R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2007, 03:26 PM   #7036
Super Moderator
 
Grizzbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sand Springs, OK
Posts: 3,063
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctouringracer
Just wanted to take a minute and thank everyone for their assistance and advise.... I've been reading this thread since it started and was personally convinced to purchase a TA05 and have been impressed with this vehicle since receiving it. I will be giving it through shake down Saturday at Primetime Raceway, preparing it for battle at the TCS GT2 war in Memphis , hope to meet some fellow forum members there!
Oh you will, I'm definitely gonna be there, in both GT2 & GT1(also have a 415 MSX now)....
__________________
Bob Seay
Tamiya TRF417, TA05v.2, TRF211XM, M-05ver.2R, XRAY X12, Associated B5m Factory Lite

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #7037
Tech Adept
 
Double Quattro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 120
Default TA05R Build

OK, I'm about 80% complete with my TA05R and so far I am thoroughly impressed! My last Tamiya TC was the TA02 racing chassis edition so this kit is lightyears more advanced in performance capabilities and manufacturing quality! A few questions:


*** Anyone know why the LW Blue 48mm shafts were included only for the rear axles? Is it because Tamiya figures the aluminum driveshaft isn't durable enough for front axle duty?

*** Why is there a 46mm drive shaft kit? Is this length intended for the standard "non-reversible" suspension arms?

I need to buy a spare set of axles for "unforeseen circumstances" should I stick with the regular 48 black shafts or can I use the LW blue all around and be safe that I won't bend the fronts first time I cut a board too close?


*** What's your opinion on the sway bars? It seems that, unless they are super stiff, they will have minimal effect on the set-up especially if your shock absorbers have stiff springs and heavy oil.

*** While we are on the subject, what does everyone use for springs/oil weight/piston holes? Letís assume this is for a medium tight parking lot course.

Thanks for all the advice. THIS CAR ROCKS!!!!
Double Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:35 PM   #7038
Tech Lord
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,919
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Quattro
OK, I'm about 80% complete with my TA05R and so far I am thoroughly impressed! My last Tamiya TC was the TA02 racing chassis edition so this kit is lightyears more advanced in performance capabilities and manufacturing quality! A few questions:


*** Anyone know why the LW Blue 48mm shafts were included only for the rear axles? Is it because Tamiya figures the aluminum driveshaft isn't durable enough for front axle duty?

*** Why is there a 46mm drive shaft kit? Is this length intended for the standard "non-reversible" suspension arms?

I need to buy a spare set of axles for "unforeseen circumstances" should I stick with the regular 48 black shafts or can I use the LW blue all around and be safe that I won't bend the fronts first time I cut a board too close?


*** What's your opinion on the sway bars? It seems that, unless they are super stiff, they will have minimal effect on the set-up especially if your shock absorbers have stiff springs and heavy oil.

*** While we are on the subject, what does everyone use for springs/oil weight/piston holes? Letís assume this is for a medium tight parking lot course.

Thanks for all the advice. THIS CAR ROCKS!!!!
48mm blue alum. is only for the rear because it doesnt take the abuse from the front. using a one-way or a spool will cause a lot of wear on your front shaft/axles. stick with steel up front for longer durability and strength.

46mm is intended for the old suspension and or if you want to use the "X" series blocks that narrows the overall stance of your car. (see previous pages on an explanation for the "X" series blocks.

if you want a spare set of dog bones/axles. build one set for the front (all steel) and one set for the rear (alum. dog bones with steel axles)

sway bars are a personal set up preference. some people use it. some people dont.

oil/piston set up...best starting point for a tamiya car is always 3 hole pistons, yellow springs with the standard yellow tamiya oil (comparable to 40wt oil).

hope that helps
__________________
Hebiki Design Works
Custom R/C Vinyl Graphics & Apparel: Your gear, your way!
Web Design - Web Development - Logo Design - Graphic Design
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:48 PM   #7039
Tech Lord
 
SuperEk4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 10,333
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

thx guys i m changing to Novak GT-7 n GTX
__________________
Hobbywing-Acorn Racing-ManiaRC-UpgradeRC-Hong nor-Rc monster-Blackbeard-Rc-MoosDesign-SweepRacing-Boca bearings-Tresrey USA-Velociti raceware-Tekno Rc-Team J-JPL Models-SNR Graphite (RETIRED)
SuperEk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #7040
Tech Addict
 
westerdude42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bellevue Wa.
Posts: 637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
48mm blue alum. is only for the rear because it doesnt take the abuse from the front. using a one-way or a spool will cause a lot of wear on your front shaft/axles. stick with steel up front for longer durability and strength.

46mm is intended for the old suspension and or if you want to use the "X" series blocks that narrows the overall stance of your car. (see previous pages on an explanation for the "X" series blocks.

if you want a spare set of dog bones/axles. build one set for the front (all steel) and one set for the rear (alum. dog bones with steel axles)

sway bars are a personal set up preference. some people use it. some people dont.

oil/piston set up...best starting point for a tamiya car is always 3 hole pistons, yellow springs with the standard yellow tamiya oil (comparable to 40wt oil).

hope that helps
You can also use the 46mm's if you use the Evo 5 short suspension arms.
__________________
Hedgehogs rule!!!
westerdude42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:46 PM   #7041
Tech Addict
 
westerdude42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bellevue Wa.
Posts: 637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerdude42
You can also use the 46mm's if you use the Evo 5 short suspension arms.
Hey Chris. You commin up for ROAR Nats?
__________________
Hedgehogs rule!!!
westerdude42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:06 PM   #7042
Tech Lord
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,919
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerdude42
Hey Chris. You commin up for ROAR Nats?
nah dude... but ill be racing reedy.
__________________
Hebiki Design Works
Custom R/C Vinyl Graphics & Apparel: Your gear, your way!
Web Design - Web Development - Logo Design - Graphic Design
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:08 PM   #7043
Tech Champion
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,813
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
nah dude... but ill be racing reedy.
See you at Tamiya Nats sucka
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:29 PM   #7044
Tech Lord
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,919
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee
See you at Tamiya Nats sucka
PM me your mailing address so i can send you some cash or we'll hook it up through troy.
__________________
Hebiki Design Works
Custom R/C Vinyl Graphics & Apparel: Your gear, your way!
Web Design - Web Development - Logo Design - Graphic Design
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:00 PM   #7045
Tech Master
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,633
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

Chris,

You going to Tamiya tomorrow?
Timmy put on some of the short arms on his MSX. Eager to try it out with some friendly racers along side!
__________________
Tamiya Track Local. 10,000 Watts of power! ($5 donations for gas appreciated)
Proud Father of GT-1 Past Champion!"Hey, I got to go to Japan too!
FF03,TA-05V2 ,EVO-6,TA-07,TRF419W,EXOTEK-6
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:35 AM   #7046
Tech Master
 
PitNamedGordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Highwood, IL
Posts: 1,789
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie
Default TA05 Athlete

I thought this was an interesting article found on RCZone.net:

Tech Racing from Japan have presented a new conversion kit for the Tamiya TA05 chassis, called the TA05 Athlethe. The conversion kit will be available in Japan around the middle of this month and will see for around 18500 yen. Although very much for the Japan market and one of many TA05 conversions, perhaps it's worth taking a closer look at the Tech racing kit? Read on to find out why!



Tech Racing is one of many small specialist after market RC companies in Japan, known for their high quality parts, mainly for Tamiya kits. They also make their own touring cars that are fairly well known in Japan, but very rarely seen outside the land of the rising sun. Their latest touring car is the MY07 Medusa that replaced the earlier MY05 model during last year. Tech Racing is however definitely most known because their logo appears on the Tamiya TRF415 boxes, one of the most successful touring cars of the past 3 years. The logo is seen on the boxes of all TRF415 versions, from the original 415 to the latest MSXX version.

How come their logo is on the Tamiya boxes, and Tech Racing decals are included with all TRF415's? This is because Tech Racing was consulted by Tamiya when designing their next generation touring car in 2003. The TRF415 was developed in cooperation with Tech Racing and finally released early 2004.

This is also the reason we should perhaps look a bit closer at the TA05 Athlete. If we are interested to find out what the next Tamiya TRF belt drive TC will look like, it might just be a good idea to look out for what Tech Racing are doing. Definitely if you look closely at the MY07 as well you could see some ideas that will find their way onto the TRF416. It is fairly well manifested that the MSXX will indeed be the last in the line of TRF415 versions. This has been more or less confirmed by a number of sources close to Tamiya.

Considering this a TRF416 can be expected to debut sometime during this year. With Tamiya as well as the other Japanese manufacturers putting a lot of effort into the off-road class this year with the worlds in Japan, the TRF416 project could well be a bit delayed compared to what we would normally expect, but it would still be surprising if the 416, or it's prototype, was not seen during 2007. Of course, it is not known if Tech Racing will be consulted for the 416, so this is just speculation.


TA05 Athlete

The Athlete conversion changes quite a few fundamental things on the TA05 chassis as it is intended to make a TA05 chassis more race-worthy. The biggest changes are to the weight distribution with the motor moved much further back into a similar position to the current high-end TC's. This also allows the battery to be moved closer to the centre-line for a narrower chassis.

Much attention has also been directed towards keeping the centre of gravity as low as possible. The motor mount is a clever new design attaching the motor in a way not seen on any other TC yet, that allows the motor mount to be very low. This in turn allows the use of a very low and long, symmetrical upper deck, similar to that on the Xray T2'007. Another purpose of the long upper deck is also to improve overall grip.



The drivetrain has also seen some attention with both the centre pulley and belts being Tech Racing designed unique parts. The centre pulley is aluminium and larger than the standard part, with 2 teeth more. The belts are white low friction soft belts.


Specifications:

- 2.5mm carbon fibre high grip main chassis
- 2.0mm carbon fibre super long upper deck
- New development motor mount design
- Duraluminium 18T direct drive center pulley
- Tech Racing super soft low friction belts
- Aluminium parts light blue anodized
- Possible to use stick pack batteries


Overall it looks like maybe the most potent TA05 conversion to date with a few interesting and innovative design features.
The TA05 Athlete conversion is scheduled for release on April 16th in Japan, and the price announced by the manufacturer is 18500 yen.
PitNamedGordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:08 AM   #7047
Tech Addict
 
pole_position's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 523
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

interesting article... thanks for sharing!
pole_position is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:28 AM   #7048
Tech Elite
 
POOKYT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cabot, AR
Posts: 3,584
Default

Ok guys I'm looking for some help here.

My TCS is on the 29th of this month. The fast cars on our track(X-Ray,Losi, 415's) run a spool as we always have many tight turns. So I am looking for an asphalt, medium grip, rubber tire set-up to get me in the ballpark. I'm really wanting to know if I should use the one-way or a spool. I have 3 years experience with a spool and little with a one-way.

Lets hear it!


Brant
__________________
EA Motorsports--B-Main Motorsports--Blizzard Concepts--Loose Nuts Racing--BigDog Graphics

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:28 AM   #7049
Regional Moderator
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At my computer, duh...
Posts: 9,033
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

To me, its the drivetrain and motor placement that makes the TA05 what it is. You change those and what's left that makes it a TA05? The name...with Athlete stuck on the end???

The TA05 already uses arms from other Tamiya cars, so like I said, its really the drivetrain layout itself that makes the TA05...what it is.

So if you change that, then its not really a TA05 anymore, and all your really doing by keeping that name on there is trying to capitalize on a popular car, when after you've jacked it up with a different layout, its not even remotely that car anymore.

Oh well...one more thing for newcomers to the thread to ask "do I need this".
__________________
TLR 22...Tamiya F104...
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:37 AM   #7050
Tech Master
 
PitNamedGordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Highwood, IL
Posts: 1,789
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid
To me, its the drivetrain and motor placement that makes the TA05 what it is. You change those and what's left that makes it a TA05? The name...with Athlete stuck on the end???

The TA05 already uses arms from other Tamiya cars, so like I said, its really the drivetrain layout itself that makes the TA05...what it is.

So if you change that, then its not really a TA05 anymore, and all your really doing by keeping that name on there is trying to capitalize on a popular car, when after you've jacked it up with a different layout, its not even remotely that car anymore.

Oh well...one more thing for newcomers to the thread to ask "do I need this".
Well I definitely don't think it's needed. But I thought it was interesting that Tech Racing helped design the TRF 415 and maybe this is a precursor to the 416...
PitNamedGordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Tamiya TA05-R (TA05) TCS Legal limbohz R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 06-05-2008 08:58 PM
New Tamiya TA05 R touring car/motor/esc! Frost99999 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 08-07-2007 12:24 PM
FWD touring car/sedan hellbilly R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 6 01-12-2007 06:22 PM
Tamiya TA05 full race sedan, Tons of Hop Ups lbckevin R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 13 08-29-2006 03:05 PM
want to buy a touring/sedan car traxxasracer Minnesota and North/South Dakota Racing 7 09-21-2004 06:36 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:15 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net