R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 10-02-2008, 06:19 PM   #9721
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
in short, the spool is the most preferred option for a lot of racers. you loose some braking with a one way and you have to take a different line in general and sometimes you have to scrub some speed off as an extra brake.

hard to explain, but personally, i prefer the spool to the one way, one way is good for a fast flowing track, the spool is probably better on the twistier tracks.

it is just one opinion though... and opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one
What are the opinions on ball diff then? I'm not sure if I should go spool...
stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:25 PM   #9722
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

One-way is great for stock racing where you don't "need" brakes. This is especially true on smaller tight tracks. Simply let off the throttle and turn in. Then mid corner you pile on the throttle and the car simply pulls itself out of the turn. Very easy...
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #9723
Tech Addict

I'm running 13.5 rubber-asphalt, variety of turns, mostly 90 degs or more. Currently on ball diff, front slightly tighter than rear. Front ball-diff or spool or 1-way or centre 1-way? Pls advice, thanks!

Last edited by stocker; 10-02-2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #9724
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 302 (100%+)

I'm running 17.5 BL, Front and Centre one way and rear ball diff, very easy to drive like that and I race on what is a medium size technical track.

Don't worry about what I'm doing.
Worry about why you're worried about what I'm doing.

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity."

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #9725
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocker View Post
I'm running 13.5 rubber-asphalt, variety of turns, mostly 90 degs or more. Currently on ball diff, front slightly tighter than rear. Front ball-diff or spool or 1-way or centre 1-way? Pls advice, thanks!
By observation and experience: guys who use spools and go faster with them also know how to use brakes. They go deeper into turns, slam down, pitch the end up and rotate around, and punch it out of the turn. It's aggressive, hard driving. Guys who use spools but don't know how to use brakes just push around the track and don't get any benefit.

I like a one-way (front and center) because I can let off, and then turn in harder than with a diff and still carry more speed through and out of the turn. I think at the pointy end of the sport the one-way has ceded ground to the spool. But for most the one-way is still the better choice all around...IMO.
PutAwayWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:29 AM   #9726
Tech Addict

How much effect does the center + front 1-ways have over just the front 1-way or just the center 1-way?
Old 10-03-2008, 02:57 AM   #9727
Tech Champion

Front one way is more noticable than the centre one way, looking at it in a logical fashion, the front one way is "the" front axle. the centre one way is less noticable as it has to carry the one way drive through the belt, onto the diff.

but, you will still have much less braking with either, or obviously both.

Its all about driving style and what suits you best. for me its spool, for others its one way of some configuration.

Ps, with foams you 99.9% of the time need a diff up front its unheard of to use a front one way or spool with foams from everything i've ever seen in setups....

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #9728
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The center one-way is more mild as tc3team said. This is becuase the front diff is still in place resisting the differential action at all times.

The front one-way is more agressive becasue there is NO diff action on deceleration, and there is locked "spool" action on acceleration.

There isn't much difference when adding the center one-way to the front one-way. I believe it just makes the one-way action more smooth & consistent. Plus it's supposed to make the drivetrain more effecient (though I have no idea how)...
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #9729
DJ
Tech Initiate

I might stay for a while for my front 1way thanks
But can somebody advice me a "site or link" which the setup of all previous champion using ta05 were written.
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #9730
Tech Rookie

I'm not even sure if there's enough adjustment in the bulkhead to make up the slack.

I'll try though.
JoeofLoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #9731
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeofLoath View Post
I'm not even sure if there's enough adjustment in the bulkhead to make up the slack.

I'll try though.
Then you need a new belt.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #9732
Tech Addict

I was reading the Hudy setup manual (No I don't own the system ) and this is what it says about the front axle.

1) Ball diff: commonly used in low-grip conditions
2) Solid axle: typically used on large open outdoor tracks, or tracks that feature braking areas or slippery conditions. Increases on-power steering, less off-power steering. Car is stable and easy to drive.
3) 1-way axle: some on-power understeer. Behaves like diff off-power.
4) 1-way pulley: mentioned how the adjustments affect handling. Tighter for low traction and med traction (slow, tight corners). Looser for med to high traction (slow,tight corners). And 1-way axle for high traction (fast, sweeping corners)

I don't recall the center 1-way being adjustable??
Old 10-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #9733
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Valentin.H

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocker View Post
I was reading the Hudy setup manual (No I don't own the system ) and this is what it says about the front axle.

1) Ball diff: commonly used in low-grip conditions
2) Solid axle: typically used on large open outdoor tracks, or tracks that feature braking areas or slippery conditions. Increases on-power steering, less off-power steering. Car is stable and easy to drive.
3) 1-way axle: some on-power understeer. Behaves like diff off-power.
4) 1-way pulley: mentioned how the adjustments affect handling. Tighter for low traction and med traction (slow, tight corners). Looser for med to high traction (slow,tight corners). And 1-way axle for high traction (fast, sweeping corners)

I don't recall the center 1-way being adjustable??
i believe that's when you are running the center oneway with a front ball-diff...the tightness of the front ball diff controls how the car reacts to the oneway.
Valentin.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:10 AM   #9734
Tech Addict

These are the exact words:

On cars with an adjustable one-way pulley, you determine how freely the front axle turns in relation to the rear axle. You can tighten the adjustment of the one-way pulley on the layshaft; from fully tightened to lock the front wheel to the rear (full time 4WD) or loosened to let the front free wheel off power (4WD on throttle, RWD off throttle). Or it can be set somewhere in between to match your driving style.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:13 AM   #9735
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Then you need a new belt.
lol, it's brand new.

and it's tight now
JoeofLoath is offline   Reply With Quote