Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 04-23-2008, 11:11 AM   #9226
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvar View Post
I will try the softer red spring over the weekend. Meanwhile, will the stiffer composite chassis make a difference in this situation? Also, should i try to lower or raise the roll center?
Try softer springs and lower roll center in low traction conditions and try stiffer springs and chassis parts and raise roll center in high traction conditions. Lowering the roll center allows the chassis to roll to the outside wheel giving more grip but it makes the car a little more lazy feeling. Conversely, stiffening the car and raising the roll center allows the car to react quicker but you need high traction conditions due to the lower grip on the outside wheels. Hope this helps.
martman_oc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #9227
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi guys,

I bought my TA05R about 2 months ago and i have been trying to set it up the way i want it. I tried quite a number of different changes but till now the car is still no where close to what i want. Basically i would like my car to drive like:

- Twitchy
- Needs to maintain speed through corners or else car will traction roll
- Rear that follows the front around corners

Am i asking for the impossible? I'm racing on asphalt using the same tires as everyone else. Somehow the front end of the car is always lacking in grip.

Can you guys point me in a direction on which changes will get me closer to this setup? Should i allow the car to roll more or less? Should the roll center be higher or lower?

By the way, i'm still running the plastic tub chassis. Does it actually help if i use the graphite tub chassis?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.
in addition to what everyone else posted.... my suggestion is to dump the plastic tub. the car gets "freed" up significantly when you add the graphite tub.

YES it is tweaked...and yes lots of people here will tell you the plastic tub is the only solution to get rid of the tweak. but the tweak isnt so bad that it'll adversely affect your car. only world class drivers can feel that "tweaked" tub..and lets be honest, if we were a world class drivers, we wouldnt be driving TA05Rs.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #9228
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

I HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY 415 REAR END STEPPING OUT IN TURNS AND NOT FOLLOWING THE FRONT OF THE CAR. I INCREASED THE REAR DROOP SO THAT WHEN THE WEIGHT IS ON THE FRONT OF THE CAR WHEN BRAKING AND GOING INTO THE TURN, THE REAR TIRES CAN STILL TOUCH THE GROUND. THIS HELPED TREMENDOUSLY! ALSO, IF YOUR REAR END BREAKS TRACTION WITH ON THROTTLE, INCREASE YOUR FRONT DROOP. THIS WILL PUT MORE WEIGHT TO THE BACK TIRES AND STOP THEM FROM SPINNING...
HUCKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #9229
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
only world class drivers can feel that "tweaked" tub..and lets be honest, if we were a world class drivers, we wouldnt be driving TA05Rs.
Well, a young kid with a TA05R beat out world class drivers with the "top of the line" Tamiya cars at the TCS Worlds.
HI_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:12 AM   #9230
Tech Rookie

I tried softer spring with a sway bar on the rear and that made the understeer worse. I can hear the front tires scrubbing in the faster corners.
kelvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #9231
Tech Champion

Sounds like you need a better tyre or harder suspension then Kelvar, try slightly harder front suspension to the rear, or on the back than on the front if that doesnt hook up.

Tyres are the number one setting to getting grip, so it may be that yours are too hard and not gripping, pushing the car on corners, and understeering.

hope that helps

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:30 AM   #9232
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am running 100/38 combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3dreamin2008 View Post
HEy Guys,
WHat gearing advice do you guys have for a short asphalt track with CO27? I have 100tooth spur
Redwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:14 AM   #9233
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My cars been performing really well overall. But of recent times it began to detoriate, exhibiting bad inconsistant understeer in and out of corners. After checking all the usual areas I stumbled across a strange binding around my center pulley area.There was a hardened crust (like a bead of hardened threadlock) bordering the the face of center pully which would intermitantly grab the center one-way. This handelling problem has been annoying me for the last 2 week and I finaly found it and now she's back to her best!

www.brccc.org
myan racing (coming soon)
myan_gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:06 AM   #9234
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by myan_gsr View Post
My cars been performing really well overall. But of recent times it began to detoriate, exhibiting bad inconsistant understeer in and out of corners. After checking all the usual areas I stumbled across a strange binding around my center pulley area.There was a hardened crust (like a bead of hardened threadlock) bordering the the face of center pully which would intermitantly grab the center one-way. This handelling problem has been annoying me for the last 2 week and I finaly found it and now she's back to her best!
I would double check your shimming on the centre layshaft as it sounds like something may have melted and stuck on

When I got my centre one way there were shimming instructions with it, might be worth looking up and being sure. I've not experienced that before?

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:32 AM   #9235
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
I would double check your shimming on the centre layshaft as it sounds like something may have melted and stuck on

When I got my centre one way there were shimming instructions with it, might be worth looking up and being sure. I've not experienced that before?
I rebuilt it using the instructions and all the shims were there and in the right place. I do suspect now that it was plastic particles on the track from the drifters who use the track often. Thanks for the reply

www.brccc.org
myan racing (coming soon)
myan_gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #9236
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm running a 10.5r with 105/45.

I'm using 35wt oil and yellow springs all round now. I don't know if my understanding is wrong but wouldn't a softer rear cause more weight transfer to the rear and cause the front to loss more grip?
Car pushing?

Kevlar- You are right. Just go back the the yellow springs all around and if you need a little more steering stand the rear shock up 1 hole. Red springs in back will NOT give you more turn in because there is no weight transfer to the front with light rear springs. The yellow springs in rear will create that weight transfer and if you stand the shock up it will generate even more transfer which may be too much in the end. Other tricks for weight transfer to the front off power is to have a little more rear droop. Add rear droop in half turn increments until you have the right balance. Obviously make sure the droop is equal from left to right.

Best

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #9237
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to bigb11

are you using a one-way or spool?
PHAT QUAD RACING, HPI/HOTBODIES, RATZAS, DARKSIDE MOTOR SPORTS, PARMA, Brown Engineering, ROBITRONICS, RC AMERICA, PANTHER, TEKIN, TEAM HOLY ROLLER, Rev Tech/Epic, RC AFRICA, HITEC www.browneng.org, DE wheels
bigb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #9238
Tech Regular

try having a look on this site maybe there is something that maybe of help.
http://users.pandora.be/elvo/
Old 05-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #9239
Tech Apprentice

can someone share his TA-05r setup to me. I follow the manual instructions but it doesnt roll nice.
i searched for other setup but cant find one or i missed it.
Thanks
best of blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #9240
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks guys.
i had already understand the full picture of the suspension mount.

Yet another question from me. I am looking for the spacers that is used on the suspension arm's rod. there is too many "sizes" available, nt sure which is the correct one. Could anyone provide me the part no. for it ? thanks alot !

Yokomo DPM 1.5CS | HobbyWing Xerun 120A | HobbyWing 8.5T motor | Sanwa WRX servo | KoproPo EX10 Helios Spektrum
speedzer is offline   Reply With Quote