R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 06-01-2006, 06:08 PM   #4216
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Tnx...Is there anymore tips i can use in my TAO5?? i really love this car..
racenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:24 PM   #4217
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

I don't think your understanding what I am saying. There is play between the actual balls and the races. I'm not really sure you could effectively shim that play out?? I understand how to shim the suspension. Even though there is play within the actual bearing itself it has not seemed to hamper the cars performance in any way whatsoever.

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:18 PM   #4218
Tech Master

Does anyone have a lot of track/tune time on the car the way it is out of the box? I see most people just hop it up like crazy the second they get it.
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:40 PM   #4219
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey Black kat, I've kept mine pretty much box stock and I noticed that the rear end had a lot of traction. I installed a set of sway bars for this weekend at fremont HT. If you want,we can pit together ( I have a 10x10 canopy) and try to figure this car out for the TCS coming in June.--Al
Keepin' it real with my M11x
big al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:59 PM   #4220
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKat
Does anyone have a lot of track/tune time on the car the way it is out of the box? I see most people just hop it up like crazy the second they get it.
I ran mine for quite a while before ever putting any hop ups on it. Thats why I say that most people here have absolutely NO basis with which to base their claims that this/that is a "must have" hop up. How could they know that if they NEVER ran the car with the original part?

My experience with the stock car was restricted to carpet. It had A LOT of steering right out of the box. But it acheived that steering without loosing rear traction. This was probably due to the flex that the stock chassis allowed. I notice that the car tended to roll a bit too much without the swaybars. The weight wasn't a really noticable factor.

The stock shocks are just as good as any alum. shocks around. They really don't require replacement and the only reason most people do replace them is because they hate those little shock clips. Even the stock servo saver seems to be 'race ready'.

I think if you have the right tires for your track, the car is just fine right out of the box.

But not many people...including myself...can leave a Tamiya chassis stock for very long.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:17 PM   #4221
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKat
I ran my Tao5 basically stock including the stock silver can motor and 70t spur gear with 24T pinion. It handles quite well plus im having a long time for playing or racing with my friends. I changed the plastic shocks for trf dampers for easy adjustment.

The first thing i noticed is that the car have short steering travel, I ditched the servo horn and replaced it with a longer one to gain more steering travel.

When i used a 23t motor (Tamiya type-S) with the same gearing, my motor gets pretty hot.. Maybe i should change the pinion for 22 or 23t..I dunno, i have to find out if this will work.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:45 PM   #4222
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut
I ran my Tao5 basically stock including the stock silver can motor and 70t spur gear with 24T pinion. It handles quite well plus im having a long time for playing or racing with my friends. I changed the plastic shocks for trf dampers for easy adjustment.

The first thing i noticed is that the car have short steering travel, I ditched the servo horn and replaced it with a longer one to gain more steering travel.

When i used a 23t motor (Tamiya type-S) with the same gearing, my motor gets pretty hot.. Maybe i should change the pinion for 22 or 23t..I dunno, i have to find out if this will work.
Usually Mabuchis you can gear the snot out of them. With other motors you probably will have to drop considerable amount of teeth.
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:40 PM   #4223
Tech Master

Default Tamiya Suspension ball

Hi all,

Just back from abroad..
Now I have the alum susp. blocks but I forgot to take the susp. balls.
I notice there are 2 : 50994 and 53709.
Are those steel or alum ?
The one I look for, actually, is made of delrin plastic.
I have some of them when I purchased TRF414M 2nd hand kit.

Does anyone know the plastic delrin susp. ball ? 'cause the steel one take about 0,3 gr while the plastic, 0 gram (

I know there's one but it's 7-digit part from TB Evo-III .... which is non-existent now (IMO)

Thx for the info.
akuhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:56 PM   #4224
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by big al
Hey Black kat, I've kept mine pretty much box stock and I noticed that the rear end had a lot of traction. I installed a set of sway bars for this weekend at fremont HT. If you want,we can pit together ( I have a 10x10 canopy) and try to figure this car out for the TCS coming in June.--Al
Hey Al, Thanks for the offer but I gotta go to work bro (I work at Great America) I got a ride to TCS but I normally don't race Fremont...still underage, driving is too expensive for me and my dad and I, plus VTA doesn't go into Fremont....LOL

Have you/are you going to run HTSJ this year?

-Dan Z.
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:23 AM   #4225
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dan,
I agree with darkseid that the kit need virtually no hop ups. However, I found the kit shocks did not have adequate dampening. The stock piston has a huge gap on the side that just lets too much oil flow. I put in 80 weight and it felt like 10 weight on a TRF shock. Bouncy bouncy. You can probably just replace the pistons with the Tamiya 2 or 3 holes pistons - it's a $5 hop-up that's well spent. The next thing that I believe is required are the precision diff halves. The stock diff halves are pretty weak and they spread apart and the dogbone pops out. That's all you need to keep up with the other $450 touring cars.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:24 AM   #4226
Tech Master

Blackkat, I unfortunately work weekends as well (friggin' retail) I'm calling in sick (cough,cough) so that I can get some track time with this TA05 before the TCS later this month. I doubt I'll make it out to Ht san jose..you can only call in so many times before they figure it out. So we'll see. If I,or you, make it out the offer stands, two heads are better than one.--Al
Old 06-02-2006, 12:26 AM   #4227
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big al
Al, If I remember correctly, the kit setting has the steering tierod connected to the outer (back) hole of the steering knuckle. If you move it up to the front hole, you will get 2x the steering and it will free up you rear end.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:40 AM   #4228
Tech Master

I will definitely give that a go Linger!! Thanks for the tip!!--Al
Old 06-02-2006, 01:52 AM   #4229
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Ko
Usually Mabuchis you can gear the snot out of them. With other motors you probably will have to drop considerable amount of teeth.
Yeah, your right...
Old 06-02-2006, 01:58 AM   #4230
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger
Al, If I remember correctly, the kit setting has the steering tierod connected to the outer (back) hole of the steering knuckle. If you move it up to the front hole, you will get 2x the steering and it will free up you rear end.
Hey, this is a good tip. Tnx Linger