R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badKarma View Post
might be a silly question...but why did they dump boost in the first place?
Man thats a loaded question, there was lots of heated debates over the issue. The main reason I heard for the change was that boost was driving racers away because thay could'nt figure it out and quit. Mabey that was happening some places, dont know as it was'nt an issue here. Personaly I figure it was a money issue because several manufactuers were upset at being left behind as Tekin was the first in the market. Like I said I dont really know the reason(reasons) I can only guess baised on what I read and heard, and yes now every week you see multiple threads on which batt/motor is best for 17.5, or 21.5, or whatever. And the answer is always the same, the new motor thats being released each week, go figure.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
Old 12-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #32
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief View Post
You could really blow their minds and get yourself a Turnigy Trackstar 17.5T motor for $33. This is what I'm running and it's running all over the other guys in my club with all of the $90+ motors. Reedy, LRP etc. I'm very impressed with mine and have a lot of runs on it. It is noticeably faster than the other cars I race. Of course, the best motor on the planet will not make up for poor driving skills!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_2270KV.html
I have been looking at those motors too, they look good.
The D3.5 is fast and competitive u just have to know how to gear it. Its really about the driver, orion and reedy are just as quick and often fill the top spots locally.

Last edited by kinga; 12-22-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #33
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
Man thats a loaded question, there was lots of heated debates over the issue. The main reason I heard for the change was that boost was driving racers away because thay could'nt figure it out and quit. Mabey that was happening some places, dont know as it was'nt an issue here. Personaly I figure it was a money issue because several manufactuers were upset at being left behind as Tekin was the first in the market. Like I said I dont really know the reason(reasons) I can only guess baised on what I read and heard, and yes now every week you see multiple threads on which batt/motor is best for 17.5, or 21.5, or whatever. And the answer is always the same, the new motor thats being released each week, go figure.
Haha boost is a Pain, takes alot of time to get it right and gives guys with alot of time on their hands a big advantage. Blinky is great as you really only have three tuning settings, gear ratio, motor temp and motor timing, doesnt take alot of time to get it right. Going to a new track you can easily tune the motor and leaves you time to get the car setup right.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah. The Turnigy is not ROAR approved. I've raced at a lot of places and nobody ever checks to see if your equipment is ROAR approved. Is it a 17.5 motor? Yup. Good to go. To me, ROAR approved means it costs $90. Nobody cares at my club. I like to race to have a good time. I'm pretty competitive, but am just doing it for fun like most people. I don't know if I'd want to race anywhere where somebody is coming around and inspecting my car to see if it's ROAR approved or not. That's just me.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

I think it comes down to how anal the tech crew will be on checking cars. our races spec roar approved goods but most of the races ive been part of just tech the class specifics.. ride height, weight, blinky? turncount ect. hardcase lipo? basically, does your car meet spec and is safe...
im pretty sure no one would be turned away because of no roar stickers.

seems kind of silly. a money making measure and im sure it has a lot to do with people not wanting to get into racing at the end of the day.

but you did get me thinking if my new redline gen 2 rpm is approved or not heh. tekin says it puts out 2700kv which seems like a lot for a 17.5 it was as fast as any of the d3.5 cars, in fact had some extra pull further down the straight. very happy with it.

in single cell though. haven't tried it in two cell, maybe i will this weekend. used the reedy for that as i have both rotors.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
Old 12-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #36
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
I think it comes down to how anal the tech crew will be on checking cars. our races spec roar approved goods but most of the races ive been part of just tech the class specifics.. ride height, weight, blinky? turncount ect. hardcase lipo? basically, does your car meet spec and is safe...
im pretty sure no one would be turned away because of no roar stickers.

seems kind of silly. a money making measure and im sure it has a lot to do with people not wanting to get into racing at the end of the day.

but you did get me thinking if my new redline gen 2 rpm is approved or not heh. tekin says it puts out 2700kv which seems like a lot for a 17.5 it was as fast as any of the d3.5 cars, in fact had some extra pull further down the straight. very happy with it.

in single cell though. haven't tried it in two cell, maybe i will this weekend. used the reedy for that as i have both rotors.
If you go by the "kv" ratings Trinity rates the D3.5 at 3700kv http://www.trinityrc.net/shop/index....product_id=397
Old 12-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #37
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

I don't lol but that seems high too. into 13/10.5 territory.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
Old 12-11-2012, 01:31 AM   #38
Tech Addict

KV rating is a crock, it is just a measurement of the RPM/volt not of the actual power output. wattage is a better measurement

Last edited by kinga; 12-22-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #39
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Two of those guys ran different motors this week (d3.5->revtech, ballistic->d3.5) and where running about same laptime as last week. Those top 2 are a-main locks at the regional level so driving has more than a lttle to do with it. It seems like they are faster but they are just carrying more corner speed so theyget going faster on the straight.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #40
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrx View Post
I never been a follower...i like 2 try different things..i run the hobbywing justock esc..(no body else do)..i ran viper stuff when nobody did..(love da esc)..ran the mamba max pro..(still do in usgt..very powerful)..i want a tekin gen 2 motor.y? Because nobody runs it...i jus like 2 think out side da box..& i also want a spec r r1 tc..but i do very well as a racer
Again... this isn't a fashion show, this is racing. You don't score any points for "being different". You do, however, score points for having a fast car and being a talented driver. Those two things are not mutually inclusive, though, and a good racing program addresses all aspects equally well.

Choosing your equipment based on the fact that "no body else do" is beyond the scope of my comprehension. I'll just leave it at that...
Old 12-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #41
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The thing I dont like about the 3.5 is how bad that old school purple looks in my xray and the revtech blue/orange combo isnt great either, does anyone know how a3.5 stator runs with revtech ends?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #42
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah. The Turnigy is not ROAR approved. I've raced at a lot of places and nobody ever checks to see if your equipment is ROAR approved. Is it a 17.5 motor? Yup. Good to go. To me, ROAR approved means it costs $90. Nobody cares at my club. I like to race to have a good time. I'm pretty competitive, but am just doing it for fun like most people. I don't know if I'd want to race anywhere where somebody is coming around and inspecting my car to see if it's ROAR approved or not. That's just me.
At my track, I'm sure nobody cares if it's Roar approved either, as long as what you're running doesn't have a clear advantage over the Roar legal stuff. But if I'm killing everyone on the straight, I'm sure people will start to care.

Have you run your Turnigy against guys with D3.5? How does it compare?
Old 12-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts View Post
The thing I dont like about the 3.5 is how bad that old school purple looks in my xray and the revtech blue/orange combo isnt great either, does anyone know how a3.5 stator runs with revtech ends?
I am and its fast enough .3 behind EA and mix up fast laps with all the other racers in spec...
Old 12-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Well Said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
Again... this isn't a fashion show, this is racing. You don't score any points for "being different". You do, however, score points for having a fast car and being a talented driver. Those two things are not mutually inclusive, though, and a good racing program addresses all aspects equally well.

Choosing your equipment based on the fact that "no body else do" is beyond the scope of my comprehension. I'll just leave it at that...
Well Said!
RC America - XRay - Hudy - Maclan Racing - Xpert Servos - Schelle Racing Innovations - AKA Racing Products - DE Racing - Sticky Kicks - Sanwa
Old 12-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #45
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
You could really blow their minds and get yourself a Turnigy Trackstar 17.5T motor for $33. This is what I'm running and it's running all over the other guys in my club with all of the $90+ motors. Reedy, LRP etc. I'm very impressed with mine and have a lot of runs on it. It is noticeably faster than the other cars I race. Of course, the best motor on the planet will not make up for poor driving skills!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_2270KV.html
I can't seem to find that motor on the ROAR approval list.

http://www.roarracing.com/approvals/...lessmotors.php

**** "Luxury" ****
Closed Thread