Community
Wiki Posts
Search

D 3.5 17.5 VS OTHERS

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Just because it is fast does not mean it is not legal...

Originally Posted by EricW
Arent there some questions about the legality of the D3.5 motor?
The Team Epic D3.5 Based 17.5 spec motor was added to the Roar Approved List on May 30, 2012. The motor was designed to Roar specifications and is comletely legal. If it was not legal then it wouldn't be on the list.

Check the list yourself if you would like:
http://www.roarracing.org/approvals/....php?ordby=man

End of discussion!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You could really blow their minds and get yourself a Turnigy Trackstar 17.5T motor for $33. This is what I'm running and it's running all over the other guys in my club with all of the $90+ motors. Reedy, LRP etc. I'm very impressed with mine and have a lot of runs on it. It is noticeably faster than the other cars I race. Of course, the best motor on the planet will not make up for poor driving skills!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_2270KV.html
Old 12-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by KC10Chief
You could really blow their minds and get yourself a Turnigy Trackstar 17.5T motor for $33. This is what I'm running and it's running all over the other guys in my club with all of the $90+ motors. Reedy, LRP etc. I'm very impressed with mine and have a lot of runs on it. It is noticeably faster than the other cars I race. Of course, the best motor on the planet will not make up for poor driving skills!

Its funny u said that..i was running that motor..(4 the 1st time yesterday)..& it was faster then my ballistic & viper motor...i have 2 play with the timming & gearing alil more..i was coming off at 150-157 temps gear at a 4.0...i did some 9.9's...fast guys 9.7...that motor is nice
Old 12-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have the D3.5 and ran the 13.5 version in WGT...I went back to the trusty Duo 1 last week and went .6 of a second faster. It's seem to be better for Access than the 3.5 for me. I plan on trying the 3.5 again during the week and mess with less timing like mentioned before in this thread. I believe 0 on the indicator is at 30deg to start with. I'll bring a Duo 1 17.5 next Sunday for you to experiment with.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The fastest 17.5 iv seen is my Fantom Apex 17.5 (revtech based motor) with a 12.5 HT rotor. I run it geared at 31/69 with the end bell timing maxed out (blinky mode, 2wd buggy). I had a mod driver ask me what mod motor I was running yesterday in club racing. (we were doing practice laps together).

http://www.fantomracing.com/proddeta...prod=FAN27917S
Old 12-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by j.d.roost
I honestly don't care for these motor/esc "pick of the day" threads as I believe they tend to jack up the cost of racing for the average Joe racer.
That is the cost of dumping boost and going backwards to blinky, batt/motor wars again.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by starrx
all im sayn i dont want the same motor as 20 of the ppl i race with
Why do you care what motor everyone else is running? This isn't a fashion show, it is racing. Find what works the best for you and produces the fastest overall times. If it happens to be the same motor as everyone else, so be it.

But to decide not to run a fast motor simply to be different is just silly.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris moore
That is the cost of dumping boost and going backwards to blinky, batt/motor wars again.
agree.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Tech Regular

might be a silly question...but why did they dump boost in the first place? I got deployed in in Feb 2011, got back March 2012 and had to actually ask someone what "blinky" meant...LOL...I was out of the loop...when I left I remember 17.5 was just that...but I remember I was trying to upload Tekin's Vegas software, a very early verison! LOL in theory, "blinky" seems like it would work for beginning racers such as myself, but I can see what you guys mean by the battery and motor war being game on....
Old 12-10-2012, 05:05 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KC10Chief

Its funny u said that..i was running that motor..(4 the 1st time yesterday)..& it was faster then my ballistic & viper motor...i have 2 play with the timming & gearing alil more..i was coming off at 150-157 temps gear at a 4.0...i did some 9.9's...fast guys 9.7...that motor is nice

i was interested in the trackstar motor as well, but it is not on the roar approval list. i think the most reliable check is the stator inductance? if it is above or below a threshold then it is not considered legal for a given spec. (i don't have an inductance meter either to check with)
Old 12-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah. People don't want to believe that a $33 motor is faster than their $100 motor. I also use a $63 Brushless Hobbies LT4 80A ESC. I have less than $100 invested in my ESC and motor and in my opinion, it's just as good if not better than the $300 systems everybody else is running. I catch everybody on the straights. My ESC is nice and smooth and the whole thing works great. I get checked every week to make sure I'm in blinky mode and I don't have my end bell turned up. Nobody is mad about it or anything as most of us are just racing for a good time. But most people are usually surprised at what I'm running and what I paid for it.

There are a LOT more motor brands out there than there are actual motor manufacturers. Something to think about.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have been running the Team Powers Plutonium motors and have been very happy with them. I run them in both 17.5 touring car and 13.5 12th scale. The timing can be adjusted to 40 deg. +/-. They are a pretty quick motor and they are ROAR approved.

Steve P.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
Why do you care what motor everyone else is running? This isn't a fashion show, it is racing. Find what works the best for you and produces the fastest overall times. If it happens to be the same motor as everyone else, so be it.

But to decide not to run a fast motor simply to be different is just silly.
I never been a follower...i like 2 try different things..i run the hobbywing justock esc..(no body else do)..i ran viper stuff when nobody did..(love da esc)..ran the mamba max pro..(still do in usgt..very powerful)..i want a tekin gen 2 motor.y? Because nobody runs it...i jus like 2 think out side da box..& i also want a spec r r1 tc..but i do very well as a racer
Old 12-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EricW
Arent there some questions about the legality of the D3.5 motor?
No that was all made up due to the fact that someone didn't like that you could gear it higher and not have it get as hot and have more power and punch.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I also run the Turnigy Trackstar and its no joke! for $33 plus the fact that all reedy sonic parts are interchangeable its a smoking deal on a very powerful and smooth motor. Roar approval is only that if you track follows and checks it to a tee....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.