R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-06-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet
Default novak smart tray

someone please tell me my novak smart tray which i just got didnt just burn up. My buddy stuck his battery pack on there and it was the wrong way and his pack started popping and hissing. I threw a towel over the pack so the batteries that were spitting stuff out didnt get on anything, and i grabbed the cells off the tray. Damn those cells got hot and fast, the solder melted and the battery bars got loose. Now i dont have any packs to check and see if this tray is still functional, cause i just ordered a bunch of packs, and they havent come in yet. Some one please tell me my buddy didnt fry my brand new smart tray.
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 10:03 PM   #2
Tech Master

wow that's weird did the batteries ever cause any trouble before?
axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 10:04 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Can you still adjust the voltage on the tray?
revzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 10:12 PM   #4
Tech Elite

my buddy put the pack in the wrong way thats why they blew up

Yes i can still change the voltage when its plugged in and there is no pack on it.

when you put the pack on it do you have to do anything if the desired voltage is at where you want it to be at? Or does it start automatically?
Old 04-06-2005, 10:14 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

First press the button without the pack on the tray until you get desired voltage to be safe. Then stick the pack on and be sure you line up the bars to the tray's diagram and press the button to dishcarge.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:15 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

BTW, please dispose the corroded packs to recycling center. Please preserve the environment.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:15 PM   #7
Tech Master

that happened to me too. the tray will not start discharging til u press the button.
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 10:19 PM   #8
Tech Elite

since we were going to try and see how it worked with the pack he blew up, can someone tell me how it works lol. do the lights come on as the cells are equilized? Or do the lights start on and go off as the cells are equilized
Old 04-06-2005, 10:24 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

The lights go on which indicates the equalizing process is on. When all the lights below each turns off then equalizing process is done.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:02 PM   #10
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Just make sure the contacts are clean after that mishap with your friend's battery... generally when you put in a battery backwards and it shorts like that it will leave residue on the contacts... clean those and next time pay careful attention to the polarity of the pack's terminals... if you look closely you will see that there are little pictures of battery bars on the faceplate of the tray... line up the battery bars on your pack with these and the positive and negative terminals of the back and you should be fine.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:27 AM   #11
Tech Elite

what if theres a little bit of solder on a few of the clips? from when the battery got super hot and blew up. Should i heat up the clip and get the solder off it ?
Old 04-07-2005, 08:36 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Default Back to Novak

Tell you buddy to belly up and pay the postage back to Novak for a lookey, contact Charlie, He'll get it checked out and fixed if need be.
Ducati-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:38 AM   #13
Tech Elite

who charlie ? and where do i get in contact with him ?
Old 04-07-2005, 08:53 AM   #14
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

go to www.teamnovak.com and click on the download link... there will be service repair forms there...

Or you can call (949) 833 8873
Old 04-07-2005, 09:01 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Default Novak Service - Excellent

One of the reasons I run Novak stuff is because of their service and warranty policy.....these guys race and love the hobby.

Charlie posts on here and races - he is the lead service guy and will do you right.

I've sent stuff in and they check it for free and you pay postage, they've replaced switches cuz I can't micro fiddle and it's done right.

Get it checked out - it may look and run right, but it could also screw up expensive packs and you'd never know it, why take a chance with electronics?

bill in ca
Ducati-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote