R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 10-22-2007, 12:42 AM   #8446
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkitty2002 View Post
i just tested out my car with the CF chassis, center one-way unit, rebuilt diffs and shocks, and a new 19t motor. i went from the stock shock oil (40wt?) to 30wt hoping to get a more plush ride, but i am getting the opposite effect. the car feels "jittery" whenever it gets up to higher speeds, and especially when i turn. maybe my diffs are still too tight, cause it is really not looking setup well. maybe it's just because i am running it on an unprepared (rough) asphalt neighborhood road, with really crappy HPI X-pattern treads (no bite at all). any suggestions as how to smooth it out? maybe go to a softer spring? i am using the stock white (yellow) springs.
30W oil makes your suspension move more quickly. Try going back to 40W to slow down the weight transfer of your car.
HI_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:21 AM   #8447
Tech Champion

I have some HPI Xtread tyres and they are not very grippy. I would try some sorex28 or softer and see if the grip gets better, tyres are the first thing to look at imho.

hth

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:48 AM   #8448
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkitty2002 View Post
i just tested out my car with the CF chassis, center one-way unit, rebuilt diffs and shocks, and a new 19t motor. i went from the stock shock oil (40wt?) to 30wt hoping to get a more plush ride, but i am getting the opposite effect. the car feels "jittery" whenever it gets up to higher speeds, and especially when i turn. maybe my diffs are still too tight, cause it is really not looking setup well. maybe it's just because i am running it on an unprepared (rough) asphalt neighborhood road, with really crappy HPI X-pattern treads (no bite at all). any suggestions as how to smooth it out? maybe go to a softer spring? i am using the stock white (yellow) springs.
If the car is jittery at high speeds I would consider what rear toe in you are running. The box settings are for stock, now you have a 19t your top speed is higher. Rear toe-in has the biggest affect on straight line stability.
The oil weight is only going to affect the car during weight transfer (ie cornering and accelerating/decelerating) and bumps/dips in road.
When it comes to bumps/dips in pavement consider also the number of holes in the piston. Too light a oil with a heavy spring = insufficient dampening. I would consider going back up in oil weight and increasing number of piston holes.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:35 AM   #8449
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
If the car is jittery at high speeds I would consider what rear toe in you are running. The box settings are for stock, now you have a 19t your top speed is higher. Rear toe-in has the biggest affect on straight line stability.
The oil weight is only going to affect the car during weight transfer (ie cornering and accelerating/decelerating) and bumps/dips in road.
When it comes to bumps/dips in pavement consider also the number of holes in the piston. Too light a oil with a heavy spring = insufficient dampening. I would consider going back up in oil weight and increasing number of piston holes.
i just remembered i still have the droop set for carpet. most likely if i increase the droop by 2-3mm it should help out.
Quote:
I have some HPI Xtread tyres and they are not very grippy. I would try some sorex28 or softer and see if the grip gets better, tyres are the first thing to look at imho.
i was just doing a little testing/bashing on my neighborhood street, not trying to do much precise setup for racing. i know better tires would help it hook up better, but that will not help the jitteryness.
Quote:
CF chassis makes the car a lot stiff. you should try softer springs to give the car roll that it needs. And when you feel comfortable with set-up, you'll see that you drive a more predictable car with CF chassis.
if i could only find some softer springs!
Old 10-22-2007, 09:26 AM   #8450
Tech Champion

Sorry I didnt read your post attentively enough, I would also make sure you have neutral front toe as well, as this can give very responsive initial steering (I had some toe in, but its too aggressive and scrubs tyres very easily!)

hth

Old 10-22-2007, 10:02 AM   #8451
Tech Elite

Quote:
Sorry I didnt read your post attentively enough, I would also make sure you have neutral front toe as well, as this can give very responsive initial steering (I had some toe in, but its too aggressive and scrubs tyres very easily!)
actually, the car feels as if it wants to wander at higher speeds, so maybe i need to zero in the front toe.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:16 AM   #8452
Tech Champion

Yes, mine does this too as initially I had some rubbish tyres on the car and wanted some stability, but as I put newer tyres on it really scrubbed the fronts up quick, I am going to have neutral toe from now.

You will still get some good steering from the car even with it zero'd out

Old 10-22-2007, 11:29 AM   #8453
Tech Elite

Quote:
You will still get some good steering from the car even with it zero'd out
ya, it's pretty sensitive as it is right now. i have to turn it down to 65% dual rate on carpet.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #8454
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

all spare parts special off now !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:52 PM   #8455
Tech Elite

i increased the droop by about 2mm (eyeballing it) and that solved all my problems. i knew it was because the droop was still set for carpet ride height, so when i went to readjust the ride height with the thinner oil, i forgot to increase the droop to make up for the rough surface.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:50 AM   #8456
Tech Champion

Glad you sorted it, the ta05 has bags of steering, and when you add a stiffer chassis the car transitions L/R even better

Old 10-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #8457
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Anyone got a good setup for rubber tire carpet? Will be running TA05R with Penguin chassis and 10.5 brushless. What tires work best on carpet? What body does everyone prefer?
Old 10-23-2007, 05:07 PM   #8458
Tech Elite

Quote:
Anyone got a good setup for rubber tire carpet? Will be running TA05R with Penguin chassis and 10.5 brushless. What tires work best on carpet? What body does everyone prefer?
RP30s or CS27s work well all around on carpet. wipe them with some WD-40 about 10 minutes before you run and that will give you some good traction. DNA2 is the best carpet body.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:21 PM   #8459
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
Hey Ozzie -

I run my TA05-R Box stock... except I used 60wt front shock oil, 22lb front spring and 17lb rear.

Running CS-27/ carpet - works great!

Last edited by tbeardmore; 10-24-2007 at 07:24 AM.
tbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:11 AM   #8460
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Thanks for the info guys. This will be my first time running a car rubber tire carpet. The car is great on asphalt. Better that any car I have owned. Looks like I will pick up a DNA2 body and get some CS27 tires.