R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 11-09-2008, 09:52 PM   #9886
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks Mok!

RCGaryK, the diff pulley center hole seems smaller than the one-way one it seems...

Also feedback is that spool will likely decrease off power and improve on power steering. Then the front one-way should help in both, since it acts like a spool on power, and a very loose diff off power? Or am I confusing myself?

Last edited by stocker; 11-10-2008 at 01:03 AM.
stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:16 AM   #9887
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocker View Post
Thanks Mok!

RCGaryK, the diff pulley center hole seems smaller than the one-way one it seems...

Also feedback is that spool will likely decrease off power and improve on power steering. Then the front one-way should help in both, since it acts like a spool on power, and a very loose diff off power? Or am I confusing myself?
Yup, that's what a one-way does. But you also have to deal with the biggest downside of a one-way, the loss of four wheel braking.
HI_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:23 AM   #9888
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI_808 View Post
Yup, that's what a one-way does. But you also have to deal with the biggest downside of a one-way, the loss of four wheel braking.
OK, on my track, I don't use the brake at all with a 13.5. Does drag brake count? What other downsides does 1-way have?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:44 AM   #9889
Tech Champion

Stocker, with a one way if you dont need brakes you are allowing the car to "roll" into the corners. I have a centre one way, which basically stops the front wheels from getting any drive from the motor, hence two wheel braking on the back axle.

Its very useful for fast sweeping tracks where you dont want the cars speed to slow down too much, taking wider turning circles to scrub off speed is one way of doing it but you leave yourself open to someone diving down the inside. Did that kind of help explain things? Typically in stock, you want to carry as much speed through the corners as possible so you dont have to get on the power as much through the exit of the corner = quicker laptimes.

If I had a centre fixed layshaft (no one way) I would have 4 wheel braking and would usually use a more aggressive/defensive line through the corners. Its difficult to hold your line agressively with a front or centre one way as you have to know exactly when to let off the throttle before each corner. But on the more flowing corners the one way is nice as you have less "transmision friction" off throttle.

Also, a front one way will be more noticable than a centre one way.

In 19t or mod you would usually need / prefer a spool or a diff and no one way, too much speed and no brakes =

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:12 AM   #9890
mok
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mok Send a message via Skype™ to mok

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
Stocker, with a one way....
nice post, nailed it as far as i am concerned
mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:31 AM   #9891
Tech Addict

Ok, it is clearer to me now. To summarize, I'm on a 13.5 rubber asphalt, so on a fairly tight, technical track, a spool or diff would be preferred, in order to be tight and aggressive. And the spool would be for tighter and more aggressive than the diff. If the track is more open, sweeping and not so tight, I might use a front one-way or center 1-way with front diff to be smooth and fast. And the front 1-way would be the smoother and faster.

so in terms of technical/aggressive: spool > diff > centre 1-way > frt 1-way.
Also in terms of ease to drive: spool > diff > center 1-way > frt 1-way.

Sounds right?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #9892
Tech Champion

Nail... head... hammer Stocker

Think of it this way.... You cant go steaming into a 180 degree hairpin with a one way and come out of it without either falling off the track totally, or going wide... You'll run outta road with less brakes

Im not saying you cant use a 1 way on a technical track, but you've gotta have balls on holding your line and you'll have your work cut out.

It is just a rule of thumb thing though, each to their own and all that. Sometimes you can get away using a centre one way as its less fierce, sometimes the front one way is the ticket. As for both... Ive not tried that combination yet

If it doesnt take much time to swap out the layshaft and front gearbox try them all to see what you like the most, but I found the spool and fixed centre shaft easier to drive in general, unless using foams indoors where you ideally need a diff up front.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:03 PM   #9893
Tech Addict

For the quickest lap times I would recommend a one-way at all times, regardless of track type, for 13.5/stock. Provided you can drive a very consistant line.
I'm a bit average but my daughter nails it every time.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #9894
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

do you guys think that the ta05 is going to be discontinued some time soon?
where im located, i see alot of people selling them away
its like the tb02, once its discontinued people will tend to sell them away
so thus im asking if the ta05 is goin to be replace with a new chasis
i had a ta05 ifs once but sold it way bcos i took up off road
but now im thinking of picking up drifting so im considering this or the upcoming tb03d but a used ta05 is cheap nowadays
mog ruith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:14 AM   #9895
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think the TA05 will be around for several more years, but, if they do discontinue them, it will make it easier to pick up good used ones to use as parts cars.

I agree with WaOscar:

Quote:
For the quickest lap times I would recommend a one-way at all times, regardless of track type, for 13.5/stock. Provided you can drive a very consistant line.
Especially if you are not using brakes to get around the track. No matter what the size or surface of the track is. (13.5/Stock)

I have told people at our track if you switch to a one way, give yourself several weeks to re-learn how to drive.

When you use a one way you have to drive it in a way to keep weight transfer from back to front to a minium. It will teach you how to drive a car almost allways constantly 'on-power' which is what results in the lower lap times.

LCRC Raceway and Bumps & Jumps.

Last edited by Ed237; 11-11-2008 at 06:35 AM.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:14 AM   #9896
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i really don't like one-ways, just not my style. there's little you can do to change your line during a whole turn because you can't brake. so when you enter a particular line on entry, you have to follow that line through out regardless of what will happen inside the corners. this disadvantage becomes really apparent when there are sudden changes to the situation inside the corners like 1.) a sudden pile up ahead of you and/or 2.) an opening to overtake other racers.

my fellow racers with one-ways are very predictable, in such a way that they always follow a common line and they can't deviate much from that line. unlike those with spools or diffs which can basically create and take different lines on any spot on the track. that's being aggresive for me.

yes, one-ways can be faster (speedwise) than spools and diffs because of the lighter drag on the drivetrain. but being not able to brake mid-corner is more than just bringing your speed down if you're going wide in a corner.
Minami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #9897
Tech Champion

Spool/diff/one way are all very each to their own things.

Sunday I was at a new track that I thought im not going to be competitive without a fixed centre shaft. (I had a centre one way in).

Had no time to get one in for the first round of qualifying and it turned out it felt much better than the fixed centre anyway, I wasnt able to hold a particually aggressive line through the corners, but I was able to carry a lot of speed through some of them.

There are advantages to all of them, I wouldnt say one works the best for me everywhere. The bottom line is that you have to adapt to your own driving style, and the track.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #9898
Tech Regular

JUST A SIMPLE QUESTION.......
would the so well know static problem effect the esc to????
if i am racing on tarmac the car is ok ,but on carpet i do get lots of glitches and throttle and steering is unresponsive,is driving mad!!!!would the static strap solution work on the esc?
any tips please.
thanx
guinnes.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #9899
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

All these static questions have me worried. I haven't finished them, but I have 2 TAO5s for running on carpet. I hope I don't end up needing the carbon tubs
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #9900
Tech Addict

The jumper fix works great.

http://www.sosidge.com/category/rc_cars/tamiya-ta05-r/
Adam? is offline   Reply With Quote