Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan >

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Like Tree25Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Old 03-19-2008, 05:25 AM
  #9076  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (8)
 
mjderstine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 413
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

thanks for the feedback guys. i race on smooth asphalt that was put down specifically for racing rc cars at the track site. most guys use foams because the track is very smooth and foams seem to get the best grip. i am using hpi x-patterns and get very good grip with them too.
the track, when set up for tc racing,(they make it an oval sometimes too) is usually very tight with two long straights with big sweeping turns at the ends.

so maybe a stiff chassis wouldn't be the worst thing for this track.
but when i race oval i would want a more flexible chassis correct?
mjderstine is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 06:28 AM
  #9077  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 59
Default

thanks for all the info regarding the gearing of ta-05
best of blue is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 06:37 AM
  #9078  
Tech Champion
 
tc3team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 6,151
Default

Originally Posted by mjderstine View Post
thanks for the feedback guys. i race on smooth asphalt that was put down specifically for racing rc cars at the track site. most guys use foams because the track is very smooth and foams seem to get the best grip. i am using hpi x-patterns and get very good grip with them too.
the track, when set up for tc racing,(they make it an oval sometimes too) is usually very tight with two long straights with big sweeping turns at the ends.

so maybe a stiff chassis wouldn't be the worst thing for this track.
but when i race oval i would want a more flexible chassis correct?

I would change the chassis as a last resort, more so if you have not been racing for too long. The stiffer chassis is best suited to high traction tracks, (usually indoors on foam tyres) moreso if the track is tight and a technical layout.

The ideal solution would to buy a 2nd chassis and use that solely for the thicker chassis, then experiment your heart away... Get a roller cheap off ebay etc...
tc3team is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 07:41 AM
  #9079  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Kevin CBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: "Racing Budget" is an oxymoron
Posts: 3,977
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
ooo new car scheme coming out.

Hey Hebiki, I already have this kit (Yeah, I know you are surprised). The body is the same as the Ebbro 350R, just different livery.
Kevin CBR is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 07:42 AM
  #9080  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (8)
 
mjderstine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 413
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

thanks TC3.

i was thinking about the same thing. just trying another chassis. one for each setup, first of all it a pain changing the setup every two weeks for oval then road courses. what i did do is get another guy really intested in the ta05, who actually races it, he beat a whole bunch of corallies and asssocisted guys the other day with his $100 ta05.

what i did do is get a tb02 chassis the other day on ebay, its coming ready to run from a guy who only drove it a couple times. its not the same chassis, but at least ill have two that share some parts.
mjderstine is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 08:26 AM
  #9081  
Tech Champion
 
tc3team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 6,151
Default

cool, hope things hook up well for you! Just keep an eye on the belt tension on the ta05, after a few races from new you might need to retension them.

Raced my ta05 for a year in stock, still on the first set of belts too...
tc3team is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 09:02 AM
  #9082  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (26)
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,921
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR View Post
Hey Hebiki, I already have this kit (Yeah, I know you are surprised). The body is the same as the Ebbro 350R, just different livery.
you dont surprise me anymore Kevin yah i like this livery better than the original one.
Hebiki is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 09:11 AM
  #9083  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Redwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toronto Ontario Canada
Posts: 302
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Drag problems

Hey guys, need help.

I have a TA05r, its the first time I ran since buying it new two week ago at TCS. I noticed that the gears were kind of loud compaired to others running TA05's that are quite. I took the motor out and dosen't seem to be rolling as freely as it should. The belts are ok (not too tight or too loose). What seems to be the problem? I'm just wondering if its the bearings because it new?
Thanks for the imput.

Paul
Redwings is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 09:30 AM
  #9084  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (26)
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,921
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Redwings View Post
Hey guys, need help.

I have a TA05r, its the first time I ran since buying it new two week ago at TCS. I noticed that the gears were kind of loud compaired to others running TA05's that are quite. I took the motor out and dosen't seem to be rolling as freely as it should. The belts are ok (not too tight or too loose). What seems to be the problem? I'm just wondering if its the bearings because it new?
Thanks for the imput.

Paul
Paul,

did you spray out the bearings? or just install them? if you didnt spray them out, the grease is still in there. that might be a cause of the drag.

- Chris
Hebiki is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 09:33 AM
  #9085  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northern & Central Illinois
Posts: 4,337
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Check your diffs to see if one or both are rubbing against the bulkhead. It is easy to misalign the eccentric bearing holders thereby tilting the diff.

Remove the center shaft and try rolling the chassis without the belts on the center pulley.
AreCee is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 09:44 AM
  #9086  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (8)
 
mjderstine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 413
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

i have the blue aramid belts in mine and after a couple runs i had to tighten it, they are both on the tightest setting.

i have also noticed my car is pretty darn loud compared to the other guys, ive cleaned the bearings before with some acetone and relubed them. i think its my spur and pinion, both have had their share of pebbles in them.
mjderstine is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 09:46 AM
  #9087  
Tech Champion
 
tc3team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 6,151
Default

check the teeth on the spur gear, they go loud after a few runs usually, they may look a bit "off centre" too as a clue.

Switch to 48 or 64dp and you should see the noise go away
tc3team is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 09:52 AM
  #9088  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Redwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toronto Ontario Canada
Posts: 302
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for responses. I will be looking in to all of your ideas.
Thanks again.
If anythings else, please let me know.


Paul
Redwings is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 11:14 AM
  #9089  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (8)
 
mjderstine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 413
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
check the teeth on the spur gear, they go loud after a few runs usually, they may look a bit "off centre" too as a clue.

Switch to 48 or 64dp and you should see the noise go away
never mind (edit) its on the same page as this one. got my answer. 26-32 and 104
what company makes them?
can i just get an old spur gear/ pinion combo. im running the 19T class races on a pretty tight track, and i have never switched any of my rc to anything but the stock pinions/spurs.

what are the "normal" teeth count for 48 and 64 pitch?

Last edited by mjderstine; 03-19-2008 at 11:58 AM.
mjderstine is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 09:04 PM
  #9090  
HCS
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 13
Default

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me out. I recently got a TA05-IFS and have a question about drive belt tension: How much deflection should the aramid drive belt have? Any advice on a suggested range would be greatly appreciated, thanks
HCS is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.