Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan >

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Old 01-21-2007, 02:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ducati
My diff woes continue

I rebuilt the diff, spraying the thrust bearing down with motor spray, and re-lubing it with AW grease.

I believe this is the dogbone slightly popping out of the front hub.

Here's what I'm wondering... Over time, those little foam plugs included in the kit (and slipped in the outdrives) have worn somewhat.

I suppose if that's the case, I either need new foamies or (preferably) universals?

NO AW grease in the thrust bearing !
Tamiya ceramic grease or other soft grease.

In the diff locknut I use 1 drop of locktight,
this solves the probem.

Loose the foam plugs, they dont work!
Replace them with rubber O rings.
In the diff you need 2 O rings instead of 1 , because the gap is bigger.
But only left front and right back 2 rings.( in the diff outdrive )
Old 01-21-2007, 04:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I rebuilt the diff with a new locknut and freshly cleaned/lubed thrust bearing. I took it out in a practice lot where I setup some cones. Diff loosened within the first lap.
Agreed that using Associated Black grease or similar would be a better choice than AW.

But I think the problem here may be that you are assembling the diff backwards. Check to ensure that you are running the diff screw in through the correct outdrive. Inserting the diff screw from the wrong side will make it harder to get the nut on the screw and will make the diff loosen as soon as it gets out on the track. And it's easy to do it the wrong way (especially if you don't have a lot of experience with these cars), because the instructions don't warn you about it and the outdrives don't appear that different in length in the illustrations in the manual.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Why not use AW grease? I've used on my 05 for over a year now and my thrust bearings are like new??
Old 01-21-2007, 07:45 AM
Tech Addict

I've used AW on thrust bearing in the past and it works fine if you like it keep using it. I currently use Tamiya Moly grease on thrust and spring only because I personally prefer the feel of the diff with moly.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Tech Rookie

I've also been using the Tamiya AW grease and I find it better than the Associated Black Grease. My first TA05 has seen an awful lot of use, inside and out. I recently refurbished the diff again, replacing the diff rings and balls, cleaned the thrust race out and regreased it with AW grease. Its running really smooth. Never had problems with the diff looseing up.

Sarah
Old 01-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hmmm, 3Racing chassis and stock suspension, 19t qualifying... me on pole, 10 place wih a HB Surikarn Cyclone.... some 9.5 seconds behind in second.... heehee, his fastest lap was faster, but he just couldn't keep a rhythm with it.

3Racing steering is bleurgh..... snapped the drag ling in the second final... grrr...
Old 01-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hi guys,
Got a question about suspension mounts, I understand what the A to E mounts do, but what are these XA, XB, XC etc? How are they different? Thanks.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by sim600
Hi guys,
Got a question about suspension mounts, I understand what the A to E mounts do, but what are these XA, XB, XC etc? How are they different? Thanks.
Narrow to wide: XC XB XA A B C D E
Old 01-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ttso
Narrow to wide: XC XB XA A B C D E
You have that wrong.
Narrow to wide: 1XD 1XC 1XB 1XA 1X 1A 1B 1C 1D 1E.
all the A B C D E blocks are 1 mm diffence in height. but the same width as the 1 blocks
Old 01-21-2007, 05:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys, im new to this forum, been in rc for around 4 years now, and Ive got my ta05 strictly for drifting, just wondering if any of you guys use yours as drifters? Yesterday a bunch ofhop-upsd of mine arrived, and im just wondering what you guys think, its a preatty long list, but i got a great price for them, and went for it. Ive just gotta get a new diff bolt, and screw so i can loack my rear diff, and close it up. Once i finish up the build, i wanna know whether you can post pics on these forums, ive never been on a forum where you couldnt, but dont know how to on this one?

List of hop-ups:
3Racing
Carbon fiber bumper stiffener
Carbon fiber front shock tower
Carbon fiber rear shock tower
Carbon fiber front chassis stiffener
Carbon fiber rear chassis stiffener
Blue Alum. Steering block
Blue Alum. 2 deg rear hub carrier
Blue Alum. Threaded Front and rear shocks
Yeah Racing:
Blue Alum. front C-Hub
Blue Alum. Battery strap
Tamiya sway bar front and rear sway bar set
Topcad Blue Alum. Motor mount
And all the spacers needed for the new chassis stiffeners, the caps and collars on the threaded shocks, and the ball ends im using also happen to be blue alum. ive preatty much got the car finish, and ive gott say it looks awesome.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Talking

Ok, so my foam carpet setup just ain't doin the trick.

Who's got a carpet setup from the Novak?

Come on, somebody has to have something

Last edited by FreqETag; 01-21-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
You have that wrong.
Narrow to wide: 1XD 1XC 1XB 1XA 1X 1A 1B 1C 1D 1E.
all the A B C D E blocks are 1 mm diffence in height. but the same width as the 1 blocks
This is really confusing because Tamiya calls the part with "1A" stamped on it the "TRF415 Suspension Mount - (A)".

The A B C D E blocks you are talking about here are the ones meant for the TB EVO cars? Thanks
Old 01-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sim600
This is really confusing because Tamiya calls the part with "1A" stamped on it the "TRF415 Suspension Mount - (A)".

The A B C D E blocks you are talking about here are the ones meant for the TB EVO cars? Thanks
so that you dont get confused, stop referencing the TB Evo blocks. refer to the 415 and TA05 blocks only ... link
Old 01-22-2007, 02:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by vlozity
so that you dont get confused, stop referencing the TB Evo blocks. refer to the 415 and TA05 blocks only ... link
Your link makes it more confusing because the '1' series and the non '1' series are both listed as hop-ups for the TA05.

Here is how it works. (lets ignore the '1' for now, and assume your car has 0 degree uprights fitted).

Everything is referenced to the A suspension mount. This is the standard width suspension mount is most of the current Tamiya cars (TA05, Evo's, 415's and TB02's).

Any suspension mount with a 'x' at the start is smaller in width than A.
think of it this way
A = 0
x = negative numbers.

so as ttso said perfectly correct earlier they narrowest suspension mount is XD and they get progressively wider as you go to E.
eg XD, XC, XB, XA, X, A, B, C, D, E

What does this mean:
If your car is fitted with standard, probably plastic parts for TA05, then you will have;
A front and A rear = 0 degree toe in
change now to
A front and B rear = 0.5 degree toe in
A front and C rear = 0.5 degree toe in
XA front and A rear = 0.5 degree toe in and slightly narrower track.

So you can change suspension mounts to adjust the "track" (or width) and also the toe-in.

All the '1' means is they are 1mm lower than the standard (non '1') suspension mounts.

so if you want to set "kick-up" of "anti-squat" you can actually use a mixture of the '1' and standard mounts.

Dont forget when setting toe, many cars have toe-in built into the rear hub carriers.

For example;
TA05 on Rear
1 Degree hub carrier, T53685 1A bridge suspension mount front and 1B on rear. Which gives standard kit width with 1.5 degrees rear toe-in.
EvoIV on Rear
1 degree hub carrier, X front mount and C rear mount. Which gives 2.5 degrees rear toe

Hope this helps
Old 01-22-2007, 03:59 AM
Tech Champion

Hey guys, im new to the ta05 and need to hook myself up with a spring tuning set for it- has anyone got part numbers for this or do you have to buy them just in pairs of one colour?

Thanks guys!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.