R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 08-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #8221
Tech Elite

In terms of setup, I don't feel the TA05 needs to go any softer than the yellow Tamiya springs (this is assuming you have an R or run the TRF shocks).

My favoured asphalt setup right now is basically kit 05R but without the bars and with the blue springs all round. #450 oil. Dial in plenty of droop and run enough ride height to clear the bumps.

I've found the car to be much more stable running the blue spring or stiffer, with no anti-roll bars (I just don't like the bars, take away grip and unsettle the car on bumps, OK if you run on a super-smooth high grip track but for 90% of us that is not how it is).
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:25 PM   #8222
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I far FAR prefer my 05 without anti-roll bars, they deaden the car, I just run it more damped and sprung to control it, and it works just fine.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:53 AM   #8223
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst View Post
I far FAR prefer my 05 without anti-roll bars, they deaden the car, I just run it more damped and sprung to control it, and it works just fine.
X2.

Ive never felt the need to take them out the packet since owning the car, I have raced on carpet and currently on smooth tarmac.

Let the tyres and suspension do their work on this car, outdoors I am using the TRF's with yellow springs F+R 45wt oil F+R, 3 hole pistons and 1 degree of front toe in. The car feels responsive, but safe.

I have the front shocks "angled" more than the rear, running them at equal positions on the towers can cause handling issues sometimes. With exception of the shock tower mounting, try to keep the front and rear of the car as balanced as possible, as big differences in front and rear components (springs and oil) is only going to get you head scratching when the car doesnt hook up well.

Maybe I have been lucky and not raced at tracks where the arb's are needed, but my overall conclusion is that the car works better without them wherever you race.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #8224
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
exactly how i feel as well. i've run on great carpet and bumpy parking lot tracks, and the car feels so numb with the bars on. when i would make an input on the car, i would not feel it with the bars on. this car just doesn't need them like other cars do.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:33 AM   #8225
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default steering problem

hi guys,

y does my ta05 always understeer. i gotta slow down the car alot and turn a lot before the car can steer past the corners.

are there any hopups to help steering? is the high torque sevo saver good?

thnx alot
hottapole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:53 AM   #8226
Tech Elite

Assuming the car has been built right it shouldn't understeer any more than other cars on the track.

Sounds like it is more of a tyres or driving style issue, or something is set up wrong on the car.

The High torque servo saver will be an improvement on the basic kit part but I doubt it will do much to solve understeer unless your kit saver has become especially worn or damaged.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:10 AM   #8227
Tech Champion

As sosidge said, sounds like the tyres. You might want to try a spool instead of a diff on the front too if you like to experiment, it will give a lot of power on steering

Go for tyres first though, and see what everyone else is using

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:28 AM   #8228
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Check your tyres first, as the TA05 is more likely to oversteer than understeer, chances are you are scrubbing the front tyres so got the front way to hard.

Stock setup on a kit car should drive neutral with a little off-power oversteer.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:48 AM   #8229
Tech Regular

fill all shocks with 40 wt.
start with yellow springs and yellow sway bars
4.5mm ground clearance
check droop. to much front droop will cause oversteer out of the corner

go to blue sway bar in the rear.

or blue spring in the rear.

after you stabelize your suspension set up. you can try a nsx body. this body should give you steering. and traction.

good luck.
wn
nagatahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #8230
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagatahawk View Post
fill all shocks with 40 wt.
start with yellow springs and yellow sway bars
4.5mm ground clearance
check droop. to much front droop will cause oversteer out of the corner

go to blue sway bar in the rear.

or blue spring in the rear.

after you stabelize your suspension set up. you can try a nsx body. this body should give you steering. and traction.

good luck.
wn
Hmmmm, from my experience, too much front droop usually means under steer exiting for me.
jinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:59 AM   #8231
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to larlee Send a message via Yahoo to larlee
Default TA05R vs TA05

Hi,
I am trying to find out what is the difference between the 2 kit.
I try to locate the manual for TA05R but unable to do so.
Who someone please advice what are the hop ups given with TA05R?
And also who is cost more to equip a TA05 to a TA05R (example)
larlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:07 AM   #8232
Tech Elite

I think the Tamiya America website lists the number of different parts.

At the end of the day it is A LOT. It would cost a huge amount to upgrade a normal TA05 to R spec, a lot more than the relatively small difference in price between the two kits.

TA05R is virtually a completely different car to a basic TA05. Shocks, suspension, most of the drivetrain, most of the hardware is different, even the plastics are different. About the only parts that are identical are the tub chassis and bumper.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #8233
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to larlee Send a message via Yahoo to larlee

The problem is Tamiya website doesn't state parts for TA05R so I can't compare it. I like the TA05R is mainly due to the hop ups that is burdened with it. I know it still needs some upgrades thou but I feel it is cheaper than the TA05 kit. I will look around and check.
Thanks.
larlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #8234
Tech Apprentice

It seems to me the parts for all TA05's are the same all around, it's just the R version comes with Carbon Reinforced plastics n the box. (The IFS just has a different front bulkhead and front stiffener, but is missing the CR parts)

The R comes with lots of bling, which is nice, but not really race necessary.
The main hop ups needed for racing are the Carbon Fiber ones, I think.

Other then that the R is a great buy. The Shocks alone are worth about $70, never mind the other "in the box" hop ups.
AllShowNoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #8235
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllShowNoGo View Post
It seems to me the parts for all TA05's are the same all around, it's just the R version comes with Carbon Reinforced plastics n the box. (The IFS just has a different front bulkhead and front stiffener, but is missing the CR parts)

The R comes with lots of bling, which is nice, but not really race necessary.
The main hop ups needed for racing are the Carbon Fiber ones, I think.

Other then that the R is a great buy. The Shocks alone are worth about $70, never mind the other "in the box" hop ups.
It also comes with the lightweight suspension pieces, sway bars, locking wheel hexes, and aramid belts (in terms of functional stuff). Oh yeah, a static prone servo killing tub too.

It's a very good value. I think with all the parts it comes with it would come out at over $400.

tom
tsyrc is offline   Reply With Quote