R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-08-2005, 12:01 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

One thing to remember is patients. It take years to develop good racing skills for most people. Like most people have said, there's usually some fast guys at the track who are more than willing to help others out. I enjoy helping people at the track. As far as a clinic or class, it'd be a good idea. The only problem really is, like I said, it takes years of experience to learn the ins and outs of racing. It'd be pretty hard to pack that into a few hours. But it could still help. One thing I found was a lot of help when I got back into racing were forums like this. I learned a ton from the people on here. Ask questions. I'm more than happy to help out anyone I can.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:25 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Also-have someone drive your car whenever the handling goes away and if they start messing with the radio-make sure they explain what they are doing.

Dont let them put EXPonential in your steering or throttle thinking its gonna make the car easier to drive for you.
Also-dont beat your head in trying to figure out whats-up w/ your car when it doesnt feel right.

My buddy was convinced he had a glitch in his radio. I drove it and it was horrible to drive. But I didnt feel any glitching. We put his car on the set-up board and found the problem was droop. he had so much that when he got on power out of corners his car just took off out of control of the steering. Got him back to good droop numbers and car was back to normal. he hadnt changed his droop enough when he went from tiny little tires to new tires (foam).

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:53 PM   #18
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jiveslug
Yeah, I dont know why no one steps up to do this.
TAOB Racing put on a demostration at a local church a few weekends ago just to stir up interest. We have something in the works. Hopefully we can get some "factory" guys to help us out.

i sent you a PM.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:07 PM   #19
Tech Adept

This is somewhat funny....
When i started racing around one and a half years ago, i got a crappy Xpress "touring" car, and som even worse 3000 packs.
Have anyone of you seen the Xpress touring car? Massive a-arms, wow that thing was durable! And an ancient GM stock, non-rebuildable. Borrowed charger and ESC.
Did anyone of you say slow? It certainly was fast enough to create chaos at my track, and i still go by the nickname "Crash".....
And it handled like shite, a total nightmare. So nervous, and twitchy. Well, anyways i got the hang of it after a while. But when i got the Pro4 in March one year ago, ironically enough i couldn't get it around the track. I was so used to the nightmare Xpress. Laptimes was even slower. By a week or so it was like on rails though.
Practice REALLY makes perfect. No bling gear will get you faster, spend money on race-time, tires and brushes.
Erlend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:09 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally posted by Hebiki
TAOB Racing put on a demostration at a local church a few weekends ago just to stir up interest. We have something in the works. Hopefully we can get some "factory" guys to help us out.

i sent you a PM.
Now thats putting your money where your mouth is-way to go!!
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:56 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Hebiki

i sent you a PM.
If you need some help with this, let me know. I can try to get up there with you guys.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

when I started racing, I went with associated, because I had bashed with them for a long time. I found that most of the guys that ran fast at the local track ran other cars, so I watched for a few weeks while trying to get the TC3 dialed, and decided to go with what a helpful guy in the pit across from me was running...and have had help in set up and hopefully come time to race a little advice on how do drive better!
Go Schumacher!!
hogdaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:48 PM   #23
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all the input on this one. I posted a thread asking if any So Cal novices would be interested in getting together to do a Novice Day/Night thing. That would be awesome. Thanks to the TAOB guys for steppin up!
Jiveslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:57 PM   #24
Tech Elite

You are doing the right thing. Unfortunately, the learning curve means broken parts and frustration;it's part of the hobby. The best thing to do is find experienced drivers that are willing to help, and be careful when you ask them. When you ask, make sure it's when it's a practise night, and the person you are asking has has experience with your car or product. Use plastic instead of graphite, the plastic breaks less and you won't be able to notice the difference yet, plus plastic tends to be cheaper. Pick a common car too, nothing exotic or expensive. An old TC3 or Losi XXXS would be a good start. Practise in a big open parking lot, where the objects you a driving near are forgiving or noon-existent, and practise practise practise. Good luck.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:09 PM   #25
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Funny you ask, we have a setup clinic a couple times each year here in Memphis. Sometimes a few show up, sometimes 8 or 10, but we just get together in my garage or at a track before a race and I kinda go over setting up a car, building shocks, etc. I usually use someone's car that I know is off pretty bad. During carpet season I also demonstrate how to true tires correctly etc. Sometimes we order pizza and cold beverages dep. on who is there...

Driving clincs are hard to do since our club is strictly temp, but I often try to go and stand by a racer(s) when practicing when I know that person is trying very hard to do better and give them a little quiet "coaching". It's hard to listen and drive so I limit what I say or ask them to stop if I need to explain something.

At one time I was planning on videoing one or two of the setup sessions and then going back and dubbing over it with narration after editing, but someone here on rctech told me they were already doing the same thing and it was already in the works so I didn't pursue it.

I also suggested ROAR should do this and GIVE the videos to hobby shops etc. to not only advertise r/c racing since most hobby shops have a television and VCR in the shop, but so they can let the new racers borrow it, copy it or even sell it for the price of the tape or DVD.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 05:44 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rayhuang
I just got my buddy started in the sport. His first words after his first pack was "Man-you guys make this look easy".

It isnt easy-but its gets easier. What you need is a mentor-someones whos been in the sport awhile and has his head screwed on stright.

Here are some tips on how I got my buddy started.

-he gets all my old tires
-he gets everyones used bodies
-bought a $150 used TC3 with some spares.
-loaned him packs, esc, servo to start.
-let him buy only consumables-no hop-ups-no bling.
-after a few weeks and he was hooked-he bought a GTX and a KO digital servo.

Ray
And just when I'm convinced there is little nobility left in this hobby....Mr. Huang steps up and proves there are still a few good souls left.
I say this because it addresses one of my pet peeves about this hobby. The dreaded " HARD CORE' syndrome. How many people have quit this hobby due to frustration and anger brought on because the "hard core" racers talked them , or should I say "pressured them" into getting equipment that was far beyond their abilities. God forbid they start out with a can motor car in a Tamiya GT3 class !!! For shame....that would be like riding around town on a tricycle...with no pants !!!
And as a race director and track equipment owner, let me say that these types of classes should be a part of many clubs but there not because to many "hard core" racers will bad mouth them and the club to the point where nobody will show up to race there. And why !!???....because it's considered bad form to actually go some place and race our toy cars just for the sake of having FUN.
I strongly believe in a "mentor" program. It would seriously help to keep many drivers involved in the hobby for a much longer period of time.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:06 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I see the bigger problem is the "seasoned" racers looking at the "newbies" and not wanting to put forth the effort in helping out. I pretty much hold a begginer class every other weekend. We have the track open on saturday night for practice (I may only run other peoples cars). If I see someone who has a car out of control, I will work with them to get a handle on it. The biggest problems I see are when the begginers try to re-think what all the "seasoned" drivers have known for years. Dont try to rethink the wheel, no hop up will make the car faster than simple practice. Try to keep the setup simple. Ask around as to what tires, springs, damper oils the others are using, THEN USE THOSE! Also for the sake of everyone else out there, do a radio master reset like once a month, to get rid of the "crap" you forgot you did to your "radio" to make your "car" handle better the last time you ran it, and someone helped you with it by tuning the radio instead of the car!
dsrbltoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:27 PM   #28
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HVFracingwilly

We actually have mentor program as we call it. We have about four or five guys that volunteered to help out anyone that was interested. Mainly it was A-main guys helping out the D-E main guys but it was all for free!!!! We would help them get there cars drivable and them give them pointers on going faster and understanding basic chasis setups. very neat program helped a couple of guys get out of the E-main.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:45 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to HK Racing Joe

may I recommed what one of the more experinced drivers said to me the first day I was ever driving. Go on a week night when the track is open but mostly empty. Take a mostly useless stock motor and a low voltage/old battery pack and drive the track at about 1/4-1/2 thorttle until you get comfortable with how the car handles, then keep adding throttle until you eventually get up to par with the other racers. This took me a few months so its only a good thing to do if you're in for waiting.
HK Racing Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:30 PM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would also like to recommend purchasing a Mini Z. This is a great training tool until Virtual RC came out. I started with an Xmod but mine kept braking due to my horrible driving. I soon found out about a Mini z and started running this almost anywhere I see smooth and empty lots like tennis courts, living rooms, etc. Once you get the hang of it, get some dots to make a track. Virtual RC is also a great training tool but of course you feel a little disonnected. Nothing wrong starting small.
revzalot is offline   Reply With Quote