R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta04evah View Post
Quite a few things as a few items were given to me from a good friend who also has a Zero, so mine is more like a Zero rather than a Zero S.

Key upgrades would be:

Vertical motor mount, this makes getting to the motor screws easier, but you have the flip the front & rear belts over to the other side, which means you may have to mod the kit battery mount.

Shocks, Either the aluminum Sakura ones or aftermarket. If Sakura shocks, replace the top seal with Tamiya seals to stop the oil leaking from the top.
If Other shocks for example Tamiya or Xray you'll need to change the sock towers as the Tamiya & Xray shocks are longer.

Alloy Steering Post, I have heard that the kit plastic one can be fragile & will break with a hard enough hit.

Servo Saver, Throw the kit one in the bin, it's rubbish. I use a high torque Tamiya servo saver and they work quite well.

Alloy Spur Gear Holder, This will help the spur gear run more true and will also allow the use of different size pulley's to change the internal ratio.

Spur Gear Shaft Set, to go with the above mentioned.

19tooth Pulley's, to allow the belts run a little looser reducing drag & friction.

I could probably go on more but if you're interested in the Zero S, then it may pay you to have a read through the Zero S thread and ask more questions if need be.

Cheers
Rob.
With the vertical motor mount you also need to alter the top deck slightly in order for the mount to clear. Once done, this makes life so much easier when changing gearing.

Once the front & rear belts are flipped to the opposite side the battery tray guides will foul the belt and you will need to alter the guides.This isn't hard and a Dremel comes in handy here.
SteveM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Thanks dudes, super helpful!

Now I am bogged down in motor/esc options and looking for suggestions. I am not necessarily looking for specific makes/models, but I am looking for specs (2s or 3s, turns/Kv, amps, sensored, etc?), makes/models welcome too, of course.

Some of my goals would be:
  • full programmability: something that will let me play with and learn the detailed stuff
  • versatile, middle-range in terms of top speed vs. torque for touring chassis. i dont want to get bored.
  • does not need to be a "work horse". I am trying this out to see if I enjoy it enough to invest further
  • something that will have good room for messing with gearing
  • imagine me spending lots of time on concrete/asphalt practicing/tweaking/drinking

Last edited by SamuraiJack; 12-06-2012 at 12:36 PM.
SamuraiJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiJack View Post
Thanks dudes, super helpful!

Now I am bogged down in motor/esc options and looking for suggestions. I am not necessarily looking for specific makes/models, but I am looking for specs (2s or 3s, turns/Kv, amps, sensored, etc?), makes/models welcome too, of course.

Some of my goals would be:
  • full programmability: something that will let me play with and learn the detailed stuff
  • versatile, middle-range in terms of top speed vs. torque for touring chassis. i dont want to get bored.
  • does not need to be a "work horse". I am trying this out to see if I enjoy it enough to invest further
  • something that will have good room for messing with gearing
  • imagine me spending lots of time on concrete/asphalt practicing/tweaking/drinking
I like my Speed Passion 17.5 Competition V3 motor and my Tekin RS speed control (not the Pro) has been bullet-proof. The motor used simple bullet style connectors hat lets me remove and clean the motor without having to unsolder the wires. Very handy. The ESC can be set to blinky to start and once you're confortable you have all kinds of programming and boost options.
SteveM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Tekin RS looks great, but pricey. Looking at Speed Passion Reventon S, which is in a little more introductory price range.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #20
gom
Tech Adept

If you are under a budget, you can't go wrong with the Hobbywing Xerun 120A v2.1 for ESC. Plus you don't need a computer around to do the programming. Just buy the programmable card and you can do it anywhere you want.

Power wise, it's just as powerful as the Tekin RS. I have both. Only downside is that the footprint is bigger than the Tekin.

For motor, you really need to know what class you are going to be running. May be go to your local track and ask around. However, if you are really not sure, go with a 17.5 turn. I would say almost all tracks in North America run at least one 17.5 class.

Any named brand motor will work fine. LRP, Tekin, Speed Passion, Trinity, Reedy, etc. I run a Reedy Sonic and Speed Passion MMM v3. Both run great. The Trinity D3.5 17.5 seems to be really popular these days though. May be you can give that a try.
gom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #21
Tech Regular

From what I have read so far, a 17.5 turn motor would be good to play with more if I was targetting a specific race class. And a more avg/versatile motor would be around 9-10 turns? That sound right?

Also, it sounds like trying to get a versatile, high current ESC is a good move to make as a first ESC? In other words, an ESC that would let me play around with diff spec motors.