R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2007, 06:48 AM   #6481
Tech Addict
 
Jam-ehz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 592
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz
Default

Well, this kit won't be $130 for sure.. heheh.. but it'll still be cheaper than putting it all together like I did..

Interesting how they didn't include the carbon tub.. I was also expecting a set of TB-02R-style front and rear CF brackets instead of the carbon K-parts, but I'm sure that'll be a matter of time.. also they went to the hard carbon shock towers, which isn't bad at all..

Looks like I already have the TA05R, and then some , even the blue spur holder.. just have to check out that alu. center plate..

But, more interesting than he TA05R on that list up there, is the M-03R?? Hmm.. I was going to buy an '03 to accompany my '04 this year, just might have to look out for this one..
__________________
-=≡ Tamiya TA05 TRF415MSX F103R M-03R M-04 M-05 ≡=-
-=≡ CRC Carpet Knife 3.2 OFNA LD3 Pro Fastcats Spektrum ׀ווlı ≡=-
Jam-ehz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:59 AM   #6482
Regional Moderator
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At my computer, duh...
Posts: 9,033
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

It'll be interesting to see how much Tamiya charges for it. Aside from the LW suspension, I've got just about everthing that the "05R" has and a little bit more. And I'm at about $300 total with mine using rcchamp. So if they manage to keep the car around that, then its a great deal. If it ends up in the $370-$390 range, then most people may still be better off building up their own version since the LW suspension is the most costly thing on the 05R, and its really not needed by most.

It'll also be interesting to see if the TA05 maintains its "durable" rep, now that the 05R will be coming with the LW suspension. Not everybody races with at the Tamiya track.

In any case, the release seems kinda anti-climatic coming so late after most of us have already built up our own 05R. Its like trying to watch a sports event after you've already seen the box scores on ESPN.
__________________
TLR 22...Tamiya F104...

Last edited by Darkseid; 02-01-2007 at 07:25 AM.
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:27 AM   #6483
Tech Addict
 
waOscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pattaya Thailand
Posts: 614
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid
It'll also be interesting to see if the TA05 maintains its "durable" rep, now that the 05R will be coming with the LW suspension. Not everybody races with at the Tamiya track.

In any case, the release seems kinda anti-climatic coming so late after most of us have already built up our own 05R. Its like trying to watch a sports event after you've already seen the box scores on ESPN.
Why are you so down on the L/W suspension?

I've had it on my old TB02, got it now on my EvoIV and my daughters TA05 (which makes keeping parts easy), it certainly not anywhere near as fragile as the jrx-s. One of the tracks we race on has a limestone wall at the end of the main straight, we call it "Parts Corner", all the ta-o5s (with or without L/W) survive that corner very well compared to other makes. (The x-rays and corrally's bend very expensive aluminium and the losi just breaks all of whichever corner hits the wall).

I will agree with you that if you are just starting, you may as well wear out the kit stuff first, it does work very well.

The L/W biggest advantage is the front upright/c hub is a much smoother and the extra setup options, which is very important for me, because my cars race on both asphalt and carpet tracks every week.

I certainly do not see these parts as being more likely to break than standard kit suspension.

I recommend anyone who is looking at getting started with a TA05 to wear out the kit stuff first. However definately consider upgrading to L/W when everythings starting to get beat up, sloppy and ready for a re-build.

One final point regarding Anti-climatic. Plenty of people are still to discover the excellent value for race dollar that the TA-05 represents.
(For the record my best time with daughters TA-05 is only 0.2 seconds behind my best time with EvoIV, and I recon I could go faster with TA05 if I drove it more often)
waOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:34 AM   #6484
Tech Champion
 
Core Creations's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 5,743
Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations
Default

Yeah mine is much more like a TRF05! Only thing I need is the LWS that after having the car for 1 1/2 years I am finally gonna try on the asphalt this summer! They can keep the aluminum turnbuckles...they need blue ti ones!!!
__________________
Core Creations paint thread

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:37 AM   #6485
Tech Champion
 
Core Creations's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 5,743
Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations
Default

If they keep it in the $275 range it will be a value...above that..no thanks!
__________________
Core Creations paint thread

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:59 AM   #6486
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Creations
Yeah mine is much more like a TRF05! Only thing I need is the LWS that after having the car for 1 1/2 years I am finally gonna try on the asphalt this summer! They can keep the aluminum turnbuckles...they need blue ti ones!!!
Too bad Tamiya don't make blue titanium turnbuckle...
trf_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:51 AM   #6487
Regional Moderator
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At my computer, duh...
Posts: 9,033
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waOscar
Why are you so down on the L/W suspension?

I've had it on my old TB02, got it now on my EvoIV and my daughters TA05 (which makes keeping parts easy), it certainly not anywhere near as fragile as the jrx-s. One of the tracks we race on has a limestone wall at the end of the main straight, we call it "Parts Corner", all the ta-o5s (with or without L/W) survive that corner very well compared to other makes. (The x-rays and corrally's bend very expensive aluminium and the losi just breaks all of whichever corner hits the wall).

I will agree with you that if you are just starting, you may as well wear out the kit stuff first, it does work very well.

The L/W biggest advantage is the front upright/c hub is a much smoother and the extra setup options, which is very important for me, because my cars race on both asphalt and carpet tracks every week.

I certainly do not see these parts as being more likely to break than standard kit suspension.

I recommend anyone who is looking at getting started with a TA05 to wear out the kit stuff first. However definately consider upgrading to L/W when everythings starting to get beat up, sloppy and ready for a re-build.

One final point regarding Anti-climatic. Plenty of people are still to discover the excellent value for race dollar that the TA-05 represents.
(For the record my best time with daughters TA-05 is only 0.2 seconds behind my best time with EvoIV, and I recon I could go faster with TA05 if I drove it more often)
I'm down on the LWS because for every story about how it holds up, I hear 3 about how its fragile. But with the kit suspension, you don't hear ANYTHING at all about it being fragile. In fact, I've yet to hear anything about breaking the stock arms. So the question is, if the average racer can go just as fast with or without the LWS, why dump $100 on it? It just doesn't make sense no matter how you look at it.

And to tell you the truth, I wouldn't care either way except that when some of those "people...still to discover the excellent value for race dollar that the TA-05 represents" come here looking for hop up advice, they have people telling them that the LWS is something they need to have. Those people start to think "man I 'need' a $100 suspension upgrade, this car aint the value people claim it is". And its not the case. Its not needed. So when people stop hyping it, then I'll stop "being down on it".

People can come here and read the hype about the LWS, and read the bad stuff about it, then make up their own mind. But they need to know both sides. And pretending that the LWS is as durable as the stock pieces is fiction. Pure and simple.
__________________
TLR 22...Tamiya F104...
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:55 AM   #6488
Regional Moderator
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At my computer, duh...
Posts: 9,033
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Creations
If they keep it in the $275 range it will be a value...above that..no thanks!
$275??? with all that stuff they got on their, including the LWS? That would be the value of the century!

The TA05 would start popping up all over the place! At that price/performance value, it would be insane.
__________________
TLR 22...Tamiya F104...
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:40 AM   #6489
Tech Elite
 
Turbonium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,302
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium
Default

49418 RCC TA05R CHASSIS KIT 28800YEN 22ND

Rainbow10 shows that price, and should show up around march the 22nd... if thats correct.
__________________
Wes

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #6490
Tech Addict
 
waOscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pattaya Thailand
Posts: 614
Default

Cheers darkseid.
Racings pretty small over here in the most remote city in the world (Perth Australia), so our "survey" size could never truley be representative.

I hope you didn't miss the bit about me agreeing with ya, cause, I do, you don't need L/W when your are getting started. I've never recommended L/W to a newbie.

To do believe it is an advantage but save it for when you got experience and can get the most from it.

I've read this entire forum from start to finish and I don't recall anyone being "hyped" on L/w.

They all seem to want to take a perfectly good car and fit all kinds of "junk" from other manufactures (carbon chassis from countless number of makers, alum stuff from all over the world)

This is a great car out of the box, but it does improve when you add some things to it.
waOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #6491
Tech Fanatic
 
FreqETag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Show Me State
Posts: 975
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbonium
49418 RCC TA05R CHASSIS KIT 28800YEN 22ND

Rainbow10 shows that price, and should show up around march the 22nd... if thats correct.
If it is correct, thats 240.00US. Which means Tower will be selling it for around 330.00 if my calculations are correct.

Your mileage may vary....
FreqETag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #6492
Tech Addict
 
westerdude42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bellevue Wa.
Posts: 637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid
I'm down on the LWS because for every story about how it holds up, I hear 3 about how its fragile. But with the kit suspension, you don't hear ANYTHING at all about it being fragile. In fact, I've yet to hear anything about breaking the stock arms. So the question is, if the average racer can go just as fast with or without the LWS, why dump $100 on it? It just doesn't make sense no matter how you look at it.

And to tell you the truth, I wouldn't care either way except that when some of those "people...still to discover the excellent value for race dollar that the TA-05 represents" come here looking for hop up advice, they have people telling them that the LWS is something they need to have. Those people start to think "man I 'need' a $100 suspension upgrade, this car aint the value people claim it is". And its not the case. Its not needed. So when people stop hyping it, then I'll stop "being down on it".

People can come here and read the hype about the LWS, and read the bad stuff about it, then make up their own mind. But they need to know both sides. And pretending that the LWS is as durable as the stock pieces is fiction. Pure and simple.
You are right that the car handles fine on the standard suspension. For me the lightweight just feels more precise so the little adjustments are easier to make. Either way the car is competative.
__________________
Hedgehogs rule!!!
westerdude42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #6493
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: land of mass unemployment
Posts: 1,313
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

H,

if the price Wes posted is right it would be about
$238.67 US. (from XE.com). maybe I'll buy another one and sell my 007's........... and with the extra money buy a Mi3!!!!

(sorry Darksied. )

Thanks
__________________
Team Tekin, KoPropo, Power Push Batteries, Tempgun.com
PROTECT ME FROM THE THINGS I WANT.
THAT WHICH FEEDS ME DESTROYS ME.
Life is short - live it! Your only old when your dreams are replaced by regrets.
TimXLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:08 AM   #6494
Tech Initiate
 
Peter_PaP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia VIC
Posts: 40
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

What is the right type of tire for road like surfaces? (24mm)
Peter_PaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #6495
Tech Champion
 
Core Creations's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 5,743
Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations
Default

So about $250 plus shipping!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbonium
49418 RCC TA05R CHASSIS KIT 28800YEN 22ND

Rainbow10 shows that price, and should show up around march the 22nd... if thats correct.
__________________
Core Creations paint thread

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Tamiya TA05-R (TA05) TCS Legal limbohz R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 06-05-2008 08:58 PM
New Tamiya TA05 R touring car/motor/esc! Frost99999 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 08-07-2007 12:24 PM
FWD touring car/sedan hellbilly R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 6 01-12-2007 06:22 PM
Tamiya TA05 full race sedan, Tons of Hop Ups lbckevin R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 13 08-29-2006 03:05 PM
want to buy a touring/sedan car traxxasracer Minnesota and North/South Dakota Racing 7 09-21-2004 06:36 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:56 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net