R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 02-27-2008, 08:26 AM   #8956
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller1990 View Post
I have a TA05R and I have never broke a shock tower on this car they are pretty durable.

The most common parts that break are:
  • suspension arms
  • C-hubs
  • Front Upright

I have never broke a rear upright that would be kind of hard.
Hope this helps!
Seems like the rear uprights don't like it too much when you power slide into the pipes. The hole that the ball stud screws into gets a bit oval and you end up with variable camber.

The rear shock tower also is the rear body mount and those can break when the car does a high speed roll into a wall. For $3.00 it's worth having a spare.

The flange tubes are important because if you lose these, there goes the steering.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:39 AM   #8957
Tech Champion

if anyone needs a good setup for stock 27t indoors let me know, I managed TQ on sunday and 2nd overall, 3rd overall in the championship.

The car felt dialled all day on sorex 24 premounts

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:48 AM   #8958
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinewbie View Post
I'm an FNG to the TAO5R and would like to know what "spare" items I should keep in my bag. My lhs doesn't carry Tamiya parts so any suggestions would be appreciated. I hate getting through one race and being done for the day!
I usually have those parts with me. Except last Sunday when the left rear upright went out. It was fixable by using a couple grub screws in the open holes but still came loose later. I didn't finish the main because the kingpin screw fell out causing the front drive to pop out and wreck the diff joint. I carry spare diff joints now.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:22 AM   #8959
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Seems like the rear uprights don't like it too much when you power slide into the pipes. The hole that the ball stud screws into gets a bit oval and you end up with variable camber.

The rear shock tower also is the rear body mount and those can break when the car does a high speed roll into a wall. For $3.00 it's worth having a spare.

The flange tubes are important because if you lose these, there goes the steering.
Once you get a good setup figured out and become consistent with the car you will tend to not to break much. I just got my car figured out and handling good but trust me I've had my fair share of rolls and slides into the wall but I have been lucky and have not broke that much. Specially with the lightweight suspension it is a lot easier to break. Yeah, it definitely doesn't hurt to have spare parts on you so your not SOL when you break!

Team Holy Rollers
miller1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:30 AM   #8960
Tech Rookie

Default TAO5R FNG

Thanks for all the help, my order is going in today!
Chinewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:52 AM   #8961
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey

Maybe some of you TA-05 drivers can help me. I need to know the pinion and spur sizes you are using for 17.5, 13.5, and 10.5 brushless motors. Some of these motors require low gear ratios to be effective. Brand name would be great also.

Thanks Rodney
TMHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #8962
Tech Elite

Mostly everyone is using a 4.5FDR with the 13.5BL. 88T spur, 44T pinion in 64 pitch. Robinson Racing Products is a good place to start looking.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #8963
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller1990 View Post
Once you get a good setup figured out and become consistent with the car you will tend to not to break much. I just got my car figured out and handling good but trust me I've had my fair share of rolls and slides into the wall but I have been lucky and have not broke that much. Specially with the lightweight suspension it is a lot easier to break. Yeah, it definitely doesn't hurt to have spare parts on you so your not SOL when you break!
Even when you have it figured out, you go off line to pass and into the marbles then just watch your car swap ends. It happens even to the best of us. So I figure, what is a few dollars worth of parts that I may never use to a DNS due to breakage.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #8964
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

72t spur and 33t pinion, 48 pitch-- 4.93 fdr. I used to have a beautiful 69t, but a pebble got in through that slot under the motor mount. 69t is so damn hard to find now, they were popular when the tc3 was big--Al
big al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #8965
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Does anyone know why GT-2 is the only tcs class that has a 1550 gram weight minimum? All the other classes (gt-1, gt-3) are 1500 grams.--Al
big al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #8966
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big al View Post
Does anyone know why GT-2 is the only tcs class that has a 1550 gram weight minimum? All the other classes (gt-1, gt-3) are 1500 grams.--Al
I am guessing it is a type-o since that is not a "New" rule for this class.
Quote:
"New for 2008! All GT-2 cars must meet a minimum weight of 1550 Grams."
I assume it should be 1500 like the others. I don't see why gt3 would be less then gt2... I would email the TCS people and find out if that was a mistake.
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #8967
Tech Apprentice

Default TA05 or TB02?

I am at a dilemma between choosing a TB02 and a TA05. Towerhobbies lists the two chasses as being of the same price range and I'm aware that the former uses shaft while the latter uses belts. Which chassis should I choose given these conditions:

1. I need a chassis that already has ball bearings on all prescribed areas and adjustable front and rear arms.
2. I drive on tarmacadam or asphalt with a few stones littered along the way.
3. I am looking for a chassis that can be as durable as my TT01.

Thanks. Please feel free to add your inputs.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:32 AM   #8968
Tech Master

Default TA05 vs. TB02 and weight issues!

greenovercomer,
TA05 is way better. Why? The technical answer would be "just is"!
Just kidding! The drive train with the centered pully and equal length belts is very efficient and right out of the box and for the money it's the best dang car. You won't regret it! I haven't!

Travis S,
I think Fred made GT-2 hevier because if you run a brushless system and a NMIH batteries, the car is very heavy and since in GT-2 you can't purposely lighten the car, but you can modify where the battery goes as long as it is done in order for fitment. There's no way to bring the weight down. So, I guess to make things as equal as possible it's easier to add weights when running lipo then it is to take weight off when not using Lipo's.
Just my2$
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #8969
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
if anyone needs a good setup for stock 27t indoors let me know, I managed TQ on sunday and 2nd overall, 3rd overall in the championship.

The car felt dialled all day on sorex 24 premounts
TC3Team

I would be interested in your set-up. I need all the help I can get to get my boy's car up to speed.

Thanks Rodney
[email protected]
TMHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #8970
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i run my 05R on unprepared asphalt that is littered with small stones and pebbles, and i have never had any debris get caught in the belts. occasionally i will get a stone in the pinion/spur gear mesh, but pluck them out and you're on your way. a few scratches on the bottom of the chassis is fine, it's a tub so who cares?!?!