R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 03-05-2007, 10:40 AM   #6751
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

Yep..the Yok rings are much better than the stock rings. I still use the stock balls though. I've gone to using almost no grease on the balls...very very little. And then I pack as much thick AW grease in the thrust bearing as I can. My diffs are on about 3-4 months without a rebuild and are still really good.

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:43 PM   #6752
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Stupid question and sorry if it has been answered, but I couldnt find it quick going through the hundreds of pages.

I am in the process of building a car for one of my buddies. He had the stock diff up front, but wanted to put the "spool" in. When I got it assembled and in, there was a ton of slack in the driveshafts. Enough that when turned to full lock, the shafts could actually back out of the axles and become lodged. Do you have to run longer shafts with the spool, or can you use some foam spacers to space it out enough? I took the foam pieces that he had in the diff and tried using them, but there was still too much slack.. Did I just put it together wrong? This is my first Tamiya car to build, but I have built many others before, so its not like I am a total newb, just a Tamiya newb!!

Thanks in advance guys!!!
94_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:16 PM   #6753
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

If your gonna run the spool..run universals.

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:17 PM   #6754
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking Dogbones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94_snake
Stupid question and sorry if it has been answered, but I couldnt find it quick going through the hundreds of pages.

I am in the process of building a car for one of my buddies. He had the stock diff up front, but wanted to put the "spool" in. When I got it assembled and in, there was a ton of slack in the driveshafts. Enough that when turned to full lock, the shafts could actually back out of the axles and become lodged. Do you have to run longer shafts with the spool, or can you use some foam spacers to space it out enough? I took the foam pieces that he had in the diff and tried using them, but there was still too much slack.. Did I just put it together wrong? This is my first Tamiya car to build, but I have built many others before, so its not like I am a total newb, just a Tamiya newb!!

More than likely you will have to switch to universals. But, if there is some way to find out, somebody might know? Are there any longer dogbones that came with the TL01,TT01, TA04 etc. etc. that might be a little longer that will work on the TA05?Spools are generally hard on the drivetrain especially at full lock. Even with universals, the joints get a lot of abuse !
Just my 2$
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:18 PM   #6755
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 302 (100%+)

Quote:

Been there, it's IMPOSSIBLE to run spool without universals. Dog bones will crunch and grind and cause all sorts of mayhem.

Don't do it!

Don't worry about what I'm doing.
Worry about why you're worried about what I'm doing.

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity."

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #6756
Tech Master

Quote:

LIke others said, universals are a big help. But, you could change your blocks to something like 1xd, which would shorten the width of the car, thus bring the dog bones much closer.
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:48 PM   #6757
Tech Master

Default Need asphalt setup

Dear all TA05 users,

Would you like to share the setup for asphalt race ? about 30 degress C asphalt temp .... I have found difficulties in setting the chassis...
I use carbon molded part (chassis, etc ...) and std susp. arm. (should I change with the long reversible version ?)

I need :
1. rebound stroke
2. TRF damper setting (oil wt, piston holes, and spring)
3. Also, do you use any 'suspension mount spacer' front and rear to get low CG for the chassis ?

Thanks alot ,
akuhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:12 AM   #6758
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks for the help guys.. Guess he needs to buy some more parts..LOL..
94_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:19 AM   #6759
Tech Champion

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys.. Guess he needs to buy some more parts..LOL..
We all do... its called an addiction to r/c cars and years of tinkering LMAO

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:08 AM   #6760
Tech Adept

does anyone know what kind of screws the ta05r come with?

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=154954&highlight=pacific17
pacific17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:11 AM   #6761
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 302 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific17
does anyone know what kind of screws the ta05r come with?
Standard

I decided I don't need the R, my car is hopped up as I want it anyway, only thing I'd miss is reversable suspension which for me, makes it too fragile!

Don't worry about what I'm doing.
Worry about why you're worried about what I'm doing.

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity."

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:16 AM   #6762
Tech Adept

yeah mine too.. but im tempted to get the r version.. lol..

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=154954&highlight=pacific17
pacific17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:24 PM   #6763
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Has any of you guys here successfully installed a Novak super-sport brushless system (4300) in their TA05? If so, could you kindly post some pics please. I searched the entire thread and just found a pic of a GTB installed.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-08-2007, 05:50 AM   #6764
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to sim600

How do you guys set your droop on the TA-05? I found my chassis not very flat at the bottom and I can never figure out where to lay the droop gauge against it. The droop settings seem to depend on where the gauge touches the chassis. There are slight bulges around the screw holes. How do you guys do it?
Old 03-08-2007, 09:15 AM   #6765
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuhon
Dear all TA05 users,

Would you like to share the setup for asphalt race ? about 30 degress C asphalt temp .... I have found difficulties in setting the chassis...
I use carbon molded part (chassis, etc ...) and std susp. arm. (should I change with the long reversible version ?)

I need :
1. rebound stroke
2. TRF damper setting (oil wt, piston holes, and spring)
3. Also, do you use any 'suspension mount spacer' front and rear to get low CG for the chassis ?

Thanks alot ,
I use the standard suspension too...27-turn stock in a parking lot track, on Sorex 32Rs with medium Type-B inserts...I set the front and rear droop to be "5" on the Associated droop gauge, then set the ride height to about 5mm. I use Much-More 400W oil (although I think lighter oil would be better) with 2-hole pistons all around, with Tamiya blue short spring up front, and Tamiya yellow short spring on the back. The car used to understeer with that setup, but I flipped the knuckles around (I have C1 on the right and C2 on the left now) and put used the forward hole in the front uprights (less Ackermann effect). The car has so much steering now...and I don't use any kick up/anti-dive...all hingepins are flat relative to the chassis. I use the second-longest camber link in front, with 5mm spacers, and the second-longest camber link with 2.5mm spacers on the rear. I don't run arm sweep either.