Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan >

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Like Tree25Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Old 07-02-2008, 04:30 PM
  #9451  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northern & Central Illinois
Posts: 4,337
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by maxepower View Post
This is close to my asphalt set-up?
Yes, it works equally well on both with the right tires. I should have mentioned that I have everything else box stock.

I used to run 13.5 now I'm running a 4.5 and that set-up works just great for me. I am using a front spool on the asphalt and switch to a one-way or diff on carpet. The asphalt we use is blown clean and treated with soda pop, the traction is huge.
AreCee is offline  
Old 07-02-2008, 04:53 PM
  #9452  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
kavadni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 328
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by loriding69 View Post
I was told last night by one of the fast guys who runs mod to put sway bars front and rear. I put the front on (yellow) and it helped out alot but i was told to put the rear on as well (red) but didn't have the time. so what would putting the rear on do for the car? and also, on a small track like SIR do i want to run diff, spool, or 1-way? and for a larger track like FWR same question?
Going from no rear stabiliser to a stabiliser will result in:
less left to right body roll at the rear, an apparent increase in front traction (or a decrease in rear) depending on hw you like to express it. And the car will generally turn more on power, and increased response to steering input while turning.

Generally if a car has less body roll, then it will react to your inout quicker.

I will decline from answering the one way question, try them, there are wide and varied opinions on what they are good for. It depends on how you like to drive .. style.

Kevin
kavadni is offline  
Old 07-02-2008, 10:00 PM
  #9453  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (25)
 
loriding69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 3,440
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by kavadni View Post
Going from no rear stabiliser to a stabiliser will result in:
less left to right body roll at the rear, an apparent increase in front traction (or a decrease in rear) depending on hw you like to express it. And the car will generally turn more on power, and increased response to steering input while turning.

Generally if a car has less body roll, then it will react to your inout quicker.

I will decline from answering the one way question, try them, there are wide and varied opinions on what they are good for. It depends on how you like to drive .. style.

Kevin
Thanks
loriding69 is offline  
Old 07-03-2008, 05:57 AM
  #9454  
Registered User
iTrader: (20)
 
UltegraSTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,171
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

just noticed they discontinued the 'standard' R kit. pity it tiz.

R
UltegraSTI is offline  
Old 07-03-2008, 08:47 AM
  #9455  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,640
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Asphalt to carpet!

Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Yes, it works equally well on both with the right tires. I should have mentioned that I have everything else box stock.

I used to run 13.5 now I'm running a 4.5 and that set-up works just great for me. I am using a front spool on the asphalt and switch to a one-way or diff on carpet. The asphalt we use is blown clean and treated with soda pop, the traction is huge.
Do you change the droop from asphalt to carpet? What tires do you use for carpet? Inquiring minds want to know!
maxepower is offline  
Old 07-03-2008, 10:35 AM
  #9456  
mok
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
mok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,075
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Just my 2 cents..

I've only found that droop needed to be less the faster I go. My theory here being that the weight of your car is thrown around more when accelerating/decelerating to and from the faster speeds.

Track smoothness would come into play also. Its possible that better results can be achieved with a slighty higher droop value on a bumpy track, with the theory being that weight can be shifted around as the car travels over the bumpy sections allowing chassis to move and maintain traction. The stiffness of your shocks also comes into play in this scenario too (too stiff and your car will bounce around and not maintain traction).

Technical vs open sweeping tracks might need different droop values. More rear droop on a technical track can allow a cars weight to shift forward and provide more steering on corner entry.

Traction levels can also require different droop values.

I would probably suggest that the required droop is more determined by your chassis setup, weight, power etc allowing a certain "baseline" droop for your car to be found. Adjustments would then need to be made with the above in mind.

I'm sure I'm not 100% correct here for all scenarios however so take what I say with a grain of salt.. just providing food for thought

-Mark
mok is offline  
Old 07-03-2008, 10:45 AM
  #9457  
mok
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
mok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,075
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by loriding69 View Post
another question, and if you guys get tired of me asking then i will just ask more and more ......

I was told last night by one of the fast guys who runs mod to put sway bars front and rear. I put the front on (yellow) and it helped out alot but i was told to put the rear on as well (red) but didn't have the time. so what would putting the rear on do for the car? and also, on a small track like SIR do i want to run diff, spool, or 1-way? and for a larger track like FWR same question?

Guys thanks for all the help so far. Can't wait to get this car completely dialed in so i can be a top contender as well.
Just to respond to the use of a one way, diff or spool....

I used to run a centre one way on a TA05 in stock and found I got good results. I then ran a front one way on a TA05MS in a 13.5 brushless class and also had good results. Neither of which however I would say was soley due to using a one way.

When I moved to modified, the front one way was quickly dropped on the TA05MS and I ran a diff both front and rear. I found that the lack of braking and massive turn-in was a hinderance with the new found speed I was attaining.

More recently I have been racing outdoors on asphalt on what I would probably call a more open less technical track and whilst the diff provides good results, a spool is also very good.

You're going to find lots of answers to this question, some people will tell you only to use a diff whilst others will praise one ways or spools.

I dont necessarily know if there is a definitive answer, try them all and see what you like the most for your track - dont be afraid to experiment and dont let people with strong opinions stop you from just getting out there and giving them a go

-Mark
mok is offline  
Old 07-03-2008, 12:04 PM
  #9458  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (25)
 
loriding69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 3,440
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mok View Post
Just to respond to the use of a one way, diff or spool....

I used to run a centre one way on a TA05 in stock and found I got good results. I then ran a front one way on a TA05MS in a 13.5 brushless class and also had good results. Neither of which however I would say was soley due to using a one way.

When I moved to modified, the front one way was quickly dropped on the TA05MS and I ran a diff both front and rear. I found that the lack of braking and massive turn-in was a hinderance with the new found speed I was attaining.

More recently I have been racing outdoors on asphalt on what I would probably call a more open less technical track and whilst the diff provides good results, a spool is also very good.

You're going to find lots of answers to this question, some people will tell you only to use a diff whilst others will praise one ways or spools.

I dont necessarily know if there is a definitive answer, try them all and see what you like the most for your track - dont be afraid to experiment and dont let people with strong opinions stop you from just getting out there and giving them a go

-Mark
Good Looking Out!
Thanks for all the input on this. Thanks for all the input that has been given. i will let you guys know the results of what i liked and what i didn't like at tomorrows races.
loriding69 is offline  
Old 07-07-2008, 08:09 AM
  #9459  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (25)
 
loriding69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 3,440
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

OK, here it is........ yellow springs all around, sway bars front and rear, 1-way/diff, 4.77 FDR. The car handled like a champ but just needs more speed. I'm still running the stock spur for right now but will change that out as soon as i can. once again, thanks you guys for all your help.
loriding69 is offline  
Old 07-07-2008, 09:38 AM
  #9460  
mok
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
mok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,075
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Have you given any thought to running a front/rear diff with a centre one way instead of the front one way, solid centre and rear diff?

All the benefits of a one way with the advantages a diff in the front gives you.

You'll still have reduced braking but the diff in the front should allow for some more controlled cornering.

-Mark
mok is offline  
Old 07-07-2008, 10:00 AM
  #9461  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (25)
 
loriding69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 3,440
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mok View Post
Have you given any thought to running a front/rear diff with a centre one way instead of the front one way, solid centre and rear diff?

All the benefits of a one way with the advantages a diff in the front gives you.

You'll still have reduced braking but the diff in the front should allow for some more controlled cornering.

-Mark
please enlighten me on this. what parts would i need? I'm down for trying anything that would possibly make my car better. Never heard of a center one way. I'm all ears

Double E
loriding69 is offline  
Old 07-07-2008, 10:39 AM
  #9462  
mok
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
mok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,075
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Tamiya Part # 53841
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53841

The differences are very subtle between the 2 options...

The front one way acts like a spool when on power, whereas the centre one way/front diff combination does not. The spool action when on power of the front one way can really help to pull your car out of the corners (essentially allowing you to blam on the throttle harder and sooner).

When off power or braking, both the centre one way and the front one way work exactly the same. That is, the front wheels are free to rotate. In an extreme example, when hard braking and the rear wheels lock up the front wheels wont when using either the centre or front one ways.

The front one way does not provide any diff action across the front wheels, but I guess could be considered to be like a really really loose diff when off power. Like in a diff, each of the front wheels can rotate at different speeds.

When using a centre one way and front diff combination, the front wheels are free to continue rotating unretarded by the rear. In this way, the front one way and centre one way act the same.

However, using the centre one way with a front diff gives you a level of adjustability over how loose or tight the diff action on the front wheels are. A front one way only has a really loose diff setting, wherease the front diff can be adjusted from loose to tight. You can use the diff to tune the handling charactistics of your car through the corners.

I guess to summarise..

Front one way allows aggressive turn in on the corners and pulls out hard due to its spool like action when on power.

Centre one way + front diff allows aggressive turn in but offers adjustability of the diff action.

Neither options allow 4 wheel braking, only the rears will slow the car down. This can be seen to be bad as if you brake whilst turning the car will have a tendancy to lose traction and swing out in the rear (overcome this by braking in straight lines only).

Others might have differing opinions or might be able to suggest some more differences between the two

-Mark
mok is offline  
Old 07-07-2008, 11:02 AM
  #9463  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (25)
 
loriding69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 3,440
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mok View Post
Tamiya Part # 53841
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53841

The differences are very subtle between the 2 options...

The front one way acts like a spool when on power, whereas the centre one way/front diff combination does not. The spool action when on power of the front one way can really help to pull your car out of the corners (essentially allowing you to blam on the throttle harder and sooner).

When off power or braking, both the centre one way and the front one way work exactly the same. That is, the front wheels are free to rotate. In an extreme example, when hard braking and the rear wheels lock up the front wheels wont when using either the centre or front one ways.

The front one way does not provide any diff action across the front wheels, but I guess could be considered to be like a really really loose diff when off power. Like in a diff, each of the front wheels can rotate at different speeds.

When using a centre one way and front diff combination, the front wheels are free to continue rotating unretarded by the rear. In this way, the front one way and centre one way act the same.

However, using the centre one way with a front diff gives you a level of adjustability over how loose or tight the diff action on the front wheels are. A front one way only has a really loose diff setting, wherease the front diff can be adjusted from loose to tight. You can use the diff to tune the handling charactistics of your car through the corners.

I guess to summarise..

Front one way allows aggressive turn in on the corners and pulls out hard due to its spool like action when on power.

Centre one way + front diff allows aggressive turn in but offers adjustability of the diff action.

Neither options allow 4 wheel braking, only the rears will slow the car down. This can be seen to be bad as if you brake whilst turning the car will have a tendancy to lose traction and swing out in the rear (overcome this by braking in straight lines only).

Others might have differing opinions or might be able to suggest some more differences between the two

-Mark

Got it!!! Thanks for the explanation, it really helped out alot.
loriding69 is offline  
Old 07-07-2008, 12:21 PM
  #9464  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (19)
 
minimusprime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: OC CA
Posts: 265
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

is tamiya durability still awesome... it's been a while since i've been involved in rc.
minimusprime is offline  
Old 07-07-2008, 12:34 PM
  #9465  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (25)
 
loriding69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 3,440
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

so far so good. And i have had some wicked crashes trying to learn how to drive the car.............
loriding69 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.