Like Tree2Likes

Old 05-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #10456
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to loriding69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
Do you already have the plain TA-05?

I have gotten some really good deals on hopped up TA05r on this site.

Recently a TA05R with carbon tub, shock towers, alum motor mount and m ore sold for $150.

If you already have the car, run as is and look for a used one, that would be a lot cheaper then all the hop ups.

For slightly more you can get a used TRF 415 MSXX MRE.

Or a new one from Tamiya for $310 http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=42104
Yeah, I bought it off of here from a guy who said he had put it together but didn't run it. Got the car and i still had to put it together. But I have been only running onroad for a year now and have gotten way faster so now need something that can hang with the fast guys. That's why i have been asking all the questions.

If your not here to have fun, then stay at home!!!

Breast Cancer Awareness is my race for the cure!
loriding69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:54 PM   #10457
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GSCL-1

does anyone seem to have a link for the stock setup for the ta05? (original ta05) Thanks.
GSCL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:13 PM   #10458
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriding69 View Post
Yeah, I bought it off of here from a guy who said he had put it together but didn't run it. Got the car and i still had to put it together. But I have been only running onroad for a year now and have gotten way faster so now need something that can hang with the fast guys. That's why i have been asking all the questions.
Are the fast guys lapping you because you can't get any more out of the car? How are your laptimes during a race, are they within a second of each other over the course of the whole race? A "better car" can't correct bad driving if that is the problem.

I have just started useing my TA05 for local parking lot racing and I can see the inherent good and bad from it, and it has been documented on this board several times over the many pages. The inherent flex makes it easy to drive, yet can cover setup problems that would prevent other cars from functioning properly. Have you asked the fast guys to run your car and see wht they think or what kind of lap times they turn vs you on the same course?

I was amazed to watch two very competent racers at our track this weekend put out very good driving and the difference between the cars was settings (shock oil, tires, mounting location) and it was the difference between a car that was easy to drive fast and a car that was fast but required more muscle to get around.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:23 AM   #10459
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSCL-1 View Post
does anyone seem to have a link for the stock setup for the ta05? (original ta05) Thanks.
It's in that little setup book you get with the kit. I lost mine, and if anyone could scan it I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 05-25-2009, 12:36 PM   #10460
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicman View Post
Are the fast guys lapping you because you can't get any more out of the car? How are your laptimes during a race, are they within a second of each other over the course of the whole race? A "better car" can't correct bad driving if that is the problem.

I have just started useing my TA05 for local parking lot racing and I can see the inherent good and bad from it, and it has been documented on this board several times over the many pages. The inherent flex makes it easy to drive, yet can cover setup problems that would prevent other cars from functioning properly. Have you asked the fast guys to run your car and see wht they think or what kind of lap times they turn vs you on the same course?

I was amazed to watch two very competent racers at our track this weekend put out very good driving and the difference between the cars was settings (shock oil, tires, mounting location) and it was the difference between a car that was easy to drive fast and a car that was fast but required more muscle to get around.
My lap times are about a second or under off the fast guys. I have driven there cars and have hit there lap times and they have driven my car and was maybe a .10-.30 seconds faster than i was turning but not hitting there lap times. I have had one of the (not sure if he is natl champ or podium) look at my car and said he was very suprised to see me get lap times with that car. All the fast guys are saying the same thing. My driving has improved drasticaly and my lap times have shown that. Last year I would probaly be 4-6 laps behind. This year at last weeks race i'm only 1 lap down. I'm not saying that i'm one of the fast guys, but i am able to hold my own (I still have to work on staying off the pipes and figuring out brake zones). That's why i was asking if going to the carbon stuff and hop-ups will help me out? Would going to 64P help? Just trying to make what i have at the present time go a lil faster. Even a half second would dramaticaly make a big difference.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #10461
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe of loath View Post
It's in that little setup book you get with the kit. I lost mine, and if anyone could scan it I would greatly appreciate it!
If you don't get a scanned copy then you can go to the Tamiya Website, matter of fact here is the link bro!

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58350

Then click on the manual link.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #10462
Tech Elite

Quote:
If you don't get a scanned copy then you can go to the Tamiya Website, matter of fact here is the link bro!

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58350

Then click on the manual link.
Oh, I found my manual, flicked through and completely missed that section

Don't worry then, I have it after all
Old 05-25-2009, 01:58 PM   #10463
Tech Regular

Quote:
My lap times are about a second or under off the fast guys. I have driven there cars and have hit there lap times and they have driven my car and was maybe a .10-.30 seconds faster than i was turning but not hitting there lap times. I have had one of the (not sure if he is natl champ or podium) look at my car and said he was very suprised to see me get lap times with that car. All the fast guys are saying the same thing. My driving has improved drasticaly and my lap times have shown that. Last year I would probaly be 4-6 laps behind. This year at last weeks race i'm only 1 lap down. I'm not saying that i'm one of the fast guys, but i am able to hold my own (I still have to work on staying off the pipes and figuring out brake zones). That's why i was asking if going to the carbon stuff and hop-ups will help me out? Would going to 64P help? Just trying to make what i have at the present time go a lil faster. Even a half second would dramaticaly make a big difference.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Did the guy say why he was surprised you were hitting those lap times? He may have thought your setup was off to get the lap times you are expecting. I suspect that you are in the situation where because the car is at the mid range of tamiya's line of cars TT01 - TA05 - 416 you will find that there is not a big base of setups that are readily available. I would assume that your overall setup is in general the same (tires, body, motor, esc, etc) and you can eliminate those as variables in this equation from your competitors. I have read through this forum many times and not much has been discussed on how to fine tune this car, much of what is posted is that it is good out of the box. While this may be true I suspect that more performance can be extracted out of the car. I am just starting to use this car and will more than likley see the same things you have already seen out of this car.

64 pitch isnt going to give you any more speed by itself. It may help you get to your optimium ratio depending on what you are running. If you are looking for .5 - 1 second a lap have you looked at how much time your losing on the laps that you crash or hit the boards? I suspect that it will be more than .5 - 1 second per lap. Add that up over the course of a race and you may find your missing lap, just in bobbles. No one is going to consistenly put out perfect races and I am by no means suggesting that but smooth driving can work wonders for your overall laptimes. It will also help you to see what may be wrong with the setup of your car for your driving style. Sometimes one setup does not work for everyone because of how different the driving styles are.

To that end here are some questions that I have asked myself. Why am I all over the place? Is it a car setup issue, or a driver concentration issue? For me it has been a driver concentration issue, and until I can get around the track with out a single crash that I cause then any chassis upgrade will not make up for that. However there will come to a point that I am at the edge of what the current setup (box stock) can provide. At that point is where I will have to start making adjustments to the car to get additional performace out of the car (spool, one-way, springs, shock oil etc). Is this where you feel you are at with the car? If so have you looked at some of the setups from the 416 to see how they compare to yours. I dont think that you can or even want to duplicate the setup exactly but you may be able to get some principals out of what they are doing and apply it to your car.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:53 PM   #10464
Tech Adept

Quote:
Oh, I found my manual, flicked through and completely missed that section

Don't worry then, I have it after all
hi do you happen to have the setup sheet with the stock set up on the sheet? Thanks.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:44 PM   #10465
Tech Adept

what would be a good set up starting point for the ta05i am going to be racing on asphalt using rubber tires, and a 13.5 stock motor here is what the track looks like:

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:28 PM   #10466
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicman View Post
Did the guy say why he was surprised you were hitting those lap times? He may have thought your setup was off to get the lap times you are expecting. I suspect that you are in the situation where because the car is at the mid range of tamiya's line of cars TT01 - TA05 - 416 you will find that there is not a big base of setups that are readily available. I would assume that your overall setup is in general the same (tires, body, motor, esc, etc) and you can eliminate those as variables in this equation from your competitors. I have read through this forum many times and not much has been discussed on how to fine tune this car, much of what is posted is that it is good out of the box. While this may be true I suspect that more performance can be extracted out of the car. I am just starting to use this car and will more than likley see the same things you have already seen out of this car.

64 pitch isnt going to give you any more speed by itself. It may help you get to your optimium ratio depending on what you are running. If you are looking for .5 - 1 second a lap have you looked at how much time your losing on the laps that you crash or hit the boards? I suspect that it will be more than .5 - 1 second per lap. Add that up over the course of a race and you may find your missing lap, just in bobbles. No one is going to consistenly put out perfect races and I am by no means suggesting that but smooth driving can work wonders for your overall laptimes. It will also help you to see what may be wrong with the setup of your car for your driving style. Sometimes one setup does not work for everyone because of how different the driving styles are.

To that end here are some questions that I have asked myself. Why am I all over the place? Is it a car setup issue, or a driver concentration issue? For me it has been a driver concentration issue, and until I can get around the track with out a single crash that I cause then any chassis upgrade will not make up for that. However there will come to a point that I am at the edge of what the current setup (box stock) can provide. At that point is where I will have to start making adjustments to the car to get additional performace out of the car (spool, one-way, springs, shock oil etc). Is this where you feel you are at with the car? If so have you looked at some of the setups from the 416 to see how they compare to yours. I dont think that you can or even want to duplicate the setup exactly but you may be able to get some principals out of what they are doing and apply it to your car.
To start this off, I looked at the lap times of when i didn't do any pipe or stupid stuff, they were still off by .5, .8 or so(with no bobbles). My lap times with me piping and stuff were off by only a second, if that. The setup isn't box stock, there is different shock oil, ride height, droop, etc.... In other words the setup is way off of box stock for my driving. Don't get me wrong, the car drives nicely but i just don't think i'm getting all that I need out of it.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:38 AM   #10467
Tech Regular

what shock oil and springs are you using on asphalt? (on 05R car) i have copied a setup found on teamtrf.com with 30oil in the back and 40 in the front but the car feels very soft!

havent had the time to test the car yet but will do in about a week, just had it setup but it doesnt feel right, way to soft and i`m going to drive it with a spool in front, no one ways. (large track)
Hatebreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:32 AM   #10468
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSCL-1 View Post
hi do you happen to have the setup sheet with the stock set up on the sheet? Thanks.
There's no setup sheet as such, it just tells you what to do throughout the build. The main bits are:

Droop screws: 2mm front and rear (that's from the bottom of the arm to the end of the screw)
Rear camber links: 12.5mm between the ends of the ball cups
The rear camber link ball studs are in the rear middle set of holes (so bottom right of the 6 holes looking from above)

Front camber links: 16mm
In the same placed holes as the rear ones, but with a white triangular spacer under.

Rear toe: +2 degrees

Steering arms: 9.5mm

Shocks:
Oil - orange (#300)
Pistons - 1 hole
front shocks are in the inner holes.
Rear shocks are in the 2nd inner holes.

That seems to be everything. I'm afraid it's not done in degrees where it should be, but it's easy enough to work out. Is there anything I've missed?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #10469
Tech Adept

Quote:
There's no setup sheet as such, it just tells you what to do throughout the build. The main bits are:

Droop screws: 2mm front and rear (that's from the bottom of the arm to the end of the screw)
Rear camber links: 12.5mm between the ends of the ball cups
The rear camber link ball studs are in the rear middle set of holes (so bottom right of the 6 holes looking from above)

Front camber links: 16mm
In the same placed holes as the rear ones, but with a white triangular spacer under.

Rear toe: +2 degrees

Steering arms: 9.5mm

Shocks:
Oil - orange (#300)
Pistons - 1 hole
front shocks are in the inner holes.
Rear shocks are in the 2nd inner holes.

That seems to be everything. I'm afraid it's not done in degrees where it should be, but it's easy enough to work out. Is there anything I've missed?
thanks allot i really appreciate it!!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #10470
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed View Post
what shock oil and springs are you using on asphalt? (on 05R car) i have copied a setup found on teamtrf.com with 30oil in the back and 40 in the front but the car feels very soft!

havent had the time to test the car yet but will do in about a week, just had it setup but it doesnt feel right, way to soft and i`m going to drive it with a spool in front, no one ways. (large track)
I'm running 45wt oil and yellow springs all around.