R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 03-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #10366
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDI 0000 View Post
I have another question for Ta05 owners. Im newer to the hobby and my Ta05. Iam enjoying hopping up the car w Tamiya parts. My local hobby shop has a Tamiya carbon chassis for Ta05. The question- Is that a good upgrade for a car that will race only asphalt & rubber tires? Seems asphalt racers like some flex in cars? Fifty bucks spent somewhere else may help more. Thanks for any input.
In my opinion, it's a high-bite carpet racing upgrade. Lucky you that your LHS carries such things though!

From box-stock, for rubber/asphalt racing, I would add (in this order):

- front spool
- front universal shafts
- TRF shocks
- rear universal shafts
- ball bearings for the steering bellcranks

That's really all you need to go stock-spec racing.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:18 AM   #10367
Tech Apprentice

Hi. Is the TA05 a good club racer? I have had the chance to race one during an endrance race but wasnt setup proply but was still a very nice car to drive. A major reason im looking at a TA05 is because they are going for around $200 and thats about what it will cost me in lipo batteries for my Xray T1FK04 and I already have stick lipos for another car so that will not be a problem. I will be running in stock with a 17.5 brushless motor so any inputs would be greatly apprectiated.
FX Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:59 AM   #10368
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 81 (99%+)

It is an awesome club car. Handles very well right out of the box if set to the manuals specs. And setup changes are actually noticeable.
Blacktiger355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #10369
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I picked up a ta05 for some VTA and noticed that it seems a standard servo is too large to fit. What servos are you guys putting in this car.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #10370
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye-mac View Post
I picked up a ta05 for some VTA and noticed that it seems a standard servo is too large to fit. What servos are you guys putting in this car.

Thanks.
A standard servo fits just fine. I started out using a regular Futaba S3004 cheapie. I now prefer Futaba S9551 low profile servos as they buy some extra space between the servo and motor.

reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #10371
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDI 0000 View Post
I have another question for Ta05 owners. Im newer to the hobby and my Ta05. Iam enjoying hopping up the car w Tamiya parts. My local hobby shop has a Tamiya carbon chassis for Ta05. The question- Is that a good upgrade for a car that will race only asphalt & rubber tires? Seems asphalt racers like some flex in cars? Fifty bucks spent somewhere else may help more. Thanks for any input.
You and I race at the same track, and our cars are "basically" the same. You have the TA05 R, I believe, and I have the IFS-R. The only "upgrade" I bought was the hard springs (white short) at all four corners.

I have raced 2 club races and the TCS (all GT3) with my IFS and I'm very pleased with the performance. Like you, I'm stepping up to the 17.5 stock class. I really like this chassis. So much that I have decided not to get the new Yokomo BD5 I was considering.

I agree with Reenmachine. I wouldn't spend the money on the chassis upgrade. If you have the R chassis, you probably already have all the hop-ups he suggested.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:12 PM   #10372
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Smileyboy

Cool thread. This is my first post in these forums.

I too just picked up a used TA05 and I will begin club racing too. I'm a novice and I have never raced on road stuff. But, I'm looking for a brushless system and Lipo batteries too. What are some recommendations and decent prices?

I googled the option of the Tekin RS and it seems like its quite $$$. Are there any other brushless setups that will work that are just as small?

Also, were is the best place to buy the Tamiya TRF shocks?

My car is going to be delived next week and I'd like to get it setup this week so I can hopefully race.
Thanks in advance
Smileyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:26 PM   #10373
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyboy View Post
Cool thread. This is my first post in these forums.

I too just picked up a used TA05 and I will begin club racing too. I'm a novice and I have never raced on road stuff. But, I'm looking for a brushless system and Lipo batteries too. What are some recommendations and decent prices?

I googled the option of the Tekin RS and it seems like its quite $$$. Are there any other brushless setups that will work that are just as small?

Also, were is the best place to buy the Tamiya TRF shocks?

My car is going to be delived next week and I'd like to get it setup this week so I can hopefully race.
Thanks in advance
The Tekin's compact size is nice, but the TA05 chassis has a fair amount of space for an ESC. Consider the Novak Havoc. Affordable, and Novak has great quality and customer service. I assume you'll be starting off with a 21.5 or 17.5 motor.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #10374
Tech Adept

yes I will be starting out with a 17.5.
Thanks

What about Lipo batteries and a charger? I want a few batteries to practice and race with. It's kind of confusing to look at all the options on some of these online stores.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #10375
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyboy View Post
yes I will be starting out with a 17.5.
Thanks

What about Lipo batteries and a charger? I want a few batteries to practice and race with. It's kind of confusing to look at all the options on some of these online stores.

Thanks
Batteries and charger is a bit tougher.

Fortunately, LiPo's have made the world of RC so much better for me. I don't miss NiMh or NiCd batteries at all.

This is the charger I bought http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applica...0s_charger.htm based on the recommendations of some locals and the RC Air community. I like it because it doesn't require much thought, it's quite safe and lucky for me, the company is only 20 minutes from my home. Excellent support!!! Also, firmware upgrades are downloadable, and battery profiles and performance data can be graphed and saved on a PC (not for the Mac, unfortunately).

As far a batteries go, consider talking to the guys at your local track. They may have battery rules/guidelines. Your track may also require the use of a LiPo sack. Our track does.

I bought Orion Carbon packs.

I'm sure others with more knowledge and experience will chime in.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:53 PM   #10376
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

will a novak gtb fit in this car?
Old 03-29-2009, 07:40 PM   #10377
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
will a novak gtb fit in this car?
Yes

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:17 AM   #10378
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

Thanks.
You do have to trim off the bottom half of the mounting bracket on the servo case on the side closest the belt, as per the Tamiya instructions. I didn't like chopping up a brand new servo case much, but you gotta do what you gotta do....

I'm running a basic Futaba servo - nothing flash.
Rear Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:26 AM   #10379
Tech Adept

So I was able to order a eZrun esc and now I'm looking for a motor 17.5 or 21. Does anyone have any recommendations for a motor and also gearing? Thx
Old 03-31-2009, 04:29 AM   #10380
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE=reenmachine;5609668]A standard servo fits just fine. I started out using a regular Futaba S3004 cheapie. I now prefer Futaba S9551 low profile servos as they buy some extra space between the servo and motor.

Great looking car, reenmachine. A couple of questions...

Is your lipo case contoured on the underside to sit in the cell recesses in the chassis? If not, did you have to jack up the battery clamp posts in order to make the strap fit?

I notice you've got a bit of weight added up front... did you need this to bring you up to legal weight, or is it purely for tuning purposes? If it is just for tuning, what is the final weight?

Cheers.
Rear Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote