Community
Wiki Posts
Search

droop settings

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 12:23 AM
Tech Addict

Default droop settings

So that I can understand better, when someone say that the set their ride height let say 5mm and they set the droop 2mm over ride height this means ride height is now 7mm?

Next guestion is it best to setup ride height and droop settings using setup wheels or can you use the car tires ( rubber tire)?

Last question you set your droop before ride height?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2012, 12:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

this should help you understand. Grainger explains droop at 6min 50sec
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bigtee
So that I can understand better, when someone say that the set their ride height let say 5mm and they set the droop 2mm over ride height this means ride height is now 7mm?

Next guestion is it best to setup ride height and droop settings using setup wheels or can you use the car tires ( rubber tire)?

Last question you set your droop before ride height?

Thanks
Nope, it means your ride hight is 5mm, when you lift the car up to 5+2=7mm off the ground the wheels will start to lift off the ground. It is better to use setup wheel as it is not soft so the droop setting is more accurate.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

great explanation.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gpm-parts.com
Nope, it means your ride hight is 5mm, when you lift the car up to 5+2=7mm off the ground the wheels will start to lift off the ground. It is better to use setup wheel as it is not soft so the droop setting is more accurate.
While this makes sense, you need to make sure your setup wheels are the same diameter as your wheels. Any difference will lead to a ride height difference which can in turn affect your droop settings. I honestly stopped using my setup wheels long ago. I set ride height and then droop, take off the wheels, unhook swaybars and shocks and set downtravel, rehook those up, put it on the setup station and set camber, caster, toe, back to wheels and tires and confirm ride height and droop. If either changes more then 1mm from my first settings, I repeat it all again to find out where I messed up.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

I use my race race tires to do ride height and tweak but use setup wheels to do droop in order to remove the squish factor the tires have
Old 12-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

How is the orh method better than downstop measurement? Cant click the vid on iphone but you would do this method after tweaking the car id guess? or before.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by valk
How is the orh method better than downstop measurement? Cant click the vid on iphone but you would do this method after tweaking the car id guess? or before.
Not better, but it is a better comparison car to car. Downstop is measured under the arm or c-hub/upright, and the actual position and relative relation to the chassis can vary. ORH can be compared with any brand or make of car.

Downstop is more accurate imho.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

I made a little video about this a few months back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQt6iv175mw
Old 12-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

But wouldnt you need to
Make sure your downstops were the same left right anyway? After setting ride height and you check your tweak, how could you adjust orh droop accurately left/right?

Seems like the hudy downstop tool is transferable between chassis if you
Measure from the same
Location?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Set your ride height. Then for a 2mm over ride height setting, put your chassis on the 7mm mark and adjust so the wheels just touch the board. No worry about the tires squishing and the ride height isn't doing anything at this point.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by valk
But wouldnt you need to
Make sure your downstops were the same left right anyway? After setting ride height and you check your tweak, how could you adjust orh droop accurately left/right?

Seems like the hudy downstop tool is transferable between chassis if you
Measure from the same
Location?
I check tweak independent of everything else. It is usually apparent if you can't level the ride height while having even shock adjusters though.

All droop gauges (which actually measure downstop) are transferable if you can determine a common location on the arm/hub/upright that is equi-distant from the axle. Just saying it makes my brain hurt, but trying to compare an Xray T4 to my Serpent S411, ORH is much easier. Doesn't mean it is not possible, but the terms become more universal.

There is a reason the Hudy book not only tells you how to measure downstop, but where as well.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:34 AM
Tech Addict

I actually dispise the over ride height method, far too many variables that effect the result,

Blocks or axle height is the only way to measure consistently time to time.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Luke Hobson
I actually dispise the over ride height method, far too many variables that effect the result,

Blocks or axle height is the only way to measure consistently time to time.
This is true to a point, however when you run tires that have different diameters (ride or sorex for example), the block method becomes redundant as 6 and 5 on the blocks with give a different amount of droop on both tires.

The over ride height method is transferable between tires.

I do use the block method though.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Tech Addict

It depends how often you check droop lol, I check it every run.
Plus you shouldn't be running the same droop between those tires anyway lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.