R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 11-12-2007, 02:56 AM   #8521
Tech Champion

Fast XXS- Titanium screws would be a good move to loose some weight and keep the car strong, money allowing I hope to do this to my car

I guess the static issue is apparent with the TA05R and Tamiya graphite chassis, I have not heard of issues on the stock 05 chassis or the 3racing chassis. Kinda odd in a way, maybe the 3racing chassis layout prevents the issues and the stock chassis is only plastic so wont generate static

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:03 AM   #8522
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the 3racing chassis is bonded top to bottom by the alloy posts and motor mount, on old buggies where you upgraded to carbon topdeck and chassis but kept the plastic inbetween, you would need a bonding strap from the top to the bottom. The graphite chassis is non-conductive whereas the plastic one is.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:50 AM   #8523
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
I guess the static issue is apparent with the TA05R and Tamiya graphite chassis, I have not heard of issues on the stock 05 chassis or the 3racing chassis. Kinda odd in a way, maybe the 3racing chassis layout prevents the issues and the stock chassis is only plastic so wont generate static
I think the problem is with the stock chassis. Tamiya said an upgrade to the lightweight carbon reinforced tub chassis on the TA05R (which comes with the stock TA05 chassis) would solve the static build up problem because it would dissipate the charge on the aluminum plate.
HI_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:25 AM   #8524
Tech Elite

Yes, I believe the problem part is the aluminium heatsink top plate. Is is the only part unique to the 05R and that is why it was never reported as an issue on basic kit 05 and older upgraded 05.

Cheapest solutions, which won't affect the handling, would appear to me to be to run a static strap, run the plastic top plate which is on a spare sprue in the kit, or even try grinding down and polishing the rear edge of the aluminium plate directly under the belt to stop the belt slap rubbing against it.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:41 AM   #8525
Tech Champion

Glad you guys know where the problem is, glitching is an EVIL (not to mention possibly costly!) word in r/c

Now... I have the rear toe blocks on order...

But I had ahem... redesigned the front ones as I turned in too early not being used to a spool on carpet, oops LOL.

Does anyone have the part numbers for the Tamiya TA05 (standard TA05, not R) blue alloy front toe blocks? thank you please

are they the same items as the rear ones? I havnt measured them up. I think the belts will foul the toe block as the belt cut out will be in the wrong place

Last edited by tc3team; 11-12-2007 at 07:28 AM. Reason: question
Old 11-12-2007, 11:09 AM   #8526
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Here are the blocks that come with the TA05R, front to rear...

One of these in the front:

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=460&id=1675

Two of these for the center positions...where the belts are:

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=460&id=1778

One of these in the rear:

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=460&id=1678
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #8527
Tech Elite

I ran my -R for the first time a few weeks ago. Almost all stock, rubber on asphalt, medium traction, very low humidity. I have Spektrum and brushless, so I never, ever, ever have radio/glitching issues.

Anyways...the thing was friggin' possessed. The first lap was "OH YEAH!"...by the 3-4th lap it was "OH NO!!!!!"

It would spin out badly coming out of every turn, go left when I turned right or take off on its own. Typical glitching deal. It would end (predictably enough) in an impact with something and the car would shut down. It was on...but it wasn't reacting or powering the servo and the ESC was indicating that there was no signal from the receiver. If I turned it off and back on...good as new...for a few more laps and it would repeat. Tried another receiver...same thing. Finally gave up on it for the day.

It had done a similar thing out in front of the house when I was initially setting up the car, but I just figured it was not having a body and running on a relatively dirty street.

Long-ish story short:

No other changes, swapped out the stocker for the graphite:

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=460&id=5950

Problem solved...totally...no problems whatsoever. No other changes. It didn't have any scrape or rub marks on the brace, but I had the belts pretty loose, so I'm sure it was rubbing at some point. Honestly, I didn't run it more than maybe 10 minutes total, since it was so evil...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI_808 View Post
I think the problem is with the stock chassis. Tamiya said an upgrade to the lightweight carbon reinforced tub chassis on the TA05R (which comes with the stock TA05 chassis) would solve the static build up problem because it would dissipate the charge on the aluminum plate.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #8528
Tech Champion

Thanks TJ, but doesnt the ta05R use the lightweight suspension and different wishbones? Im only guessing though

Im using stock ta05 parts, on a 3racing graphite chassis.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #8529
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Glad you guys know where the problem is, glitching is an EVIL (not to mention possibly costly!) word in r/c

Now... I have the rear toe blocks on order...

But I had ahem... redesigned the front ones as I turned in too early not being used to a spool on carpet, oops LOL.

Does anyone have the part numbers for the Tamiya TA05 (standard TA05, not R) blue alloy front toe blocks? thank you please

are they the same items as the rear ones? I havnt measured them up. I think the belts will foul the toe block as the belt cut out will be in the wrong place

Hi tc3team,

there are a lot of Tamiya blocks, that you combine. Each combination gives you another toe in/out.
Here you can find all of the Tamiya blocks and the parts number.
http://shopping.rcmodel.hk/advanced_...ort=3a&&page=1
I have an Excel file which include each combination of the blocks. If you send me your e-mail adress in PM, I will send you the file.
The difference between the normal and X.. blocks is the width.
bviktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:10 PM   #8530
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks TJ, but doesnt the ta05R use the lightweight suspension and different wishbones? Im only guessing though

Im using stock ta05 parts, on a 3racing graphite chassis.
Yep, it has lightweight suspension. The blocks are the same width though. "A" is the standard width for all the standard Tamiya chassis. "D" is a really common rear block. The "1" means that the block is 1mm taller...that's a roll center thing as far as I know...and maybe to clear the lip on the tub.

IOW, the standard TA05 would use the same blocks, even with the standard suspension.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #8531
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
It would spin out badly coming out of every turn, go left when I turned right or take off on its own. Typical glitching deal. It would end (predictably enough) in an impact with something and the car would shut down. It was on...but it wasn't reacting or powering the servo and the ESC was indicating that there was no signal from the receiver. If I turned it off and back on...good as new...for a few more laps and it would repeat. Tried another receiver...same thing. Finally gave up on it for the day.
WOW! Thats exactly exactly exactly what happened to me when I ran on carpet with the stock chassis! Literally word for word as you described it. I would run fine for 3-4 laps then WHAM! it would glitch and the steering servo would lock up in one position and ocasionally the ESC would crap out too (not thermal either). I would turn it off and then back on instantly, and it was back to normal again. It would never do it on asphalt though, maybe because the rubber tires do not charge up like they do on the carpet. I got the graphite tub and problem solved. no jumper wire needed. now i just need to find a Ti screw kit.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:53 PM   #8532
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkitty2002 View Post
WOW! Thats exactly exactly exactly what happened to me when I ran on carpet with the stock chassis! Literally word for word as you described it. I would run fine for 3-4 laps then WHAM! it would glitch and the steering servo would lock up in one position and ocasionally the ESC would crap out too (not thermal either). I would turn it off and then back on instantly, and it was back to normal again. It would never do it on asphalt though, maybe because the rubber tires do not charge up like they do on the carpet. I got the graphite tub and problem solved. no jumper wire needed. now i just need to find a Ti screw kit.
I was looking on the Spektrum site and they were talking about how an impact causes a discharge and essentially shuts down the reciever. I don't know if you have Spektrum or not, but it was like the deal the carpet guys were seeing with the original Spektrums...mine are all original and not updated.

It didn't take much of a hit though. When it messed up here at the house, it was freaking out a little and I brought it back to me and I tapped my own foot and it shut down. At the track, it ran over a corner dot and shut down...not a big hit...just a hit.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:25 AM   #8533
Tech Champion

Thanks guys, youve been really, really helpful on this

Old 11-13-2007, 09:56 AM   #8534
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Is a front one-way and a center one way good hop ups for the TAO5R? Should they be one of the first hop-ups i should look at?
Would these work hand in hand? or just add 1 or the other?
I currently added a front one way... have a centre one way, but havent installed it as yet... will it assist?

or should i test the waters as is?

racing car for the 1st time this weekend...
FREEKSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:18 AM   #8535
Tech Apprentice

Try the car how it is, but i run a front and a center one-way in my TA05 and i find it better to drive.

Liam