Like Tree2Likes

Old 05-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #10441
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriding69 View Post
Ok, I have a few question:

1. The carbon chassis, is it better than the tub chassis that comes with the kit and if so why?

2. The front and rear carbon shock towers on the tube chassis, will it make a difference having them or no?

3. Should i spend the money getting all the upgrades or should i just go and get a 416?

Thanks for the help
1. The TA05 LW Carbon (material) Lower Deck (still a tub) #53893 is a lot better then the plastic tub especially using it outdoor. The stock plastic one does change their shape due to heat and impact. The 53893 does hold up better. However, if you are talking about the upper and lower carbon fiber flat chassis like that TA05 MS or the one from 3Racing, then you are simply upgrading the wrong stuff with a wrong car...like buying aluminum bulkhead, carbon chassis on a TA05, might as well go buy a 416 and done. Just get the 53893 most serious TA05 racer use that instead.

2. Yes, you should buy them...not really stronger, but they have more shock mounting position then the stock one so you can fine tune your 05 better. And they looks better (if that is important for you). I like the rear tower cause the body mount of the carbon tower is wider and I like the wide mounting position then the stock narrow one. To answer your question, it DOES make a different because your shocks position are different after having those tower.

3. Not a good question...my TA05R or TA05 IFS-R is almost 3 years old now, I can use it for almost all kinda racing from 21.5 to mod, indoor carpet to outdoor RCGT...almost like a most versitile cars I have ever own. However, the budget for the car is still under $300 with options. 416 is more like a dedicated racer car that most ppl prefer to race it indoor carpet or some ppl will use it only outdoor...need to spend more money on options and extra parts (compare to TA05...you can leave the car bone stock for some club racing and bashing). They are 2 different cars and really depends on your budget and HOW you want to use it...

I have a friend just finished the TCS that has both (IFS-R and 416) his 416 is ballastic (cause it is 13.5) compare to his IFS-R with 17.5...however, he had all kinda problem with the 416 the entire week that almost cause him the main...but his all trusty IFS-R (bought it same time with me 3 years ago...originally a 05R) was dialed all weekend long with minimum setup. Not saying 05R/IFS-R can race with Atsushi Hara...but this tub car can surprise a lot of ppl....including myself, after 3 years of owning it. Just keep working on the 05 if you ask me.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #10442
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to loriding69
Thumbs up

Thanks alot, I got what i asked for and really appreciate it.

If your not here to have fun, then stay at home!!!

Breast Cancer Awareness is my race for the cure!
loriding69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #10443
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you really like working on setup, then go for the 415/416. The carbon pan chassis makes adjustments and measurements way more acurate. TA05 will always have slight tweak to it, and I find it impossible to set ride height, droop, etc evenly at all four corners. If that stuff isn't that important to you, then hopping up your TA05 may be better...
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:46 PM   #10444
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94eg! View Post
If you really like working on setup, then go for the 415/416. The carbon pan chassis makes adjustments and measurements way more acurate. TA05 will always have slight tweak to it, and I find it impossible to set ride height, droop, etc evenly at all four corners. If that stuff isn't that important to you, then hopping up your TA05 may be better...
Thanks. My setup right now is pretty sweet. Could probably use a lil more precise fine tuning but right now i'm hanging with the fast guys, only getting lapped once instead of 4-5 times in a race. My droop and ride height is even all the way around. But thanks again for the advise.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:21 AM   #10445
Tech Elite

Here is some helpful information i just found out:

The Slash bearings are the same. So you can use those bearings if your LHS don't have the regular ones. Traxxas Part#5116

Just FYI

Old 05-23-2009, 04:57 PM   #10446
Tech Regular

any one tried the speed passion 2.5R motor in the TA05... motor runs great extremely fast but lower run time on 2s lipo
dsyed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:03 AM   #10447
Tech Fanatic

A 2.5T couldn't possibly be meant for 7.4v...
Old 05-24-2009, 06:35 AM   #10448
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are any of the yeah racing alloy hop ups worth it? Or are they just bling? I was thinking of getting the CF shock towers at some point too, my plastic ones flex like a bodybuilder in a TT01.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:51 AM   #10449
Tech Elite

The TA05 plastic tub is more flexible which is a good thing in low traction situations. If you're planning to run foam tires then the carbon tub is better.

About tweak, a flat chassis is more prone to tweak by its very nature than a tub chassis.
A graphite tub chassis is basically unyielding. This can be a handicap in certain situations though, so you need to consider your needs before making a decision.

Try twisting various chassies in different materials by hand if you get a chance and you'll see.

The carbon shock towers would improve the car no matter what the chassis but to make use of their stiffnes some decent dampers should be added.

As you have hinted, it is much better performace wise to go for a TA05IFS-R which gives you all the upgrades you might need and a few on top of that for petty cash compared to what these upgrades cost when bought separately. The TRF shocks alone cost more than the price difference between a base TA05 kit and the TA05IFS-R. And then you have CV driveshafts (again expensive items) and turnbuckles, and so on. Really, you'd be struggling to beat the price/quality ratio of this kit in today's market. Even the TRF416WE being a top car it still cost double that and it is not double the car.

In the end it is down to personal preference but apart from that, you're only limited in choice by the fact that 416WE is sold out everywhere, whilst dwindling stocks of 416 TA05MS and TA05IFS-R are still available in a few places.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.

Last edited by niznai; 05-24-2009 at 07:13 AM.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:06 AM   #10450
Tech Elite

What's the stock tub made of, nylon or ABS?
Old 05-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #10451
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94eg! View Post
A 2.5T couldn't possibly be meant for 7.4v...
you know what that's a good question...i have run this motor on 7.4v 2s lipo never tried a 3s 11.1v but i would imagine that may not work out very well...

pinionsandspurs . com is my blog i have posted videos of my ta05 running a 2.5r motor hitting over 50mph with stock gearing
dsyed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #10452
Tech Elite

No idea. Plastic, whatever that is. The usual Tamiya plastic I would say.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #10453
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
No idea. Plastic, whatever that is. The usual Tamiya plastic I would say.
I think the usual is glass reinforced nylon.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #10454
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
About tweak, a flat chassis is more prone to tweak by its very nature than a tub chassis. A graphite tub chassis is basically unyielding. This can be a handicap in certain situations though, so you need to consider your needs before making a decision.
I'm sorry to say but you have it backwards. By nature, the pan chassis is a better "tweak-free" platform. I think you may be confusing chassis-flex with tweak...

Any injection modled tub will always be tweaked right out of the press due to the manufacturing process. My friends stock tub on his TA05-R has a nasty tweak in the front end right out of the box. The only way to minimise this, is to place the tub in an oven with weights on it in an attempt to flatten it back out. The only other thing you can do is hand pick a chassis that is flatter than the rest...

BTW: The stock TA05 Tub is made of glass reinforced nylon...
Old 05-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #10455
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriding69 View Post
Any help??????????
Do you already have the plain TA-05?

I have gotten some really good deals on hopped up TA05r on this site.

Recently a TA05R with carbon tub, shock towers, alum motor mount and m ore sold for $150.

If you already have the car, run as is and look for a used one, that would be a lot cheaper then all the hop ups.

For slightly more you can get a used TRF 415 MSXX MRE.

Or a new one from Tamiya for $310 http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=42104
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote