Wiki Posts
Search

Thunder Tiger to buy Associated

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: AE reign is over....

Originally posted by RCknight
Honesty though, does Thunder Tiger have a reputation for very high quality products? Unless a new business philosophy is adopted AE will get worse.
why does it have to get worse? tt didnt get were they are by making crap. how many us rc companies can claim the are in the top ten in sales world wide?

when losi was bought out did things go bad? for consumers, no... for rival distributors, yes...

look at big industry; vw made better lamborghini & porsche, ford made range rover reliable, diamler makes a better looking/reliable chrysler.

i see a more dominate ae, with a stronger team and a faster development and quicker to production.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally posted by stonedgti
I think Linger knows more about the inner workings of AE than you do...I'm sure he has facts to support his comments. But of course he's not allowed to disclose it on the net.

It's a globalized market, and yes, you either swim or drown. That is the reality of things.

I am saddened that a innovative American company has been bought out. I just hope Thunder Tiger keeps the integrity of AE in tact, and design even better products.
Linger doesn't claim to be an AE insider...only to work with injection molded parts...could be a totally unrelated industry.

The fact of the matter is there are good shops and bad shops on both sides of the globe...butthe quality of molds, dies and and automation is viewed as being pretty good in North America. Some areas of Asia are as good..others are still getting up to speed.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

At least the first batch of plastics for the TC4 were molded domestically by a company that AE contracted for the job. I don't know if they've changed venders with later batches.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by stonedgti
I think Linger knows more about the inner workings of AE than you do...I'm sure he has facts to support his comments. But of course he's not allowed to disclose it on the net.
Linger said nothing about knowing the inner workings of AE, nor should it matter if he does. He made a generalized comment stating that molded parts from overseas are of better quality than parts made in this country. The point I was trying to make is that comment was made on a basis impossible to backup with facts. It can't be said that one country is better than another. You have to go on a shop-by-shop comparison. Sorry to keep this thread going in the wrong direction, but that comment was a little offensive to me.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

molded parts...has anybody built/seen a plastic model by Revel/Mongram (I believe to be a US company). Has anybody built/seen a plastic model by Tamiya, Hasegawa, Fujimi, etc.? That seems to be an apples to apples comparison of mold quality between US and Asian model makers
Old 04-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Fuzzy
Linger said nothing about knowing the inner workings of AE, nor should it matter if he does. He made a generalized comment stating that molded parts from overseas are of better quality than parts made in this country. The point I was trying to make is that comment was made on a basis impossible to backup with facts. It can't be said that one country is better than another. You have to go on a shop-by-shop comparison. Sorry to keep this thread going in the wrong direction, but that comment was a little offensive to me.
Hi Fuzzy,

PM sent. I sent over some of my experiences. It's true, not all US vendors suck, just the ones I worked with. Let's table this and keep this thead on topic.

Best Regards,
-Ling
Old 04-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

The way I see it, boycotting foreign companies does not make you patriotic. Work harder and smarter so that the US becomes more competitive in the global economy is patriotic.

Why don't you start your own RC company, design and build your car in the US, make it better than all the others, then sell it for $100 each. If you can do that, everyone will be buying your product. In no time you will be buying TT instead.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ling,

Replied to PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by jeffreylin
Why don't you start your own RC company, design and build your car in the US, make it better than all the others, then sell it for $100 each. If you can do that, everyone will be buying your product. In no time you will be buying TT instead.
Hey Jeffrey,

Obstacles to this - (just a few)

Average wage for employees/factory workers
Real Estate cost, purchasing, leasing or renting
Government Subsidy
Taxation
General cost of living

A manufacturer in the US HAS to design everything better than the competitors, because the cost is always going to be higher.

Give me 100 US workers that will be happy to be paid $5000/year, and I'll make this happen.

Sadly, the US has grown stagnant since the industrial age, while other countries have used US technology to surpass the US in manufacturing. All while doing it for a lot less because of the wages they pay to workers, and the influx of US dollars. A yearly wage in most Asian countries is less tha most US citizens could survive on for 2 months.

How do you compete with that? I offer that AE conceded they coudn't. =)

Most US companies are trying to survive in this climate, while overseas companies are trying to dominate. The deck is stacked in thier favor.

I read into this that the principles at AE want to cash out before retirement, which is their right, but it doesn't smell of trying to be competitive, unless your TT.

Mike
Old 04-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Looks like we gotta be on the lookout for taiwanese fingers packaged in our kits...
Old 04-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Unless I missed it, I do not see anything about TT buying AE and closing any plants in the US. I do not see anything wrong with it as long as TT is not buying AE just to close the competition.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:10 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Some of you are being very, very disrespectful in here. I don't want to see any more one word posts or ANYTHING disparaging any nationality.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Tech Adept

I think you missed the point a little. TT isn't going to close AE, AE is it's biggest customer. TT now has the power to do whatever they wish with AE, and the profits go directly to Taiwan instead of staying in the US. There are numerous financial positioning strategies they can use to bolster their portfolio on the Taiwan Stock Exchange.

More than likely TT will discontinue sourcing product for AE in the US over the next couple of years, and become the only vendor supplying AE, which in turn cuts out any contracts with US based suppliers, and results in more money leaving the US.

This is hardly a drop in the US Vs. the rest of the world bucket, but it is another example of how US business is suffering, and will continue to suffer until the playing field is leveled. Globalization works for some US companies now, but in the end, we will be the ones working in poor conditions for low wages once other countries control our manufacturing. Kind of like selling your soul for fame and fortune today, eventually you will be paying it back in spades.

Mike
Old 04-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i wish that you guys could see what shops in the US are up against when it comes to manufacturing against asian countries.i am in the business and have had to quote on parts that were also out for quote in china.the price they came in with was cheaper than i can buy the material for.there are talented machinists and moldmakers all over the world.what dictates quality is profit.if a US company is to make a mold for lets say,tranny housings for AE.they are bidding against other countries and businesses that literally cost nothing to run.goverment supplies them with everything.workers live in the upstairs of the factory and can live off of 25cents an hour.do you realize the average salary of a mold maker or tool and die maker is about $1.50 an hour in china.this is a very skilled person.these people are just as skilled as the people here making 60-70 g a year.the US cannot compete.unfortunately we have companies in the US that take advantage of this.they farm out all of there work over seas and destroy manufacturing in the US.other countries are not to blame,the greed of our own companies seem to be at the root of the problem.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

this mold took me 45 hours to machine.i could have shipped it out to china and had it made for less than the material cost
Attached Thumbnails Thunder Tiger to buy Associated-mold-pic-1.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.