R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 01-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #11221
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4

Ok, I'm sure this is answered somewhere here but, I can't seem to find it. Burned out the rear diff in my TA05 recently and want to replace the entire thing. I see that I can't use the new gear diffs since they are 37 tooth pulleys. Is there a way to convert the chassis to use them? If not, where can i even get the older 36 tooth diffs? Do I need to buy them in separate parts or is there a tamiya part number for the diffs complete?
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #11222
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Is your front diff ball diff ? If so, put it in the back and buy a spool for the front. The tamiya spool is 36t.
Or search eBay for tamiya 51212.
edhchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #11223
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhchoe View Post
Is your front diff ball diff ? If so, put it in the back and buy a spool for the front. The tamiya spool is 36t.
Or search eBay for tamiya 51212.
That's an idea. Though I looked at that part number and its just for the pulley. What about the out drives, diff balls and all the rest? Can't really replace it all without the rest.
KC/RC Drift Movement
Old 01-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #11224
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Then how about a gear diff? I run spool front, ball in rear. Vta type class.
edhchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #11225
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhchoe View Post
Then how about a gear diff? I run spool front, ball in rear. Vta type class.
VTA is exactly what I'm getting it ready for. I thought about the gear diff in the rear but the gear diff is 37 tooth so the belt won't fit. I love gear diffs and have used them in my Mini for years. May try a spool up front. May change my driving style which usually involves running into all the boards currently.
KC/RC Drift Movement
Old 01-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #11226
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muahdib4 View Post
Ok, I'm sure this is answered somewhere here but, I can't seem to find it. Burned out the rear diff in my TA05 recently and want to replace the entire thing. I see that I can't use the new gear diffs since they are 37 tooth pulleys. Is there a way to convert the chassis to use them? If not, where can i even get the older 36 tooth diffs? Do I need to buy them in separate parts or is there a tamiya part number for the diffs complete?
I've bought stuff from these guys before and they have been very reliable for me.
The link is for a complete ball diff for $16US, and it comes with a 36 tooth pulley.
http://broadtechonlineshop.com/eagle...l.aspx?id=3807

Cheers
Rob.

Last edited by ta04evah; 01-16-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: fixed link
ta04evah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #11227
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta04evah View Post
I've bought stuff from these guys before and they have been very reliable for me.
The link is for a complete ball diff for $16US, and it comes with a 36 tooth pulley.
http://broadtechonlineshop.com/eagle...l.aspx?id=3807

Cheers
Rob.
Now that could be interesting. May give those a try too. Thanks for all the help. Also glad to see the chassis isn't dead. Dreading the day I have to buy something new.
KC/RC Drift Movement
Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #11228
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muahdib4 View Post
Now that could be interesting. May give those a try too. Thanks for all the help. Also glad to see the chassis isn't dead. Dreading the day I have to buy something new.
I've been using them for well over a year now, I use one for 6 months then chuck it out and drop a new one in. It's alot cheaper than trying to buy all the parts separate to re build them.

In the car they are in I race on a regular weekly basis, sometimes twice a week and they have never let me down. I started out using a 21.5 in blinky mode but now the car has up to a 13.5 blinky in it.
I think they also sell a spool diff, but I'm not exactly sure if it'll fit into a version 1 ta05. http://broadtechonlineshop.com/eagle...l.aspx?id=3480

Nowdays I use my ta05 mostly as a VTA car for which is perfect for them as they are docile & easy to drive, even with the VTA tires & body shells on the car.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #11229
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Well whoop de doo. The Novak XRS runs a Lipo!

Got my TAO5 dialed in just need some competition.
No-one I mean no-one runs touring cars here, it's a shame.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #11230
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Looking for help

I picked up a "used" TA05 IFS V2, it has a tekin RS ESC, LRP Vector X12 running 2s

when i first ran it temp's was hitting a little over 200 degrees after a few minutes of running, took it all a part cleaned, oiled bearings & set the pinion/spur mesh correctly temp are now down to 180'ish @ the 4 to 5 minute mark so i'm thinking its the gearing now?

its has the following
37t front diff gear on one way
36t rear diff gear
80t spur gear
56t pinion
18t pulley

I also noticed the front belt is "lightly" rubbing on the aluminum hinge pin holder not enough to cause any drag really but i'm guessing it has to do with the bigger front gear?

what gearing should this thing have for a 21.5t motor? what is the benefit of running a larger front gear in the diff?

thanks

TD DESC410 V2 Tekin RX8 SC4X 4.5.....

Bank statement NEGATIVE BALANCE!!! Just need to learn how to use it all
RcNuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #11231
Tech Adept

^^^ any one?

Old 03-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #11232
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcNuttz View Post
Looking for help

I picked up a "used" TA05 IFS V2, it has a tekin RS ESC, LRP Vector X12 running 2s

when i first ran it temp's was hitting a little over 200 degrees after a few minutes of running, took it all a part cleaned, oiled bearings & set the pinion/spur mesh correctly temp are now down to 180'ish @ the 4 to 5 minute mark so i'm thinking its the gearing now?

its has the following
36t rear diff gear
80t spur gear
56t pinion
18t pulley

I also noticed the front belt is "lightly" rubbing on the aluminum hinge pin holder not enough to cause any drag really but i'm guessing it has to do with the bigger front gear?

what gearing should this thing have for a 21.5t motor? what is the benefit of running a larger front gear in the diff?

thanks
well, i cant tell you much about gearing but i can tell you that the LRP x12 motors tend to run hot. i'm not surprised at the temps. the good news is, they are the most durable motors ive ever used. they can take the heat although performs does drop. my advise is to keep trying different pinions until you find the sweet spot.
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #11233
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOTMAN View Post
well, i cant tell you much about gearing but i can tell you that the LRP x12 motors tend to run hot. i'm not surprised at the temps. the good news is, they are the most durable motors ive ever used. they can take the heat although performs does drop. my advise is to keep trying different pinions until you find the sweet spot.
what temp's should it be kept under?

Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #11234
PDR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcNuttz View Post
Looking for help

its has the following
36t rear diff gear
80t spur gear
56t pinion
18t pulley

thanks
Are you running blinky or boosted?
Which timing insert do you have in the X12?

If I'm not mistaken, you're at an FDR of 2.94 which is tall gearing for a TC. You can get away with this with a really torquey motor on a moderately open track, but I suspect that for blinky with the X12, you'll want to go down a few teeth on the pinion, starting around 3.2 or so.

If you're running boost on the Tekin, then you'll need to very careful about the boost/turbo values. The Tekin/X12 combo can be very, very quick with boost, but take time to get the settings right.

Phil.
Making an A Main at a Scotty Ernst event. Awesome. Scotty calling you first in A1. Priceless
PDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #11235
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR View Post
Are you running blinky or boosted?
Which timing insert do you have in the X12?

If I'm not mistaken, you're at an FDR of 2.94 which is tall gearing for a TC. You can get away with this with a really torquey motor on a moderately open track, but I suspect that for blinky with the X12, you'll want to go down a few teeth on the pinion, starting around 3.2 or so.

If you're running boost on the Tekin, then you'll need to very careful about the boost/turbo values. The Tekin/X12 combo can be very, very quick with boost, but take time to get the settings right.

Phil.
no boost or timing in the esc or motor