R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 04-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #9181
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam-ehz View Post
Ah, the white belts must be longer to fit 18T Mid pulleys! I was wondering when they'd get around to doing this.. Just what i was waiting for!

Should be fine if we keep the 36T pulleys instead of switching to 37T, just have to set it a bit tighter..

Here's the Description, translated..

IFS ★ TA05-chassis, 30-race essential part of a new species equipped with a kit. ★ new parts made of aluminum center plate and cutting out 37T-18T belt pulley set. ★ Center's Floating type chassis plate is easy to twist it to improve steering response, the belt-driven drive to achieve reduction of resistance.
what the heck does...

"Center's Floating type chassis plate is easy to twist it to improve steering response"

mean?
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #9182
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The belts are Tech racing Low Fiction belts. The Center Pulley is a Tech Racing Floating Aluminum 18t and with trf415 35 Pullies...IR is 1.944. This is user friendly for Brushless. The 36t or 37t will work with these belts. These parts can be order at Champs.
m3ndo5a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #9183
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
what the heck does...

"Center's Floating type chassis plate is easy to twist it to improve steering response"

mean?
Hah.. they must have just left out a few screws or something in the braces..

I like the belt-driven drive.. just so we know, the drive is belt-driven!
Old 04-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #9184
Tech Fanatic

Hey Guys, I am thinking about buying an unbuilt kit from someone... it is this kit.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58350

He is also including some special edition clear blue parts from tamya, NIB TRF Dampers and such...

Basically I am a casual drifter with no one to race with, but I have been getting antsy with my TT-01 once I put a Mamba 6900 into it. I will occasionally run it around with rubber tires as well, (right now I have to because I broke a dogbone on a clip-the-wall accident.

So my question is this: Is the TA-05 really something worth getting if I am not racing? I am particular in a way that I want the TT-01 to be more precise, and strong. However this TA-05 kit sounds like a great deal, and I think I would be very happy, but these are my predicted grievances:

1) I break another part, so I need to go buy more parts
2) The driving may be a hard on the chassis, and the camber/toe settings will be messed up.
3) The belt gets grinded up because I am driving in parking lots
4) In the winter I'll have nothing to do with it (I drive my TT-01 in the snow sometimes...and it actually held up...)

I have a feeling this chassis should be kept on the track, and is not really appropriate for my situation. But I dunno about you guys, is there anyone else in the same situation?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #9185
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

i used to drift a ta05
their awsome
really tough toe and camber wont get messed up from drifting dont worry
i730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #9186
Tech Fanatic

How about the belts? How often do you guys have to change belts due to wear, or just plain breakage due to gravel or other debris? Do you find that the belts break easily, or often due to certain things?

Also, since the gears are exposed, how does that fair if gravel bounces into the chassis?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #9187
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to encore75
Default another "what should i get" question...

I normally run offroad, but have been looking to get into onroad again (I previously had a TT-01D and an AE TC4, but think I want go with a belt drive this time around). I've been looking at the TA05R but have recently come across the opportunity to buy a buddy's spare 415 (MSX, i believe).

Which would you go with???

The car will be running mainly 13.5, primarily on asphalt, but maybe on carpet too in the near future. I'm not too familiar with the Tamiya touring cars yet, so any input is much appreciated. My main concerns are durability and parts availability/cost, as I still consider myself a bit of a novice when it comes to TC. (However, I've been in the hobby for a long time now, so wrenching on the cars isn't a problem...it's the driving part that I'm still getting the hang of. )

BTW, I'm also considering the Cyclone or Cyclone S, so if you have any insight as to how those compare, please let me know.

TIA!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:32 PM   #9188
Tech Fanatic

Encore I am also learning about the TA05 but I know that it is an amazing chassis, with plenty of parts availability. You are going to want to go with stores like towerhobbies.com and other shops, because tamiausa.com tends to be overpriced and only carry tamiya upgrades. 3 Racing has some of the best upgrades out there for lots of Tamiya cars, and I know the TA05 has more than you'd ever need (though some people in this thread would disagree...haha!)

The 415 I believe is also a very good chassis, but is definitely one reserved for the track. I am not sure how these two compare though, but I know the 415 tends to be more carbon fiber/aluminum studded--so it will be more rigid, precise and professional (and $$$).
Old 04-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #9189
Tech Adept

Default It is a Good Tourer in stock form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooshu Beef View Post
Encore I am also learning about the TA05 but I know that it is an amazing chassis, with plenty of parts availability. You are going to want to go with stores like towerhobbies.com and other shops, because tamiausa.com tends to be overpriced and only carry tamiya upgrades. 3 Racing has some of the best upgrades out there for lots of Tamiya cars, and I know the TA05 has more than you'd ever need (though some people in this thread would disagree...haha!)

The 415 I believe is also a very good chassis, but is definitely one reserved for the track. I am not sure how these two compare though, but I know the 415 tends to be more carbon fiber/aluminum studded--so it will be more rigid, precise and professional (and $$$).
I race with guys who run TA05's and R's with modded chassis'.. The stock TA05 you are looking at are nice tourers, the TRF dampers and the blue parts trees sounds like a sweet deal. And if you do want some upgrades 3Racing is good but Tech Racing and Square are a little better but cost a bit more, ebay that stuff.
Some advice, if you get that TA05 get some aluminum suspension blocks, the plastic blocks are sort of a weak point on the suspension arms from what I heard..
These blue alloy blocks come in different lengths for Toe-In/Race purposes- all TRF, EVOLUTION, and TA05-R kits come with them standard..
BTW- I think Tamiya still has the TRF415MSX on sale for $275 and an EVOLUTION 4 (shaft) for $250.... Feel free to PM me with any Tamiya questions..
Old 04-10-2008, 12:05 AM   #9190
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to asil

Quote:
How about the belts? How often do you guys have to change belts due to wear, or just plain breakage due to gravel or other debris? Do you find that the belts break easily, or often due to certain things?

Also, since the gears are exposed, how does that fair if gravel bounces into the chassis?
I used my TA-05R on track with very high traction last season.. front & rear diffs, like to use brake alot and no problem with belts.. I will use them this season , too.. Sorry my wife will use them because she will participate in Turkish Championship

I used both normal TA-05R chassis and 3Racing CF chassis and small stones never caused any problems, there were a lot on the track..

HTH

Asil

Last edited by asil; 04-10-2008 at 12:08 AM. Reason: spelling :)
asil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:54 AM   #9191
Tech Addict

I've had no problem with belts but the white diff pullies do wear faster than I would like(in mod)
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:44 AM   #9192
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:

1) I break another part, so I need to go buy more parts
2) The driving may be a hard on the chassis, and the camber/toe settings will be messed up.
3) The belt gets grinded up because I am driving in parking lots
4) In the winter I'll have nothing to do with it (I drive my TT-01 in the snow sometimes...and it actually held up...)

I have a feeling this chassis should be kept on the track, and is not really appropriate for my situation. But I dunno about you guys, is there anyone else in the same situation?
Hi Mooshu

most people who answered above missed the point that you are running on dirty parking lots and not on a track in most cases. For this very reason I would advise, like you already guessed, to stay away from "open-belt" car designs like the TA05 otherwise you'll chew up belts and tires on a regular basis. The TT01 is a much better basher for un-prepped surfaces and drifts just as well as the TA05 or any more competitive chassis, as drifting does not involve racecar suspension geometry as much as serious touring car racing, which you won't do. Last but not least shaft cars are better drifters than belters due to the consistency with which all 4 wheels break loose at once.

Additionally, if you drift close to the curbs sometimes (if you see what I mean), yes the camber will be messed up on the TA05 as the turnbuckles and balljoints are not that robust either.

Keep your money and your TT01 for goofing around, just like there's no point racing club-level slalom racing with a 911GT3 - my 2 cts.

Paul
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:52 AM   #9193
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

After some request im posting my setup, sorry its done poorly but If i havent filled a spot in on the setup sheet, the setting will be the kit setting from a box stock TAO5R. And if i have missed on something inportant let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-my-setup.jpg  
Fast XXXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:35 AM   #9194
Tech Champion

Confirmation the ta05 is a competitive car at club level with a few upgrades... The car is a year old, with unmatched cells and 80g overweight...

http://www.teamtekin.com/2008AdurWinterSeries.html

I finished 3rd overall

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #9195
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
Hi Mooshu

most people who answered above missed the point that you are running on dirty parking lots and not on a track in most cases. For this very reason I would advise, like you already guessed, to stay away from "open-belt" car designs like the TA05 otherwise you'll chew up belts and tires on a regular basis. The TT01 is a much better basher for un-prepped surfaces and drifts just as well as the TA05 or any more competitive chassis, as drifting does not involve racecar suspension geometry as much as serious touring car racing, which you won't do. Last but not least shaft cars are better drifters than belters due to the consistency with which all 4 wheels break loose at once.

Additionally, if you drift close to the curbs sometimes (if you see what I mean), yes the camber will be messed up on the TA05 as the turnbuckles and balljoints are not that robust either.

Keep your money and your TT01 for goofing around, just like there's no point racing club-level slalom racing with a 911GT3 - my 2 cts.

Paul

i drifted my ta05 on crappy surface and never broke a belt or ruined pullys
i was running a 8.5 brushless too
never used for grip
it holds up well
i730 is offline   Reply With Quote