Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by quantum
can anyone confirm that the nissan calsonic body 51184 fits the ta05 properly? its not listed as a compatible chassis on the parts page so wanted to check before buying

thanks
Keep in mind the the US TCS North American GT2 winner used that body.
I don't beleive that the body has any mounting holes. I have used it on mine it is is fine. Why did you ask that question? what is your concern?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i am looking at this car for some parking lot racing my LHS is going to start doing this spring. i will be racing in the stock class, where tuning and driving skills counts, not the man with the most $$$. so, i would like to ask a few questions:

what does the baseline TA-05 come with? is the body painted (i say this because the painted bodies on the website look so sexy)? does it come with a motor? if so, is it any good for stock racing? are the wheels and tires any good? how is the box stock set up? is there anything i should upgrade from the get go? how is the durability? what kind of competition from other brands does it have?

thanks in advance, i know i have really fired away a lot of questions but i might be joining this crowd soon!
Old 02-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The box comes with the usual chassis, body and a motor, you'll still need the ESC, batts, receiver.

It's a clear body, but most come with full sticker sets so you can get as close to the box model as possible.

It comes with a silver-can Johnson motor, good for getting used to things but it won't come close to the 27T "Stock" motors your class will be running, like the Monster, CO27 and such.

The wheels are alright you can mount them with most any tire, but the tires you'll want to swap out with whatever everyone else is running, like CS-27's. Just ask the folks there.

Box set up is great, not much but a few upgrades will get you running very well on the track. I'd recommend universals in the front at least, and maybe swaybars for extra tuning but it can run well enough without them outdoors. Also, get bearings for the steering rack, as it comes with bushings. The stock .6 spur gear will do fine outdoors, but you could go to .4 or 64 pitch for a better gearing range. Any TC spur will fit, 105T is pretty well standard. To cut down on how often you need to rebuild your diffs, get the Wide-pitch diff pulleys.. they come with a lip that goes around the diff ends, keeps the dirt out very nicely. One-ways and spools are mainly a matter of driving preference.

Durability is excellent. The stock suspension is solid, takes tons of abuse. As a belt car, you get the usual issues with stones and dirt outdoors, but it's not much of a problem. Just keep it clean.

I guess price-wise, it'd be comparable to the Cyclone-S and T2R, but on the whole it can race up there with the big guys.. you might hear gripes about the extra weight compared to the CF/Aluminum cars, but it's all in what it does with the weight. It's a very well balanced car.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

thanks man. a lot of help. do you reckon that i should wait for the TA-05R since my LHS will probably not start racing until around April-May? also, what kind of price do you all think the TA-05R will be?
thanks
Old 02-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Does anyone knows if TA05R comes with the carbon reinforce chassis?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'd reckon it'd be in the $250-300US range.

It doesn't look like the carbon tub will come with that kit, strange since everything else carbon is in there. I guess it's to keep the price of that kit in that range. For that price, and if you think you'll want to get those upgrades down the road, it's worth it.

Then again, if you go the route of buying it all separately, you'll end up with an extra stock TA05 from spare parts alone in the end, like I have. Sold it to recoup some of the upgrade costs.

I haven't calculated the final cost at all, and I never plan to. All I know is that it looks sweet.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

@macnkitty2002:
The lightweight suspension (comes with the TA05R) is a bit fragile (fine if the track you race at doesn't have solid barriers, but otherwise avoid it). If you can get most of the hopups recommended by jam-ehz at a good price (the total including the original kit shouldn't exceed $300) plus at least one pair of aluminum suspension mounts (TRF415 Bridge A on the rear arms' front side, TRF415 A on the front arms' front side, along with the 5mm suspension balls to go with it) then I don't think the 05R is worth waiting for...I guess the 05R would be around TB-02R-ish in terms of price..so from 250 to 300 bucks, if you insist on buying it.

@diha
nope. 05R comes with std chassis, according to what Tamiya has released.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Tech Addict

i think (my personal opinion) is that the TA05R is abit of a let down as probably most of you all got your hopes up of it been really pimped and with the limited edition 05 and all that etc.. with all the nice blue alloy and the carbon fibre chassis etc and look what they bring out. not the TA05 that some of you were expecting ay?
Old 02-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TAMIYAMANUK
i think (my personal opinion) is that the TA05R is abit of a let down as probably most of you all got your hopes up of it been really pimped and with the limited edition 05 and all that etc.. with all the nice blue alloy and the carbon fibre chassis etc and look what they bring out. not the TA05 that some of you were expecting ay?
If you want CF chassis and aluminum bits, go for the TRF415MSXX as that is Tamiya's flagship chassis. You don't see Marc Rheinard driving a TA05, that indicates that TA05 is not good enough to be with CF chassis and aluminum parts.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Tech Addict

I think Marc R. car is in the corner....This may get race depending on what circuit is being held......
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-mrta05.gif  
Old 02-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by m3ndo5a
I think Marc R. car is in the corner....This may get race depending on what circuit is being held......
Ya, but we have never seen him racing this in a major race.

Maybe we will see him running that in a Tamiya race.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

ya, but didn't tamiya do the same thing with the TB-02R? why didn't they put a CF chassis on it and upgrade it more to the TB EVO specs? because these are Tamiya's mid-range racers so they see no need to give it all the specs of the raciest kits. if you want the CF chassis and the extra bits not given to you in the "R" kits, you should get on of their full race kits like the Evo or the 415. Tamiya puts out these "R" kits to give the more serious racers the parts they will get anyways but at a still low price.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by trf_racer
If you want CF chassis and aluminum bits, go for the TRF415MSXX as that is Tamiya's flagship chassis. You don't see Marc Rheinard driving a TA05, that indicates that TA05 is not good enough to be with CF chassis and aluminum parts.
wow thats some pretty big assumptions, time will tell ... in the meantime, ready a shell to crawl in.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by trf_racer
Yep, it couldn't have anything to do with the fact that he drives what they tell him to drive. I've heard rumors that a lot of the factory guys drove TA05s and TRF415s back to back and actually turned in better times with the TA05s. Just a rumor though...but I've seen TA05s spank Corally's and Xrays weekly.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:22 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I went from an X Ray FK05 to a TA05, and while the FK05 is lighter, I find the TA05 far more stable and I pull better lap times in it, it breaks less, and the parts don't cost the earth!

Thats enough for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.