R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadman1981 View Post
I've never heard of Spec-R, it would be dumb to ask "are they good cars" because at this point they pretty much all are so similar.

Where do you guys get your parts from for this car?

I took the TC6.1 off my list - just because of the comments on here!

ta04evah - how is the 3Racing Sakura Zero?
Keven Hebert, the fastest driver in Quebec and one of the fastest drivers in the world, runs a TC6.1.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #17
Tech Regular

I can only speak for the cars that i have owned and driven myself:

Sakura (XI) nice built car, couldnt get it to suite my drivingstyle, and its quite fragile in the suspension, the arms and hubs breaks even in quite slow crashes..ended up with an all xray part suspension minus the arms,, i dont recommend the car tbh

TC6.1, the car isnt as good in build quality, but with some small fixes its as good as the other brands. handles quite well, has a broad setup window, which was the main reason that i sold it, only practice one time a month and i just dont have the time to test it out enough.. but its right up there with the others in performance, i really love the gear diff in that car! very durable, in 60packs and some really hard hits nothing has broken. only upgrade that is really important imo is the rsd bladders for the shocks.

Spec R R1, thats the car i have right now, build quality is good, have just 1 practice session with the car and its really good out of the box! was as fast as with my tc6.1 on the first pack, feels like the car has alot of potential, only negative thing that i can say is that the geardiff leaks, will have to find a way to make that stop... will test some more this weekend, and have my first race meeting next weekend with it.
if you are looking at a more budget based car i think that the spec r s1 is unbeatable for the price ($120)
Old 12-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Sorry, didn't want to insult the X-Ray, i'm sure it's a great car, i only hear good things, but it's hard for some strange reason to get parts for it in Canada, even online/ebay!
I order xray stuff from www.nexusracing.com all the time. It's in the US, but I usually get things from there quicker than if I ordered from some Canadian shops.

Great Hobbies stocks xray. www.greathobbies.com they are in Canada.
Lou's Speedway, near London, ON. also has quite a bit of xray parts, but Lou doesn't have an online store. www.lousspeedway.com
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Quote:
Hi guys, there is a new on-road track that is opening up soon near where i live.

The last time i bought a touring car, it was the HPI RS4 Pro 2 - it was just released! How times have changed since the last time i was into compeditive on-road!

I am now shopping and reading online for what kit and electronics to get. I have asked other guys who will be racing at the track what they have, and it ranges from HPI Sprint 2s, TC6s, X-Rays, all the way to a Schumachers. It's all over the place. And local hobby shops carry pretty much anything they can order.

Here are some of the interesting cars i am considering (in no order)
Team Magic E4RSII
Yokomo BD-7
Tamiya TRF417 v5
3Racing Sakura Zero
Spec-R R1

What are your thoughts? Why do people say the TC6 isn't a 'quality' car compared to others? Something i'm missing?

I didn't put the X-ray T4, not that i don't like it, it's actually one of the brands i can't get parts for easily.

Thank you for your help.
Where do you plan to run ?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I've never heard of Spec-R, it would be dumb to ask "are they good cars" because at this point they pretty much all are so similar.

Where do you guys get your parts from for this car?

I took the TC6.1 off my list - just because of the comments on here!

ta04evah - how is the 3Racing Sakura Zero?
It's a good car, well for me that is and it has been somewhat upgraded from the plastic parts it originally started out with.
The latest version being the Sakura xi dh gets good reviews. I also like the availability & price of the parts which can be bought online.
In regards to it's performance it's helped me to be more consistent at racing and reduce my lap times a little.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #21
Tech Addict

I am reading a lot about the VBC Wildfire, looks like a great car!

Greathobbies has some x-ray stuff, but they are slow to ship to me when i order, 3 weeks, sometimes longer! and they're not that far away from me!

The TC6.1, what are the upgrades people generally do? The main negative comments (i'm not saying they're the only ones i hear!) are that there is slop in the parts and the plastics are weak

How can i get in touch with Keven Hebert?
Cadman1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
I am reading a lot about the VBC Wildfire, looks like a great car!

Greathobbies has some x-ray stuff, but they are slow to ship to me when i order, 3 weeks, sometimes longer! and they're not that far away from me!

The TC6.1, what are the upgrades people generally do? The main negative comments (i'm not saying they're the only ones i hear!) are that there is slop in the parts and the plastics are weak

How can i get in touch with Keven Hebert?
When I order from nexusracing, it usually takes 3-4 business days to get to my door. I've never ordered from GH before.

Keven has a thread on here
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...reedy-lrp.html
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #23
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The VBC might be a bit frustrating for you getting started since durability is suspect.

Honestly, it's hard to recommend anything but XRay to a newcomer since the durability far exceeds other brands, and it's a pretty damn good car too.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you still have the HPI RS4 Pro 2 I'd pull it out of its box and race it for a while. That'll give you a chance to see what others like at your home track before making a decision. Also, the car will still be more than competitive in 17.5 blinky.
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
The VBC might be a bit frustrating for you getting started since durability is suspect.

Honestly, it's hard to recommend anything but XRay to a newcomer since the durability far exceeds other brands, and it's a pretty damn good car too.
+1000000
Sean B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #26
Tech Regular

The tc6.1 has alot of sloop out of the box, but if you just shim the suspension and drill a 2.5mm hole and put a setscrew in the caster block and rear hub its just fine! I had some really nasty full speed crashes with it and nothing broken. The car seems to be very durable to me
Old 12-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #27
Tech Regular

I have the TC6.1 WC as well. I love this car. The majority of the guys I race are driving X-ray cars and I smoke those fools every week! Not really, but my car is just as competitive. I have had some hard hits and nothing has ever broken. The only upgrades I have made, was some Dual Cardan Joints (DCJs) and the shock bladders from Reflex Racing. I don't think there's a lot of slop at all. The one thing I like about the X-ray better than the TC6.1, is the steering servo setup. You can modify the TC6.1 to have the sideways mounted servo as well. I love mine. It's fast, just as competitive out of the box as an X-ray and it's reliable as heck. I never have issues. I just charge the batteries and go. I have to blow the carpet dust out of it every once in a while. If I had it to do all over again, I'd get the TC 6.1 again.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean B. View Post
+1000000
Add another 0 to that figure.
tc3jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #29
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sakura zero or zero s drove mine through hell today and all I lost was a servo screw wasnt tight to begin with darn dusty track but it was fun .it took some high speedp smacks on a metal rail at about 50 mph "first time driving on a track ot attempting to lol"
strrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #30
Tech Addict

I WISH i still had the HPI Pro2! Now i have it's distant cousin, a HPI Sprint 2, with an exotek chassis, and many mods to it to remove the slop, RPM cups, Pro4 parts, etc

You can see it on here hpi sprint 2 mods making silk purse sows ear

This will help me get back into the swing of things for now.
Cadman1981 is offline   Reply With Quote