R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 08-28-2008, 08:58 AM   #9601
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ View Post
Hi there just want to ask about ta-05 hop ups.
Is ther any difference between Tamiya and 3Racing "front one way"?
except for the price and brand name

Are all 3racing products fit perfectly in Tamiya Ta05?
eg. steering link, graphite front and rear shock tower and alum bulk head.

cheers!
The biggest difference that I've noticed is that the 3racing item will fail or break much sooner than the Tamiya. The 3racing steering knuckles are pure crap, you are much better off with the plastic for strength. The non-stressed parts like the bulkhead fare better.

Bottom line is that for the hard working parts like drivetrains and suspension stick with Tamiya. For the bling parts 3racing is just OK.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #9602
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to loriding69

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
The biggest difference that I've noticed is that the 3racing item will fail or break much sooner than the Tamiya. The 3racing steering knuckles are pure crap, you are much better off with the plastic for strength. The non-stressed parts like the bulkhead fare better.

Bottom line is that for the hard working parts like drivetrains and suspension stick with Tamiya. For the bling parts 3racing is just OK.
I have to agree with you on this one. I had a 3racing spool and it shattered into pieces taking part of the diff cover with it.

If your not here to have fun, then stay at home!!!

Breast Cancer Awareness is my race for the cure!
loriding69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #9603
Tech Adept

i dont know if im allowed to say this..........but 3racing in general is crap...
Square is the best..
habis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #9604
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default my TA05r for sale on the boards

My TA05r is forsale in the sale area. 1 run on carpet only. basically new with a front oneway diff too and wide pitch pulleys f&r. 130 shipped.
fat500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:23 AM   #9605
DJ
Tech Initiate

Thanks guy for the straight forward answers, regarding the comaparisson between Tamiya and 3racing parts.

I have already ordered "3racing" Steering link and Front 1 way
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #9606
Tech Elite

You should be OK with the steering link but keep an eye on those bearings and outdrives.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:48 AM   #9607
DJ
Tech Initiate

I hope so it could be OK.
Now i'm waiting for my front 1way, but forgot to ask if i need to change also to center 1 way. Is there any good having on it (center 1way)?
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:55 AM   #9608
Tech Master

Has anyone here raced the Ta05 athlete conversion by Tech Racing? I might be able to get one for a good price. It looks like it makes the car more like a trf415 with the motor being towards the back.
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:26 AM   #9609
Tech Master

any of the square/tobee/3racing stuff that is alloy to replace the plastice kit items are junk for racing. The 3Racing toe-blocks are good, their chassis conversions are good, there steering/uprights etc, junk.... save your money and buy the Tamiya items.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:45 AM   #9610
Tech Champion

Also steer clear of any pre assembled alloy shocks/driveshafts- if it goes pop or bang its unlikely seperate parts are available for a rebuild

on a seperate note, the athlete kit looks a little heavy, but very rigid, so it maybe useful for foam tyres on high bite tracks... I found a linky on it for anyone who's interested

http://www.redrc.net/2007/04/tech-ra...onversion-kit/

that said, the 3racing graphite/cf conversion kits are still heavy, but work well on foam and rubber tyres on high bite tracks. Low bite tracks though, forget it- the car doesnt have enough flex to generate it into grip and even with softer compound tyres it is a slouch.

It simply doesnt generate flex and therefore the car doesnt rotate enough in the twistys.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:54 AM   #9611
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Angry

can anyone recommend replacement front steering arms. I lost one today, and note that I need to buy the metal parts bag b to replace one steering arm. Is there another company that marks a suitable arm, and if so, where can I get them.
any help is appreciated.
Team ARGO RC - Like us on Facebook
aussierevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:06 AM   #9612
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just get a pair of 3x32mm turnbuckles and low friction adjusters (#53601).

stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:26 AM   #9613
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

thanks stocker...much appreciated. I learnt my lesson today, don't drink and rc drive.....car's tend to ignore the radio signal and go anywhere, and alias, parts tend to go astray.
Team ARGO RC - Like us on Facebook
aussierevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:58 AM   #9614
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
It simply doesnt generate flex and therefore the car doesnt rotate enough in the twistys.
Can you go into this a bit more for me? Maybe this is a scaling difference between R/C and 1:1. In full-size race cars the aim is usually to make the chassis as stiff as possible so the suspension can do its work in a controlled, predictable manner. Chassis flex introduces an extremely complex variable into the equation that can't easily be controlled. Why wouldn't one want as stiff a chassis as possible in R/C and then tune the handling characteristics with the suspension?
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:49 AM   #9615
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Can you go into this a bit more for me? Maybe this is a scaling difference between R/C and 1:1. In full-size race cars the aim is usually to make the chassis as stiff as possible so the suspension can do its work in a controlled, predictable manner. Chassis flex introduces an extremely complex variable into the equation that can't easily be controlled. Why wouldn't one want as stiff a chassis as possible in R/C and then tune the handling characteristics with the suspension?
Dont quote me on all of this as I might be partially wrong lol, but...

1) yes 1/1 and 1/10 operate in different ways, partiallly because we use foam not air in our rubber tyres so the chassis works in a different way when it comes to flex. Foam tyres are solid, so as a result, the chassis ideally needs to be "solid" (ie less flex) This is the easiest way to remember chassis setup for foam.

2) rubber tyres and a low bite track prefer a thinner chassis. the twisting (or flex) of the thinner chassis and softer oil/springs actually help the car to generate more traction, and therefore rotate better in the twistys.

In short, yes you would think logic would go a long way to help understand the other, but in fact goes a long way from the truth! Dont confuse 1/1 and 1/10 setup, they are not similar in how they are set up.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote