R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
Tech Adept
 
Xenolance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, TX, USA.
Posts: 174
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Cold weather asphalt track prep

Anyone have any really successful track prep methods for cold weather? We race at night, outdoors, and it gets down to around 40 with a good amount of dew in the track. this being Houston the humidity is crazy. (not really cold for some of you northerners)

Our normal prep is orange soda and corn syrup in a 1:4 ratio I think it was. this worked great in the summer but as of late it's caused the tires to really gum up and the track is like marbles when we try to run on it. it seems the corn syrup isn't trying up since there is no heat to dry it out. The dew is just making it worse of course.

Is there any kind of traction compound that works in these conditions we could be spraying?
__________________
David Rose, Houston, TX.
Spec-R R1 / S1, Corally RDX.

"He's a Picasso with an Allen wrench." -Guffinator
Xenolance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Tech Regular
 
Barry_Hughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ipswich, England
Posts: 438
Default

Run with No Prep
we race in all sorts including having to clear the track of snow!
Run cooler temp tyres, if it is damp try intermediates.
__________________
Built it !
Raced it !
Wrecked it !
Barry_Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
Tech Master
 
vivo quevas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central, Ca.
Posts: 1,166
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenolance View Post
Anyone have any really successful track prep methods for cold weather? We race at night, outdoors, and it gets down to around 40 with a good amount of dew in the track. this being Houston the humidity is crazy. (not really cold for some of you northerners)

Our normal prep is orange soda and corn syrup in a 1:4 ratio I think it was. this worked great in the summer but as of late it's caused the tires to really gum up and the track is like marbles when we try to run on it. it seems the corn syrup isn't trying up since there is no heat to dry it out. The dew is just making it worse of course.

Is there any kind of traction compound that works in these conditions we could be spraying?
We have the same problem here in central Cal. and if you don't want to use VHT I don't know what to do. VHT works in at any temp. We have stoped using syrup and use pineapple soda diluted with water 70/30 sprayed very lightly. We just built a spray rig that sprays much finer then our hudson sprayer does. Our jury is still out if this will work and it is going to rain this weekend so we won't find out till next week.
__________________
Awesomatix A800 USGT, Awesomatix 800 VTA, , Tamiya Euro Truck, CRC WTF1

http://localrcracing.freeforums.org/
HobbyTown Fresno, Ca. McAllister Racing, Visa/MasterCard's
vivo quevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic
 
daleburr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Posts: 861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_Hughes View Post
Run with No Prep
we race in all sorts including having to clear the track of snow!
Run cooler temp tyres, if it is damp try intermediates.
+1, leave the track alone and set the cars up to race on it.
__________________
Team Xray
RC-Timing Software - http://www.rc-timing.com
Mercedes AMG F1 - http://www.mercedes-amg-f1.com/
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
+1, leave the track alone and set the cars up to race on it.
+1
The UK guys had this figured out long ago
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Tech Adept
 
Xenolance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, TX, USA.
Posts: 174
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Good advice folks! thank god snow isn't an issue or houston racing would simply fall apart over the winter lol!

Thanks for the advice and replies.
__________________
David Rose, Houston, TX.
Spec-R R1 / S1, Corally RDX.

"He's a Picasso with an Allen wrench." -Guffinator
Xenolance is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks John Stranahan Electric On-Road 1776 03-01-2016 01:18 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:37 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net