R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-12-2005, 11:18 AM   #241
Tech Elite

Do you think Kinwald is going to renew with Losi this year? Guy must be bored out of his mind. What other company has a North American presence with the clout to support his racing?

Do you see him "retiring" instead?
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:53 AM   #242
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by AE Racer
If this is true it probably isnt good because we will probably see more cheap taiwanese parts infiltrating their way into associated kits.
The vast majority of the parts you have been using probably since you started in R/C have been produced by companies like CEN, Thunder Tiger, etc for a very long time because it is a lot cheaper. Its really nothing new for AE, HPI, Trinity etc.

I always laugh at comments like these because no one seems to have a problem with parts until its made public that an Asian company like TT or CEN has bought into an American or European company etc...

But to stay on topic, I dont think it will effect AE in the slightest. They will still continue to produce the designs and TT will continue to knock out the cheaper parts to keep the customer happy.
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:06 PM   #243
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Entropy
It was Honda that bought Rover.
It was definately BMW that bought Rover. According to the latest news it appears Rover will be closing its doors for good anyway.

Last edited by Palmaris Europe; 04-12-2005 at 12:16 PM.
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:24 PM   #244
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mason
Do you think Kinwald is going to renew with Losi this year? Guy must be bored out of his mind. What other company has a North American presence with the clout to support his racing?

Do you see him "retiring" instead?
Brian LOVES R/C racing and testing as much or more than anyone that has ever raced. He found something that he is exceptional at, how many people can say that? I do not see him retiring. I do not see him going to another team. How many other companies produce off road and on road cars? He will continue racing till he feels he is uncompetitive. That will be a long long time from now. He really really wants to win a major modified touring car race before he is done. He doesn't even club race off road anymore. He just races the big races that do not conflict with on road. He is getting paid to do what he loves the most. Unless he goes on the PBA tour you will be able to see him race at SoCal for a while.

Just my opinion.

Steve Chamberlain
SCIDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:31 PM   #245
Tech Master

What makes a part or a car for that matter good or bad is the engineering, R&D and design behind it.
wagonman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:51 PM   #246
Tech Adept

FYI. The cost of living in Taiwan is not that much differnt then it is in the USA. At least not from what I can tell based on my travel there. Food and the price for goods and services are very comperable to what it is in the USA.

Wages might be a little lower in some areas of Tawian, but not like pennys on the $$ as it may be in parts of China, etc...

Realestate costs in Tawian are way higher then they are in most of the USA...

What still and always has amazed me is that it's virtualy impossible to buy a electronic product cheaper in Taiwan then it is in the USA... Some times you can buy no-name brand electronics cheap, but anything with a real brand name on it is more or less exactly the same price in Taiwan as it is in the USA.
DynoMoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:06 PM   #247
Tech Adept

Here's another twist of fate for you who all may think Asian companys are taking over the USA.

My brother-in-law who was born and lives in Taiwan, now works for a american company based in Cleaveland Ohio. The company is named Graftech, they apparently hold many patetents on various graphite products... one of which is basicly the use of graphite components as heat sinking... they make things like laptop chassis that do not need cooling fans, etc... Sony is a customer of graftech as are many other asian companys...

As for US car companys... all I can say is they'd better figure out a way to make profits on something besides full sized/over sized trucks... or they will be out of business before you know it. With gas prices at over $2.30 a gallon the market for full sized trucks is bound to be drying up soon, if it hasn't already.
DynoMoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:33 PM   #248
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by DynoMoHum
As for US car companys... all I can say is they'd better figure out a way to make profits on something besides full sized/over sized trucks... or they will be out of business before you know it. With gas prices at over $2.30 a gallon the market for full sized trucks is bound to be drying up soon, if it hasn't already.
In a way one US car manufacturer already has found a way to compete with the foreign car makers. Ford owns Mazda and if you goto the Ford web site it shows Mazda, Vovlo, Jaguar, and Land Rover in the ads along with Fords. Many Mazda parts are already on many Ford made vehicles (a lot of parts for 4 cycliner engine vehicles). In a way, global companies are taking over, whether they are US based or Foreign based. Just depends on where the main office is located.
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #249
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by SCIDA
Brian LOVES R/C racing and testing as much or more than anyone that has ever raced. He found something that he is exceptional at, how many people can say that? I do not see him retiring. I do not see him going to another team. How many other companies produce off road and on road cars? He will continue racing till he feels he is uncompetitive. That will be a long long time from now. He really really wants to win a major modified touring car race before he is done. He doesn't even club race off road anymore. He just races the big races that do not conflict with on road. He is getting paid to do what he loves the most. Unless he goes on the PBA tour you will be able to see him race at SoCal for a while.

Just my opinion.

Steve Chamberlain
Steve, hopefully you read my message on the previous page. This one was a question to others. I don't see him retiring myself.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:12 PM   #250
Tech Adept

Default http://www.teamassociated.com/misc/thunder_tiger_announcement.htm

Formal Statement from AE.

"Due to the impending retirement of AE President, Roger Curtis, Associated Electrics and Thunder Tiger Corporation have begun negotiating a joint venture designed to streamline production and delivery of AE products domestically and internationally.

Associated brings solid name brand recognition to the table, which will pair perfectly with the tremendous manufacturing capability of Thunder Tiger Corporation. Both companies have worked together very successfully for more than six years to produce much of Associated's current line of products, with each company performing the services that best match their core abilities. That plan will not be affected by this potentially new venture. This guarantees that Associated's high standards for product quality and performance will remain intact.

Associated's relationship with our domestic distributors will remain the same. However, product availability and fill rates will improve. Associated's products will be available in more countries throughout the world.

Ownership of Associated has not changed, and its' personnel remains unchanged. Associated's team of highly motivated individuals stands ready to carry on the legacy that has made this company a legend in the R/C car racing industry.

Although a final agreement has yet to be reached, both parties are confident that a strong mutual business relationship will prove beneficial to both parties as well as their customers around the world.

We will update this company statement as more information becomes available."
Pembalap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:34 AM   #251
Tech Fanatic

I read through all the pages and the funniest thing is the people complaining about AE selling out to Thunder Tiger and then when you look at their signature it lists the cars they own and it says Xray, Evo3, Trf 415, etc. etc.

Maybe if you actually bought some AE products like a TC4 they wouldn't have to sell the company!!!!
DJG24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:59 AM   #252
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Re: http://www.teamassociated.com/misc/thunder_tiger_announcement.htm

Quote:
Originally posted by Pembalap
Formal Statement from AE.

"Due to the impending retirement of AE President, Roger Curtis, Associated Electrics and Thunder Tiger Corporation have begun negotiating a joint venture designed to streamline production and delivery of AE products domestically and internationally.

Associated brings solid name brand recognition to the table, which will pair perfectly with the tremendous manufacturing capability of Thunder Tiger Corporation. Both companies have worked together very successfully for more than six years to produce much of Associated's current line of products, with each company performing the services that best match their core abilities. That plan will not be affected by this potentially new venture. This guarantees that Associated's high standards for product quality and performance will remain intact.

Associated's relationship with our domestic distributors will remain the same. However, product availability and fill rates will improve. Associated's products will be available in more countries throughout the world.

Ownership of Associated has not changed, and its' personnel remains unchanged. Associated's team of highly motivated individuals stands ready to carry on the legacy that has made this company a legend in the R/C car racing industry.

Although a final agreement has yet to be reached, both parties are confident that a strong mutual business relationship will prove beneficial to both parties as well as their customers around the world.

We will update this company statement as more information becomes available."
That sounds eerily similar to the Daimler-Benz buyout of Chrysler. It's a 'Joint Venture'....however when one company buys a controlling interest in another country you can claim joint venture all you want.it's a buyout...I suspect that TTR will let that be known after everyone gets comfy with the new ownership situation.

People didn't mind as much when MB and Chrysler 'partnered'...they would have screamed bloody murder if it had been originally announced as a buyout.
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:06 AM   #253
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by DJG24
I read through all the pages and the funniest thing is the people complaining about AE selling out to Thunder Tiger and then when you look at their signature it lists the cars they own and it says Xray, Evo3, Trf 415, etc. etc.

Maybe if you actually bought some AE products like a TC4 they wouldn't have to sell the company!!!!
I have owned AE products in the past, and I'm sure i'll own AE products in the future. My experience with the TC4 made me realise why I previously loved my Xrays so much and sent me right back to an FK05. The poor fit on some of the AE parts actually drove me to purchase my first ever Losi vehicle too (XXXT-MF2)...

I still love Associated for off-road, but I just felt the need to test the waters. I'm Canadian, so the 'Buy Associated because it's American' argument doesn't matter much to me. The AE cars are positioned well enough in their market, but realise that Associated doesn't make a car in the same market segment as the Xray, TRF, etc cars taht you mentioned. If you attempt to hopup a TC4 to that level it is more expensive and still requires excessive hand fitting to make it reasonably comparable.
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 12:26 PM   #254
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Smile

The one thing I've always loved about AE is the support they provide for their products; parts have never been hard to find, even for older models. Assuming this doesn't change, I'll have no problem buying from AE.
SMcpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:46 PM   #255
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Screw it, I'm selling all my RC stuff and getting a horse? Who's with me?