Wiki Posts
Search

enhancing driving skills

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 05:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Default enhancing driving skills

Hello,

I'm learning to fine tune my driving skill a little more, and I was told a 1/12 pan car will teach me how to drive better.
I currently drive 1/10 touring car. My driving skills are good but not great.
Could a pan car help me?

Thanks

Rctori
Old 11-30-2012, 05:35 AM
Tech Adept

1/12 th is good for building skills, the fact of its mainly tire choice and shell are the biggest changes, u drive alot smoother its faster and the racing is longer these factors are what helps with the tc. 1/12 th is an amazing class.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I originally started in 12th pan cars. I got quite good at the time. Then the Associated TC3 came out and I switched over and was one of the better drivers at our track. Then I got out of racing from 2002-2012.. now I drive like crap and I'm trying to run a TC again, they are a whole different car now days though.

12th scale will definitely teach you to drive. Just hard to find folks to drive them with if your local track doesn't run them.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Rubber tire touring car and tons of laps. Pan will teach you to drive, too, but practicing all the time with a pan car is a ton of work because of tires. With rubbers on a sedan, you just drive and drive and drive. And that's what makes you a better driver, not truing another set of foams and adjusting ride height all the time.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Better drivers skill comes with experience. Practice, practice, and more Practice. Practice with people you admire, stay behind them and let loose!!
The 3 "P's" the way to go. If you want to go with the 12scale an have money to burn go ahead!!! Go ahead and invest!!!

Have fun with the hobby!! Good luck!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

It depends on where you are at as a driver. If you are struggling to get around the track without hitting things every other corner, I would stick to one car and work on a stable (pushy) setup and get clean laps in, then gradually start add steering to your car.

If you drive pretty well and are looking to just get faster, driving other car types can help. If it's 1/12 make it a fast 1/12, 17.5 speed 1/12th can give you bad habits, like never lifting and just cranking the wheel around corners. Even in slow tc classes you have to learn to be smooth and "feel" the weight transfer and time your steering accordingly. (yes a lot harder to do than it may sound).
Old 11-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

If its hand to eye cordinnatiin ur lookin to better. Get u a ps3 and play black oops 2. With a good internet connection. It will help ur reaction time and small motor skills
Old 11-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I'd check out VRC. I have had it for a few months ago and I went from a mid tier driver to one of the faster guys. The biggest thing was just driving more cleanly, getting used to my controller more, and learning to try different lines.

Best part is you can run lap after lap and not worry about damage, wearing out parts, overheating, etc. You can make adjustments quickly and test them to help learn where you need to take your car.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Another vote for VRC. Especially for beginner and intermediate drivers.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rctori
Hello,

I'm learning to fine tune my driving skill a little more, and I was told a 1/12 pan car will teach me how to drive better.
I currently drive 1/10 touring car. My driving skills are good but not great.
Could a pan car help me?

Thanks

Rctori
1/12 and TC are not that much alike in my opinion. Sure they are both on-road but they are a completely different beasts. Driving a 4wd off-road buggy is more like a driving a TC than a 1/12 car is.

If you want to improve your TC driving skills, practice with your TC more.

That said, driving anything will help improve your skills and reflexes. For example of you only race on-road in the winter, driving an off-road car in the summer will help you continue to improve your skills.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I vote vrc for sure. That really is the greatest place to learn and practice. Though, he multiplayer could be better. Never a lot of people
On there running inroad anymore.

You can do lap after lap of practice but without other cars you dont get the same race experience wih ither drivers.

It has dramatically improved my overall driving though. For every 30 minutes of real race time, i do roughly 8-12 hours of vrc. Whether it be a 30 minute quick 100 practice laps or really trying different settings and working up an event ranking. All good practice.

For some, it comes easy. The rest of us need all the practice we can get!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I never understood why people say to drive a certain class to get better at driving something else. Each class has it's only nuance and learning them is how you get better for that class.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jha07
I never understood why people say to drive a certain class to get better at driving something else. Each class has it's only nuance and learning them is how you get better for that class.
I believe it forces you to break bad habits and deal with problems you may not encounter in one class. (ex driving a 2wd buggy on a loose surface forces you to use brakes and have throttle control, where as a slow foam car needs neither of those).
Old 11-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Im a pan car guy (racer), but i practice with a touring car cause its much cheaper. You can get many runs on a set of rubber tires . Also it teaches throttle control much better than the slow foam car classes we run in the US can.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all the replies!
I guess I'll stick with the TC. I'm buying another one and was deciding wether to get a pan car or TC.
I guess the more track time the better. I would rather work on fine tuning my driving skills right now than fine tuning a car at this time.

Cheers

rctori

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.