing parts to keep it running is too much of a hassle to you, its best you go the route of changing cars often.
alcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
Tech Adept

I do like the 416 , the parts are easy to get and very cheap which is a good thing about tamiya. I just wondered if all the small updates the manufactures make over the years I.e flex characteristics , suspension geometry etc make a big diffrence , or make a car that's easier to drive at the limit.
I always remember a guy came to our club a few months ago with a associated tc3 and and was 2 laps up on everyone in the a final. So this makes me wonder if its 400 on a new car or 100 on upgrades
vwvrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Sometimes its just some people have the knowledge and the skill to setup their cars. It doesnt mean that if you drove a tc3 from 12 years ago you can smoke everyone else like that guy did. But if you feel that the 416 is easy and comfortable to drive, it goes where you want it to, then i say you should stick with it. I suggest you have close look at your car and try to identify ways to improve it by simple modifications that cost little money, instead of buying a new costly chassis. For instance you mentioned the smokem or exotek chassis, try to study what improvement these chassis makes, i.e maybe the ability to move todays heavier lipos closer to the cars centerline? If that is the case perhaps slotting some holes and moving the battery trays inwards might accomplish the same thing with much less cost, instead of dropping over $50 on a chassis on a car that is not worth much anymore.
The top pros actually have some tricks up their sleeve that they dont tell you eventhough you run the same model they do. There was this top pro in my country who would use HPI purple shock seals, they were so loose that oil would leak out from the shocks, after a day of practice he probably had to rebuild his shocks. why did he do that? Becuase he wanted the shocks to run on minimum stiction. Also they weight balance their cars. When my buddy asked how did he know where to place that 20g lead weight, he just chuckled without giving an answer. So you see there a lot of secrets floating around that could make your 416 a lot more formidable then it is now. Try to learn them up instead of buying new cars. New cars dont guarentee a win.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

I had a similar choice recent. I had a 416x and was deciding weather or not to keep it or move on. I didn't want to spend another $500+ on a new car plus spares. But when I saw the Spec R R1 for $289 I took the chance on it. I've been very pleased with my choice. But as stated above parts support for the 416 will be there for years to come. Plus some 417 upgrades will fit on the 416 also..so you'll be able to update your car also...
Old 12-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Burlap

I'm still running my (heavily modified) 415 in races these days, it's up to its 8th year of running. Sure some parts specific to the 415 are getting harder to find (like MRE centre shafts), however most other parts are easy to find, or upgrading suspension parts to 416/417 spec. Stick with what you have unless you have a big reason to change over (broken chassis)
Burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just couldn't find Tamiya lowerdeck for the 416WE and got the Exotek one.
The car was awesome and could easily keep up with the modern car.

However, I just upgraded to 417X since the upperdeck allows you to use all kind of LiPo batteries without moving the battery too far to the outside of the car on the 416WE.
Also almost impossible to find replacement part of the upperdeck for the 416WE, including the center pulleyholder if they are worn out.

In the figure, the mod I made for the battery connector on the 416WE.

The 417X has it's weight more centralized towards the center line of the chassis and therefore transitions faster.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I carry on using my 416we or buy new car-img-20120515-wa0007.jpg  
Mister-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #8
Tech Elite

If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket or are constantly .01 of a second behind number one who is racing the chassis you crave, I would say stick to it. A little ingenuity goes a long way.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-E View Post
I just couldn't find Tamiya lowerdeck for the 416WE and got the Exotek one.
The car was awesome and could easily keep up with the modern car.

However, I just upgraded to 417X since the upperdeck allows you to use all kind of LiPo batteries without moving the battery too far to the outside of the car on the 416WE.
Also almost impossible to find replacement part of the upperdeck for the 416WE, including the center pulleyholder if they are worn out.

In the figure, the mod I made for the battery connector on the 416WE.

The 417X has it's weight more centralized towards the center line of the chassis and therefore transitions faster.
if you have trouble getting a chassis for any car, do try fibrelyte from the UK. if they dont have the chassis you want, all you need to do is send in the original to be copied.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How often to change cars? It's always a tough one. Personally, I err on the side of keeping an old car. I'm driving a XX-4 still, and rather than buy a 12R5.2 I bought a new 12R5.1 instead. Why? Because it takes time to build up set-up knowledge. Knowing how your car will react in different conditions and what to do when those conditions change can be a significant advantage. But, this is only the case if you are the type of person who works on set-up often. If you run close to kit all the time then you don't really gain any knowledge to use.

A lot of the time someone will buy a new car and be immediately faster. That's not always because the new car is faster though. Often it is because they have a new build, and all the components are tight.

Electronics do advance though, and chassis designers make improvements in tune with those advancements. If you're mid to low-A field at your club in any class then you're probably going to benefit from the latest model more than someone further back. If you go this route, pick something that has been released very recently but is already regarded as one of the best around. Try also to pick something from a company that does incremental upgrades because then you can get a new car every couple of seasons and still retain all the set-up knowledge you've built up.
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
if you have trouble getting a chassis for any car, do try fibrelyte from the UK. if they dont have the chassis you want, all you need to do is send in the original to be copied.
Will they do broken chassis as well?
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Active View Post
Will they do broken chassis as well?
they cant fix a broken chassis, but if you are talking about copying a chassis that is broken, you would have to reglue it back then only send it to them for copying. Once a model has been copied it will be placed on their website so everyone else can order. Hopefully the broken pieces fit together like a new chassis dimensionally.