R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default The ideal Touring car 1/10

I have been reading up on a few threads, everytime someone posts info on a new Touring car, everyone says "it's a copy of this, it's un-original", etc.

So lets throw out ideas on here, what would be the ideal Touring car?

Here are my ideas
- Stubby battery, down the middle of the chassis.
- the motor would be near the center, behind the battery
- Servo that is short, and standing up, near the front to help with the balance of the car.
- Awesomatrix shock/spring setup
- it would be a 3 belt system, similar like the Team Magic car in 2009, but they didn't have stubby batteries back then!
Cadman1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Wouldn't 3 belt cause more drivetrain loss?
Vostok 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

There is a thread regarding touring car design. You might get more results there.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Tech Regular

here is one of the design i like.,,
center battery and soo on.
Zooberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Shop Owner

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

This was the worst decision HPI ever did!! Almost destroyed the company.
Very soon HB had their own conversion for the HPI Pro3 which was a success but Pro3 had already lost confident of people.

Don't ask me why that happened but this is the case with that kit

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to JiuHaWong

I would like to see a refined version of the Tamiya 414M2, Xray T1, HPI Pro 2 layouts.

I still believe that with saddle packs, these cars were the best balanced of any of the touring car layouts. Some minor adjustments for brushless motors (most likely motor offset) would make them perfectly balanced. Some new transmission gear ratios, gear diffs, new suspension geometry, Suspension mounts like the SpecR R1 and maybe a little narrowing of the chassis and I bet they would be competitive.
JiuHaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to JiuHaWong

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnick View Post
Very soon HB had their own conversion for the HPI Pro3 which was a success but Pro3 had already lost confident of people.

+1 I stopped running HPI when that car was released. Returned back to them when the Pro 4 was released.
JiuHaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiuHaWong View Post
I would like to see a refined version of the Tamiya 414M2, Xray T1, HPI Pro 2 layouts.

I still believe that with saddle packs, these cars were the best balanced of any of the touring car layouts. Some minor adjustments for brushless motors (most likely motor offset) would make them perfectly balanced. Some new transmission gear ratios, gear diffs, new suspension geometry, Suspension mounts like the SpecR R1 and maybe a little narrowing of the chassis and I bet they would be competitive.
Well, i have already done that. My Kawada SV-10 II (same generation as Pro2 and TRF414M)is fitted with shorty packs, and TRF417 gear diffs with 18T center pulley to give the car an internal ratio of 2.05. The front rear balance is slighly towards the rear, a big improvement over the original design with Sub C which made the rear very heavy.

Last edited by alcyon; 12-02-2012 at 06:30 PM.
alcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Cool car, got any shots of the chassis??
Old 12-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadman1981 View Post
Cool car, got any shots of the chassis??

The whole car

Chassis only. I am planning to design my own lipo shorty pack chassis once this one wears off, which is probably in a few years. I have been using this car for 7 years now, its already 11 years old.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnick View Post

I bought one of these when they were first released and the car quality was very poor. Everything was plastic as opposed to the Pro-2 that was carbon fiber. On top of that the car was plagued with durability issues, the chassis would crack in the rear along the battery tray, the diff outdrives would fall apart quickly, and the pivot pins on the outside had to be glued in or cut to have a notch to keep them from falling out. Too bad the HB version never made it to the US, Hara made the car look really good.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
Chassis only. I am planning to design my own lipo shorty pack chassis once this one wears off, which is probably in a few years. I have been using this car for 7 years now, its already 11 years old.

How does the car handle differently with the shorty pack? Hobbyking has 2 lipos that are shortys and i was curious to try them. It must not shift as much weight when turning side to side because of the less over hang, but what else is different?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
How does the car handle differently with the shorty pack? Hobbyking has 2 lipos that are shortys and i was curious to try them. It must not shift as much weight when turning side to side because of the less over hang, but what else is different?
there are 2 big advantages. yes there is less overhang so less roll. the car is also much quicker in accelaration and cornering becuase the shorties are only 206g. No doubt the mah is lower but i still get really great runtimes and I dont heat up my motor becuase i dont run so long like over 8 minutes.
A standard high capacity lipo these days are about 320g-330g. That would put my car to about 1520g. With the shorties its now only about 1388g.
I did quite a few mods to the car concerning placement of servo and ESC. I shifted the servo and ESC as far forward as possible and also the batteries as far forward as possible. Becuase of that the rear weight bias is only 20g as opposed to its original 130g.
The car has more steering now than the way it was 5 years ago with Sub C's, but still VERY stable too, the rear end doesnt wash out.
Front TRF417 gear diff filled with #200,000 X ray Oil and Rear gear diff with #900 Tamiya oil.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I have been reading up on a few threads, everytime someone posts info on a new Touring car, everyone says "it's a copy of this, it's un-original", etc.

So lets throw out ideas on here, what would be the ideal Touring car?

Here are my ideas
- Stubby battery, down the middle of the chassis.
- the motor would be near the center, behind the battery
- Servo that is short, and standing up, near the front to help with the balance of the car.
- Awesomatrix shock/spring setup
- it would be a 3 belt system, similar like the Team Magic car in 2009, but they didn't have stubby batteries back then!
Your ideal car is going to depend on the rules you are running to. ROAR has rules that whilst allowing you to run a shorty pack mean you have to be able to fit a regular sized pack in the car without modification.
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Active View Post
Your ideal car is going to depend on the rules you are running to. ROAR has rules that whilst allowing you to run a shorty pack mean you have to be able to fit a regular sized pack in the car without modification.
Thus, the evolution of TC design stops.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote