Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 09-19-2005, 09:10 AM   #1291
Tech Adept

Default Not for TCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70
Interesting.

I have the full Titanium screw kit and still my T05 is overweight ...

As well with GP3700 the car is much more heavy on the right side (battery side) ... so there is no point of use light electronic since light is at the compromise to be unbalance.

I need to get more close to 1500g if I want to be competitive with my TA05 ... since I race aganst TC4 / TRF415 & EVO IV ...

e_lm_70
The quickest solution I can come up with is to get rid of the battery holding setup. The problem is that you really need to cut the chassis to do this, and that will not be legal for TCS. If you look at the chassis though, it is obvious that the designer knew that people would be doing it. In front other battery compartment there is a lot of space to cut away without touching the vertical bracing. In the rear area, it is a bit tighter, but there is still room to do it. If you do this much the chassis is already illegal for TCS, so you might as well cut away some more. So cut off the battery bar towers completely, and you might be able to file down the area separating the batteries, to lower the pack.

Did you get the lightweight suspension setup and the carbon shock towers?
MobileIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:26 AM   #1292
Tech Adept

Default Belt slack and servo issues

I have finished the rolling chassis and I am painting up the body.

I noticed that my rear belt was slack compared to the front. I tightened it 1 notch and it was still looser than the front. When I tightened it another notch it was tigher than the front. Is this because my rear belt was a bit bigger than the front belt, or is the spur gear set slightly back from center on the chassis?

I also found that the recommended servo arm was a bit short. It did not give "full" steering. In fact, if you turned the steering to the right too far, it would over-shoot and start coming back. Looking at Kimborough, I found that the small servo saver is even shorter than the Tamiya. The big servo saver is too big to fit in the tub. That leaves the 200 series "medium" servo saver that has no holes in it, which was, unfortunately sold out everywhere near me. For now, I used the Tamiya servo saver, but with the long arm. My Futaba S9550 has enough torque that this is not an issue. But the arm is so long that I will not be able to use the upper carbon plate that is currently being sold, if I buy it. Hopefully, I will get the "medium" servo saver, and it will be short enough to fit under the carbon plate later.

On the other hand, looking at the chassis, I think I really would rather have a different carbon plate. I would like one running between the upper mounts on the bulkheads, and possibly attaching to the upper screw hole in the spur gear cover.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:39 AM   #1293
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run the belts as set to the manual now for two meetings and not had an issue, leave the back one loose, it won't skip.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 12:04 PM   #1294
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

Well, instead of the carbon top deck you can use the aluminum turnbuckles going from the motor mount to the bulkheads... they won't be taking any thrashing, so the lighter aluminum ones would hold up.. would two aluminum turnbuckles and 4 cups and alu. balls weigh more than the carbon top deck with screws?

It seems that there are holes for the front and rear to be attached like that, but the transponder mount would get in the way for the front one...
Old 09-19-2005, 12:39 PM   #1295
Tech Initiate

How much weight would I save when I would use?:

Lightweight suspension
Alu turnbuckles and connector balls
titanium screw set

Alwin.
F1mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:10 PM   #1296
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As much as I like the look of the Tech-Racing top deck, it don't brace what I think need bracing, the gearboxes to the chassis, I would hazard a guess that the 'redundant holes' in the gearbox tops will be used at a later date for a top deck, mated to a chassis.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:58 PM   #1297
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
Well, instead of the carbon top deck you can use the aluminum turnbuckles going from the motor mount to the bulkheads... they won't be taking any thrashing, so the lighter aluminum ones would hold up.. would two aluminum turnbuckles and 4 cups and alu. balls weigh more than the carbon top deck with screws?

It seems that there are holes for the front and rear to be attached like that, but the transponder mount would get in the way for the front one...
that's exactly what I did.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:54 PM   #1298
Tech Adept

Default Another Battery Holder Idea

I have been thinking about the battery mount and I think I might have a compromise idea that does not make the frame illegal for TCS:

Discard the original battery mount system.

Use M3 x 8 mm round head Titanium screws and thin, wide washers. I am guessing that an aluminum washer, 1/2mm thick, 3 mm ID and maybe 6 mm OD would be about right. Use 1 washer for each post.

To secure the battery, use a piece of strapping tape about 6" longer than the distance between the posts. Wrap the tape under the washer at one post, in a loop using about 3" of the extra tape, using the adhesive side to stick the tape to itself. Pull the tape towards the other post, and loop it under the other washer, and again, use the adhesive to stick the tape to itself.

I have not tried this, but I see no reason for it not to work. The result should be secure, and much lighter than the standard setup. If you enter a TCS race, you just remove this setup and put the original setup back in place.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:37 PM   #1299
Tech Initiate

Please HELP TA04/05 or TC4?????

Ok....
I need some help.
I don't know what to get?
My choices are the following.
Tamiya TA04
Tamiya TA05
Associated TC4

Here's the problem.
I'm going to run at SoCal Raceway.
The car's to have (at SoCal) seem to currenly the TC4, The EVO, and the new Xray.
I have a F201 and like the quality, I used to race te TL01 when it was new but that was a few years ago.
I'm looking to get back into sedan racing but dont want to break the bank as I have alerady spent about $800.00 between my F201 and my Xray M18 this year.
Basicly I want a car I can take to most any track and have fun and maby even win once and a while. I'm loyal to Tamiya but the local's are pushing for the TC4.

I know it may seem like a silly question.
I just don't want to drop the cash and get a car that wont run with the pack.
Crypt_Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:13 PM   #1300
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

Well, the TA05 would be your best bet for a Tamiya car, otherwise the next jump would indeed be the 415 or Evo IV, but that bears the question: Do you want to buy a racer with all the upgrades included (415) or a base machine that just may cost more money in the long run to make its equivalent? I have the 05 because I wanted to stick to GT2, and I know there will be a TRF carbon version that may very well rival the 415 one day, so I'm in for the long run, but it's going to cost me more.

As for the TC4, there are no complaints, really, as it's a rather proven car with a good life ahead, especially if it's supported locally.

The TA04 is, ahem, 'old', but you can get a loaded one for cheap, saving you lots, but it's all up to what you want to do later on.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:06 PM   #1301
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have been racing with a guy who drives a TC4, His car is faster in straightaways hands down but the TA05 pulls away when hitting the turns so its really up to you and the track set-up and one more thing with the TC4 ( his is graphite) the parts breaks easily, I have raced my TA05 for two weekends now and have not broken any parts yet (knock on wood), and I think the TA05 is much more funto drive.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:17 PM   #1302
Tech Addict

for the people who ran their TA05's on carpet. can you give some feedback to the car?

Thanks in advance!
racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:38 PM   #1303
Tech Initiate

Talking TA05 vs TC4

Thank's for the help guy's.

Your input has helped a lot.

I'm going to buy the TA05 since SoCal has a short streigt and A LOT of turn's.
Also as I posted earlier I'm loyal to Tamiya so the TA05 has won the decision.

Now for stage two.

What version of the TA05 should I get.....lol
I did run the NSX body on my TL01
Crypt_Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:54 PM   #1304
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Get whatever body you prefer as a shelf weapon, and go get yourself a racing body. Kit bodies are limited in their handling
Old 09-19-2005, 11:03 PM   #1305
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to Nemo racing

Crypt_Keeper

I run a TA-05 in socal, and the car seem to hold up pretty good.
i will be there tuesday and thursday, look me up,
you won't miss my car