Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

TA05MS was release in 7 July
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:22 AM   #7802
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
The only problem is....using SPOOL. Now, it is to my understand that, a stock TA05R just cannot use the spool without changing 2 things (1 of the 2, your choice)

(1) shorter CVD........or
(2) wider pivot blocks @ front

Both will give the front track width wider, in order to create more space between the end bone and the spool's outdirve....that was my problem last week when I was running 4.5 with spool...
I have been running a spool with the stock 48mm axles. I may have 1 letter wider toe block up front but that's only 0.5mm difference. I have plenty of slack. I know that I'm not using the little red pads in the drive cup though. That gives you at least 3mm of room.

I think you have too much power. 4.5 Brushless is extreme for this drivetrain IMO.
Double Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #7803
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Quattro View Post
I think you have too much power. 4.5 Brushless is extreme for this drivetrain IMO.
That's kind of true but the outdoor track we race at is ridiculous. The curbs are not up in the is picture but it's bigger then the Tamiya track and will be just as nice once the permanent curbs are up. Even a 4.5R starts to feel slow at such a big track. I've run a 19T before and it feels like a mabuchi at this place and is like watching paint dry.

Hmmm TCS Nats 2008 should come here and Scotty is only 1.5hrs away LOL
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #7804
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Wow, thats a nice looking track.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #7805
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Now I will make sure I have my camera battery charged next time. I really wish I did take the video of the 3 runs of my 4.5 powered Ta05R @ that track. To be honest, 4.5 is probably the "Right' motor for that track...I don't know about 3.5 and 7700, but I don't think anything faster then 4.5 will hurt..

19T is slow...the 3 runs of the R with 4.5. I did average high 18s per lap...my "no compression left" .12 Nitro TC did average low 19s lapper...the fast Nitro TC guy did average low 17s lapper (with OS speed engine and much newer TC then mine..)

If not my TA05R was way way understeering (I was running some old nitro foams) because of the front spool binding problem that I had...I am sure it I am running par with the fast Nitro TC = low 17s...

The fastest lap time @ that track so far is by the 1/8th on road...high 16s.

I was running along with several nitro TC on that 200' straight...the 4.5 is only lacking the speed from the 2-speed on the nitro car...but once the car coming to the corner/infield...nitro car are not even close to the TA05R.

I gave up the SPOOL on the TA05R, I will try 1-way, center 1-way and/or the stock ball diff from now on....don't feel like spending money to buy more blocks, bridge, and CVD bones just to get the spool work...

I agree....the R does not feel "RIGID" after 20+ mins run with 4.5 and lipo...but I don't see ANY PART is wearing down, not the blue belt, not the pulley, not even the 108 spur.........just don't FEEL solid compare to the carbon fiber chassis cars.

And yes, that track is UN REAL.......I cannot believe we Illinois ppl has a WORLD CLASS LEVEL track like that. And personally, I don't need to see those concrete curb at all....those corner dots will launch any RC car like 1-2 feet high on the air depends on the speed....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #7806
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Now I will make sure I have my camera battery charged next time. I really wish I did take the video of the 3 runs of my 4.5 powered Ta05R @ that track. To be honest, 4.5 is probably the "Right' motor for that track...I don't know about 3.5 and 7700, but I don't think anything faster then 4.5 will hurt..

19T is slow...the 3 runs of the R with 4.5. I did average high 18s per lap...my "no compression left" .12 Nitro TC did average low 19s lapper...the fast Nitro TC guy did average low 17s lapper (with OS speed engine and much newer TC then mine..)

If not my TA05R was way way understeering (I was running some old nitro foams) because of the front spool binding problem that I had...I am sure it I am running par with the fast Nitro TC = low 17s...

The fastest lap time @ that track so far is by the 1/8th on road...high 16s.

I was running along with several nitro TC on that 200' straight...the 4.5 is only lacking the speed from the 2-speed on the nitro car...but once the car coming to the corner/infield...nitro car are not even close to the TA05R.

I gave up the SPOOL on the TA05R, I will try 1-way, center 1-way and/or the stock ball diff from now on....don't feel like spending money to buy more blocks, bridge, and CVD bones just to get the spool work...

I agree....the R does not feel "RIGID" after 20+ mins run with 4.5 and lipo...but I don't see ANY PART is wearing down, not the blue belt, not the pulley, not even the 108 spur.........just don't FEEL solid compare to the carbon fiber chassis cars.

And yes, that track is UN REAL.......I cannot believe we Illinois ppl has a WORLD CLASS LEVEL track like that. And personally, I don't need to see those concrete curb at all....those corner dots will launch any RC car like 1-2 feet high on the air depends on the speed....
sounds like your car has a lot of flex? try the carbon tub. *waits for "the carbon chassis is tweaked" demons to come out*

i know after i went from the plastic tub to the graphite tub, the car was stiffer, and more responsive. drawbacks, its tweaked and expensive to replace when compared to the plastic tub. i did adjust my set up to "accomodate" the tweaked tub.

PS: we have Tamiya USA. too bad real estate is outrageous in Southern California, and we'll be losing the best track we have to offer.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #7807
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
sounds like your car has a lot of flex? try the carbon tub. *waits for "the carbon chassis is tweaked" demons to come out*

i know after i went from the plastic tub to the graphite tub, the car was stiffer, and more responsive. drawbacks, its tweaked and expensive to replace when compared to the plastic tub. i did adjust my set up to "accomodate" the tweaked tub.

PS: we have Tamiya USA. too bad real estate is outrageous in Southern California, and we'll be losing the best track we have to offer.
Tweak...probably the last thing I would care, on a track like ours...I don't think I can tell my car was Tweaked..?
I posted the problem of my car understeer problem on the last couple pages...and I dropped the front ball diff and use a center 1-way and hope it will solve my "front vibration" problem.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:03 PM   #7808
Tech Regular

Default STATIC

I realize that this is probably a dead issue. but I found this on the tamiya website:

Notice When Using TA05-R

A running R/C car constantly charges and discharges static electricity caused by friction from pulley and belts/gears, etc.

The amount of static electricity that is built up changes according to conditions such as temperature, humidity, driving environment, part material, and chassis layout. Some R/C cars may experience mechanical trouble or out-of-control driving due to sudden discharge of static electricity.

We have discovered that the component layout of the TA05-R Chassis Kit (ITEM 49418) makes it relatively vulnerable to the scenario described above, if used with a metal-geared servo under certain conditions.

As a preventive measure, use of the TA05 Lightweight Carbon Lower Deck (ITEM 53893) is recommended. This carbon and fiberglass deck effectively dissipates static electricity generated during R/C car operation

I have never noticed sparks on my car.
nagatahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:06 PM   #7809
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Tweak...probably the last thing I would care, on a track like ours...I don't think I can tell my car was Tweaked..?
I posted the problem of my car understeer problem on the last couple pages...and I dropped the front ball diff and use a center 1-way and hope it will solve my "front vibration" problem.
yah.. there's no give with that metal outdrive TA05 Spool. you could use the MRE delrin outdrives, but again, it would require some slight modifications.

also, i dont get as much vibration since i use 46mm universals up front with A/A blocks.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:02 AM   #7810
Tech Elite

That's a fantastic looking track above. Shame that the designers didn't include a slightly smaller alternative route and some more technical sections to suit electric racing in the plan.

As far as understeer goes, your old Nitro foams might have a lot to do with it. Optimise the tyre setup and I think you will be a lot faster.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:43 AM   #7811
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking A Steering Story!

Solara,
I also have a 4.5 brushless in my TA05, and it handles the power amazingly well. We even ran it in a few Enduro's out her in Aliso and trust me when I say it had a lot of steering by the 4th hour!
After realizing what you said about understeering. I'm like are you kidding, anybody who owns a TA05 will tell you that these cars have way too much steering. I've ran it with LT weight suspension and the stock arms and both have a ton of steering. The design of the throw on the steering is very extreme to the point that it binds up the servo arm from overtraveling.
I remembered when the 05's first came out that many were complaining that the car had understeering issues and that the steering arms won't turn full throw and that's when it hit me, many people when the kit first came out had assembled the steering arm backwards that was very common to set it up wrong. This might be your understeering issue. Believe me I was ready to get rid of my 05 because it just had too much steering for my driving style until I discovered endpoints and dual rate on my controller. Now I love my 05 because I can fine tune it to my driving style.
Sorry for the long explaination, I guess I had a story I wanted to tell.
Just my 2$
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:31 AM   #7812
Tech Apprentice

Solara,

Check the hole position of the ball nut on your car. I had the same problem with a wide turning radius as well. It was pointed out to me by another TA05 racer that the ball nut should be in the first set of holes(front), not the second (back), on the knuckle. This makes a huge difference.
AllShowNoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:13 AM   #7813
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSI123 View Post
I have a ? ,
Can you balance a TA-05R between left and right side with weights and still keep it at 1525 grams (with standard body, rubber tyres,mtr esc etc.. )
even with ib4200 6 cell pack which weigh in at 440grams.

as looking at the chassis design the batt sits out from centre of chassis alot compared to alot of the new cars.

like is it a light car to start with, so as can put weights on mtr side to balance weight of car?
I got mine pretty close to L/R balance. I don't know the exact weight of the ballast I added but it wasn't too bad. I attached it via the transponder holder that came with the kit (which also makes a nice key chain)
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-ta05r-balanced-01.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-ta05r-balanced-02.jpg  
Double Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:00 AM   #7814
Tech Champion

Could anyone tell me the rate of the other Tamiya ta05 springs please? (and lb rating if possible) These are the ones I know about:

53631 Yellow Medium Springs
53632 Blue Hard Springs

Also, where do the kit springs fall into the chart? Just looking at the standard ones for now, maybe there are further precise options with the milky coloured ones?

Thanks

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:21 AM   #7815
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

try www.thard.co.uk
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote