R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 09-12-2005, 08:56 AM   #1231
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So basically the car is a bit overweight? Most competetion cars are underweight...and you need to add to them. I'm wondering if the composite chassis mentioned earlier in the thread will cure this...but then may as well buy a 415 (imo)
Herc Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:11 AM   #1232
Tech Adept

Hi,
Here is the list of my next bling-bling for my TA05:

#51064 / TRF415 front bridge suspension mount (D) / 945
#51065 / TRF415 suspension mount (A) / 840
#51066 / TRF415 suspension mount (B) / 840
#51067 / TRF415 suspension mount (C) / 840
#51068 / TRF415 suspension mount (D) / 840
#53685 / TRF415 front bridge suspension mount (A) / 945

Can somebody confirm that all of them will fit the TA05.

The stock rear suspension mount ... which equivalent to is?
The stock front suspension mount ... which equivalent to is?

Thanks

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 04:32 PM   #1233
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

Well, from what I've been reading in the last few pages, get the 1Xx blocks.. apparently the D and maybe even C blocks can be too wide for the 'inner' positions that need to be the bridge. The stock suspension blocks are likely A's, so even B's should be fine, but most setups I've seen people most successful with are the 1XC in front, and and 1XC/B/A blocks in the back, depending on how much toe in you want. They'll give you a narrower stance, improving turn speed among other things.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:57 PM   #1234
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by buboy28
those 415 alloy suspension blocks are those from the regular 415 or the MS version and what kind of blocks to be used from the front and rear of the car thanks and sorry to ask too many questions
Both of them will fit, just be aware that you need 2 bridged blocks for where the belts will pass thru.
Ghostfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:18 PM   #1235
Tech Adept

Default Blue Shock Setups

2005/09/12

The situation:

I am building my TA05 as a mildly upgraded version. I will not bother with all the details. I have not bought all the Titanium possible. I am mainly just using "spares" from other builds. None of the turnbuckles are Titanium, but most of the screws are. All the ball heads are replaced w/aluminum. I am using the Hard TA04 suspension arms, but only the rear uprights are "Hard" parts. The front uprights and hub carriers are original (soft, 4 degree caster). I kept the rear axles and dogbones stock, but the fronts are titanium axle stub universals with 46mm, steel bones. I do have the stabilizer kit, but so far I only have the standard springs.

The problem:

I am about to build the new TRF 49355 blue shocks. My target is for "old asphalt" surface (not cracked, but worn to the point where stones are on the surface). It seems to me that this means I should generally target lighter shocks and heavier anti-sway options. The standard kit includes composite body shocks and yellow (400 wt?) oil with 1 hole pistons. After reading over everything I can find, I have come to the conclusion that I will probably use:

500 wt oil and 2 hole pistons and 1 "O" ring below the piston

I like the "O" ring because it should reduce wear. I will probably check back just before I start to build them.

Any comments about these shock choice?
MobileIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 02:19 AM   #1236
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
Well, from what I've been reading in the last few pages, get the 1Xx blocks.. apparently the D and maybe even C blocks can be too wide for the 'inner' positions that need to be the bridge. The stock suspension blocks are likely A's, so even B's should be fine, but most setups I've seen people most successful with are the 1XC in front, and and 1XC/B/A blocks in the back, depending on how much toe in you want. They'll give you a narrower stance, improving turn speed among other things.
I have problem on find the right reference for these blocks ... some are reported for the 415, some for the EVO, some for tha TA04 ... so I'm lost !

Can you put some tamiya code numbers ... with the list of the working one ?

Mainly I would like to have these alu blocks since are more stable and strong then the plastic stock one. For the front I guess a good replacement of the stock will be ok ... (why should I change front TOE with a block ... when I have the turnbuckle ?) ... and for the rear it will be nice to have one little bit with more toe, and one with little bit less toe ... plus the replacement of the stock.

Thanks

e_lm_70
Old 09-13-2005, 02:28 AM   #1237
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileIT
I am about to build the new TRF 49355 blue shocks. My target is for "old asphalt" surface (not cracked, but worn to the point where stones are on the surface). It seems to me that this means I should generally target lighter shocks and heavier anti-sway options. The standard kit includes composite body shocks and yellow (400 wt?) oil with 1 hole pistons. After reading over everything I can find, I have come to the conclusion that I will probably use:
Just build up my TRF 49355 yesterday ...

It come with white pistons (high quality) ... and black pistons (stock quality).
No oil is in the TRF 49355 kit !

The instruction refers to the white pistons.

These pistons come only with 2 and 3 holes ... the holes are smaller then the stock pistons ones.

The instruction don't have reference to the TA05 ... and stranegly for the 415 suggest a different set then for the EVO iV ... one is with 2 holes, and the other is with 3 holes.

I ended up to build up the front shocks with 2 holes, and rear one with 3 holes ... stock yellow oil (400wt) all around.

Any other advise ?

e_lm_70

P.S: I have checked my shocks after one single racind day (only 4 run due to the rain) ... and they have leack a hell of oil ...

P.S: Me too I'm running on a outdoor track ... but it is a quite good quality one!
Old 09-13-2005, 02:33 AM   #1238
Tech Adept

HIGH PRECISION DIFF JOINT 53849

I did lost already one of the blue alu rings.

Anybody know if I can get a replacement only for these rings ????

Thanks

e_lm_70
Old 09-13-2005, 03:14 AM   #1239
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to buboy28 Send a message via Yahoo to buboy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfit
Both of them will fit, just be aware that you need 2 bridged blocks for where the belts will pass thru.
ok thanks will do that
buboy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 04:22 AM   #1240
TDO
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70
Hi,
Here is the list of my next bling-bling for my TA05:

#51064 / TRF415 front bridge suspension mount (D) / 945
#51065 / TRF415 suspension mount (A) / 840
#51066 / TRF415 suspension mount (B) / 840
#51067 / TRF415 suspension mount (C) / 840
#51068 / TRF415 suspension mount (D) / 840
#53685 / TRF415 front bridge suspension mount (A) / 945

Can somebody confirm that all of them will fit the TA05.

The stock rear suspension mount ... which equivalent to is?
The stock front suspension mount ... which equivalent to is?

Thanks

e_lm_70
Yep you can use these.

Front : Front suspension bridge A + suspension mount A
Rear : Front suspension bridge A + suspension mount A, B or C
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:00 AM   #1241
Tech Apprentice

Do you guys think that a TA05 could be as fast as (or even faster then) a TC4, or like a Yokomo SD? Like if they're driven by the same driver. And I'm talking about stock class and stock out of the box.
Seatbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:20 AM   #1242
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatbelt
Do you guys think that a TA05 could be as fast as (or even faster then) a TC4, or like a Yokomo SD? Like if they're driven by the same driver. And I'm talking about stock class and stock out of the box.
No way !

TA05 is too heavy !

e_lm_70
Old 09-13-2005, 06:09 AM   #1243
Tech Initiate

I agree. I drive a TA05 with tuned parts and a guy at the track where I usually practice drives a Yokomo SD. If I would race him with the stock version I would loose for sure. His car is more rigid and better better prepaired to race straight ot of the box.

With tune-ups you will have a better chance.

Alwin.
F1mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 09:08 AM   #1244
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1mechanic
I agree. I drive a TA05 with tuned parts and a guy at the track where I usually practice drives a Yokomo SD. If I would race him with the stock version I would loose for sure. His car is more rigid and better better prepaired to race straight ot of the box.

With tune-ups you will have a better chance.

Alwin.
I dunno. It sort of depends. First, there are a couple of TC4 and a few Yokomo SD kits, so you need to say which ones. For the Yokomo cars, the answer is simple. Yokomo does not make a kit as cheap as the TA05 at all. Their cheapest car is more expensive and yes, it is a better out - of - the - box car. It it just a matter of which kit suits your particular track, etc. The TC4 comes in at least 3 different packages that I know of. The bottom line RTR is really no better than the TA05, so you would have a good chance against it. In a fair race, the better (builder + setup + driver) would win.

The other thing is "shaft v. belt". I have read a couple of opinions about that. I think Masami Hirosaki got it right. Despite the big move to belts, and the fact that he had both to chose from, early this year in Japan he ran, and won with a shaft car. He said that it was a matter of the track. After a lot of thought, I think "flowing" tracks favour shafts while "technical" tracks which have a lot of accelerating out of tight corners, favour a belt. In other words, if you track is that type that is mainly steering and no heavy use for brakes, the shaft will be favoured. I think overall, for carpet racing, indoors, which tend to be smaller tracks, the belts should be better. Outdoors, you get more variety.

I saw the videos of the Reedy race and the track was set up for smooth flowing runs. The Associated TC-4 (carbon plate version) shaft car was competitive enough to win, though if you look at the race reports, Rheinard was actually the fastest but lost by bad luck. I think if the put in another chicane the TC-4 might not have even done that well.

It seems to me that other than Masami, the Pros mainly stick to 1 car and think they can tune it for all tracks and races. I think in the future, you might see them acting more like golfers. You do not hit your tee shot with a putter. You use a driver (or a low iron on par 3 :-).
MobileIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:56 PM   #1245
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Very interesting view.

I have to think about this some more. Mmmm......

This is going to cost me more (more cars).

Alwin.
F1mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote