R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-06-2005, 03:52 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Default Starting Electric

Hello people winter is coming over here and i am going to start running electric indoor. What i need to know as an electric newbie is...

What do all those numbers mean on matched battery pack stickers? adjusting timeing on moddified motors what is this all about? Different brushes? and Motor winds e.g Single, Double and Triple?

Thanks in advance for your help
Brett.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:29 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Come and talk to me at next indoor meet and I will teach you about all the black magic
Old 04-06-2005, 01:01 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Numbers on the batteries:
The Voltage is the average voltage during discharge. The higher the better usually. Good packs will be between 1.170-1.180.

Runtime is the run time of the cell from full charge to .9v cutoff during matching. Higher is desirable.

IR is the internal resistance of the cells (the numbers vary based on the software the matcher uses.) Lower is better though. Some cells, i.e. Fukuyama will have numbers in the teens, IR's of 12-14 are good on those. Some matchers will be in the 3-5 range.

Make sure if you're trying to compare cells, that they were all discharged at 30 amps. Some matchers are matching at 35 amps and it actually will lower the numbers on the label because of the higher discharge rate. Some like Reedy "Realtime" only take the voltage from the first five minutes of the discharge cycle instead of all the way down to the cutoff like most others. Their voltage numbers will look very high compared to others.

Mod motors: Changing the timing will change the power band of the motor. More advanced timing will yield more top end and less timing will yield more bottom end. The lower the turn, the more speed. Single and double winds refer to how many strands of wire are used. 8x1 (eight single) has one strand of wire wrapped around each pole eight times. A 10x2 has two strands of wire wrapped ten times around the poles. Usually a double will have smaller wire than a single. The lower winds, singles, doubles will give more rip out of the corners. Higher will be much more smooth. TC's usually stick with singles and doubles where off road guys like the more mild power of the triples etc. since there's less grip generally.

Brushes and brush springs: That's very dependent on a lot of things. Basically, there are different compounds and spring tensions which give different power capabilities as well as different wear capabilities. Usually you're balancing speed with wear. Different motors like to have different brushes, timing, gearing etc...

Did I just write all that?
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:30 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Fathead ... I will take u up on that offer Thankyou

Jon Kerr .. Wow Thanks for all the info i have been racing gas and all we do is put the fuel in and go! i didnt realise there was so much to batteries and motors Thankyou again for all the info
Old 04-06-2005, 01:44 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Default Electric

The cool thing about electric is that is allows you more time to tinker and set up your car, rather than motor, motor, motor, motor.........car set up. HOWEVER.....there is nothing like the smell of glow fuel.
My 2 cents anyway.
Stenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Yep im looking forward to trying somthing new and i dont have to find a pit man! but ah yes there is nothing like the smell of that burning fuel
Old 04-06-2005, 01:50 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Brett: Anytime. I'm the other way around. The only thing nitro I have is a REVO and it's for goofing around and probably isn't tuned just right. I'm definitely not a GASHOLE
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 05:26 PM   #8
Tech Elite

To me gas is the other way around. Although fun, gas is about fuel, needles either low, mid or high, measuring temperature, cleaning the dirty car, etc. I think electric is easier, but I'm sure it's a comfort thing for most people.