R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2007, 07:29 PM   #7411
Regional Moderator
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At my computer, duh...
Posts: 9,033
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperEk4
Do u guys race or play BL on Ta05? I m running mamba max 7700 on my ta05r stripped 2 front uprights & 2 bearings in one practice session. In order to run mamba max properly I have to change to kawada 112 spur gear & 22t pinion. I set my TX to 60% EPA.

Its just too fast. I m practicing to race mod class, but seems that most of the guys use 415. Any experts out there willing to share?

I do not want to try aftermath chassis as I may race TAC. I ordered tech racing upper deck to avoid chassis warp.

Btw I m running front spool in my Ta05r & rear ball diff.
Both I and Core Creations race BL with our TA05. But its sensible BL racing. We run 13.5, 10.5, and 5800 at most!

We've seen plenty of people go over the top with the power of BL and end up with nothing but stripped gears, broken belts, and broken parts. If your trying to practice for mod racing, then the 415 or any add ons aren't your answer. The answer is a more reasonable motor. I don't know how Mamba's 7700 compares to novaks series of motors, but I wouldn't go anything stronger than a Novak 5.5 or whatever is comparible in the Mamba line, without first doing some serious drivetrain reinforcing. Like alloy outdrive, high quality spurs and pinions, etc...

Remember that just because we can go that fast doesn't mean we should.
__________________
TLR 22...Tamiya F104...
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:21 PM   #7412
Tech Elite
 
dodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the archipelago
Posts: 3,095
Send a message via Yahoo to dodo
Default

if you want to win a race, faster motor is not necessarily the solution.
dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #7413
Tech Master
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,633
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking 60% EPA, not good for BL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperEk4
Do u guys race or play BL on Ta05? I m running mamba max 7700 on my ta05r stripped 2 front uprights & 2 bearings in one practice session. In order to run mamba max properly I have to change to kawada 112 spur gear & 22t pinion. I set my TX to 60% EPA.

Its just too fast. I m practicing to race mod class, but seems that most of the guys use 415. Any experts out there willing to share?

I do not want to try aftermath chassis as I may race TAC. I ordered tech racing upper deck to avoid chassis warp.

Btw I m running front spool in my Ta05r & rear ball diff.
If you go to the Novak brushless thread they say not to turn down your transmitter to slow the car down. The voltage has to go somewhere and it sends it to the heat sink. This causes overheating problems. So I would keep a close eye on the temp after running it at 60%.
They say the best thing is to learn to squeeeeeeze the trigger, not pull it!
Just my 2$
__________________
Tamiya Track Local. 10,000 Watts of power! ($5 donations for gas appreciated)
Proud Father of GT-1 Past Champion!"Hey, I got to go to Japan too!
FF03,TA-05V2 ,EVO-6,TA-07,TRF419W,EXOTEK-6
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #7414
Tech Regular
 
HI_808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 359
Default

I like the 13.5 in my TA05. I run on small parking lot tracks and find that the Novak provides noticeably more power than your average 27 turn brushed motor. When a lot of my friends decided to make the jump to brushless, they went with Novak 4.5Rs. I am sure they regret it now as many of them are moving to the 10.5 or 13.5 seeking faster lap times due to more controllability around corners.

I also have a 5.5R Novak motor and it runs pretty well in the TA05, but I don't see a need for that power most of the time. I run a one-way with my 13.5, but I set up my TA05 with two diffs and the belt tensioner one click tighter than stock for the 5.5R. Maybe with that Mamba setup on your TA05 diffs will allow some play more so than a spool and be more forgiving on your front suspension parts?
HI_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:44 AM   #7415
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,865
Default

Fundamentally, the Mamba Max 7700 is too fast for any racing application. It's only for the top-speed run show-offs.

Pick up one of the 5700 motors and you should be much closer to a usable race car.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:41 AM   #7416
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 454
Default

Tamiya New Release:

http://google.com/translate?u=http%3...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

I wonder if you can use the 18T center pulley and the 37T Ball Diff pulley on the TA05.

Note they did not use the words "isometric belt" for TA05MS.
trf_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:02 AM   #7417
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 19
Default

hey guys,
what would be the best suitable cheap good quality brushless motor thats not too fast that you cant control but fast enough to impress and have fun!
andy147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:18 AM   #7418
Tech Fanatic
 
Aluma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edinburg TX
Posts: 835
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

another question... are the front sway bar endlinks supposed to touch the universal? Should the links be straight up or leaned back? Usually the instructions say to move the ball end into the swaybar until about 2mm stick out. This manual says nothing. Same with the rear links... I set them vertical by moving the ball end out as far as possible without falling off the bar.
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:33 AM   #7419
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluma
another question... are the front sway bar endlinks supposed to touch the universal? Should the links be straight up or leaned back? Usually the instructions say to move the ball end into the swaybar until about 2mm stick out. This manual says nothing. Same with the rear links... I set them vertical by moving the ball end out as far as possible without falling off the bar.
No, keep them clear of the driveshafts. I noticed the same thing with the TA05-R build. Angle doesn't matter much when you are talking about an offset of 1mm, so long as they don't bind.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:37 AM   #7420
Tech Adept
 
OscarF1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampal
in other hand, how much your chassis weight with 5 cell?? close to 1400?? Im strugling to reach 1400gr, but seems quite a challenge with aluminium bulkheads....

cheers,
al
Weight becomes an issue ,
now it is 1525 gr with 6 cell ( Intellect WC )
this is the epoxy glass version.( incl transponder stabilizers and slick tires )
And all the schrews are inox.
OscarF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:53 AM   #7421
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,665
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy147
hey guys,
what would be the best suitable cheap good quality brushless motor thats not too fast that you cant control but fast enough to impress and have fun!
I would run this... $179.99

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRST7&P=7


===

I personally will be using a Novak 4.5R system in my TA05R. Just like any other hot wind brushed motor you just have to take it easy on the throttle. I never dial out any throttle on my transmitter.

On a large open track the 4.5R is perfect. If you run on a smaller outdoor course it might be overkill.
__________________
Serpent Racing * Speed Passion * Fantom Racing * Windy City Raceway

Last edited by Nexus; 05-02-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #7422
Tech Lord
 
SuperEk4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 10,333
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI_808
I like the 13.5 in my TA05. I run on small parking lot tracks and find that the Novak provides noticeably more power than your average 27 turn brushed motor. When a lot of my friends decided to make the jump to brushless, they went with Novak 4.5Rs. I am sure they regret it now as many of them are moving to the 10.5 or 13.5 seeking faster lap times due to more controllability around corners.

I also have a 5.5R Novak motor and it runs pretty well in the TA05, but I don't see a need for that power most of the time. I run a one-way with my 13.5, but I set up my TA05 with two diffs and the belt tensioner one click tighter than stock for the 5.5R. Maybe with that Mamba setup on your TA05 diffs will allow some play more so than a spool and be more forgiving on your front suspension parts?
Do u mean diff is better than spool? I tried diff its harder to drive, spool is better. btw I read 7700 is like a 4T motor, I have to lower the EPA & gear ratio. Wat u suggest?
__________________
Hobbywing-Acorn Racing-ManiaRC-UpgradeRC-Hong nor-Rc monster-Blackbeard-Rc-MoosDesign-SweepRacing-Boca bearings-Tresrey USA-Velociti raceware-Tekno Rc-Team J-JPL Models-SNR Graphite (RETIRED)
SuperEk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:48 AM   #7423
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,665
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Just finishing my 05R and saw this in the manual...



You use a buttonhead screw to mount the servo from the bottom??!!
__________________
Serpent Racing * Speed Passion * Fantom Racing * Windy City Raceway
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:08 AM   #7424
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus
Just finishing my 05R and saw this in the manual...



You use a buttonhead screw to mount the servo from the bottom??!!
It's a special low profile head. Quite why they didn't make the molding for a conventional countersunk screw I don't know...
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #7425
Tech Addict
 
Tsquare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 618
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trf_racer
Tamiya New Release:

http://google.com/translate?u=http%3...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

I wonder if you can use the 18T center pulley and the 37T Ball Diff pulley on the TA05.

Note they did not use the words "isometric belt" for TA05MS.
Not only did they not mention isometric belts, but the translation actually said "almost center" when referring to motor position. This car is starting to sound more like a cross between a TRF415 and a TA05 - maybe this is going to be the TRF415 replacement?
Tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Tamiya TA05-R (TA05) TCS Legal limbohz R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 06-05-2008 08:58 PM
New Tamiya TA05 R touring car/motor/esc! Frost99999 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 08-07-2007 12:24 PM
FWD touring car/sedan hellbilly R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 6 01-12-2007 06:22 PM
Tamiya TA05 full race sedan, Tons of Hop Ups lbckevin R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 13 08-29-2006 03:05 PM
want to buy a touring/sedan car traxxasracer Minnesota and North/South Dakota Racing 7 09-21-2004 06:36 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:30 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net