R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 04-17-2006, 09:14 PM   #3871

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

cool info on that motor mount. 4g weight lol, take it for thermal help and strength of motor mount slots (lotta motor/pinion changes here and stock slots are lil worn)

hope they dont charge out wah-zoo for it. 40bux for that and 40 for chassis, u've saved 15g and spent all that money.

hmm

-ult
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:26 PM   #3872
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...model.co.jp%2f

Checkout the part TUB-506 TA-05 suspension saber
Old 04-17-2006, 10:37 PM   #3873
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjoy25
Anyone here tried the Orion lipo packs yets? How much butchering is required in the stock chassis?
I've been using the Orion Lipo for some time now. First with the stock chassis, then with the carbon fibre chassis.

Technically, you can just put the pack in, raise your battery strap post up some till they're high enough, then run the car with no mods at all.

But I wanted the pack to sit as low as possible, so I modded my chassis. Basically the only thing really required is to remove the raised curves that Tamiya put in place to support stick packs....thats pretty much it. Just go to each raised curve and dremel them down until they're flat. Then put the Lipo in, and raise your battery strap post a little until they are the perfect height. Or if your using the carbon chassis (which has pre-cut tape holes) and prefer tape, you can tape the pack in. Because the new pack can't rest down in the battery slots, it will sit about a couple mm higher than a side by side pack...no big deal at all.

Best part is, if you leave your battery wires at their original length, your regular packs will still fit...but after using the Lipo...who would want to go back to regular packs?

I added a pic of it mounted up in the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-ta05_b.jpg  
Old 04-17-2006, 10:48 PM   #3874
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Thanks Darkseid. You also got a PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:52 PM   #3875
Tech Initiate

Hi,
Darkseid, I noticed that you are running your car with foams. Are you running on carpet? Are those 28mm foams and if so, how did you get them to fit on the TA05? I tried 28mm wheels on mine (stock) and they don't fit b/c they interfere with the outer camber links on the front and the hub carrier on the rear. Thanks for the advice.
By the way, your car looks great, especially with the lipo!
Marc L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:04 PM   #3876
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjoy25
Thanks Darkseid. You also got a PM.
PM back at you.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:09 PM   #3877
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc L.
Hi,
Darkseid, I noticed that you are running your car with foams. Are you running on carpet? Are those 28mm foams and if so, how did you get them to fit on the TA05? I tried 28mm wheels on mine (stock) and they don't fit b/c they interfere with the outer camber links on the front and the hub carrier on the rear. Thanks for the advice.
By the way, your car looks great, especially with the lipo!
Yes, when I took that pic, that set up was for running foams on carpet. Yes those are 28mm wheels, Parma to be exact. What I...and most everyone using 28mm foams...had to do was go to Tamiya's 6mm clamping hex hubs.(part# 53569) They give just enough room for the wheels to be mounted.

In addition, up front on the camber links, you should shave the top of the ball cups off at an angle so that wheels that are a little soft (such as Parma's) will have some room to flex a little under heavy cornering loads, while still not hitting the camber link.

Oh, and thanks for the compliments on the car. Most of the stuff was for *bling*, but hey, thats half the fun of owning a Tamiya.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:01 AM   #3878
sup
Tech Addict

hi guys, does anyone here know the bearing count (and sizes too) of the ta05? im thinking about getting ceramic bearings for mine (standard suspension). thanks in advance!

p.s.
i saw that speedtech has a bearing kit for the ta05, but i think ill be buying it piece by piece.
sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:11 AM   #3879
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rampal

Quote:
I've been using the Orion Lipo for some time now. First with the stock chassis, then with the carbon fibre chassis.
Hey Darkseid, are you happy with the lipo? I haven't seen any weight on your car on the lipo side.... does your car is well balanced? Hoy have you done it? I'm thinking on buying two Platinums but not sure about the balance issue.

Thanks a lot,
rampal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:36 AM   #3880

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

whats the runtime on that thing? (w/what motor and type of drivin ur doin that is).

-ult
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:52 AM   #3881
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampal
Hey Darkseid, are you happy with the lipo? I haven't seen any weight on your car on the lipo side.... does your car is well balanced? Hoy have you done it? I'm thinking on buying two Platinums but not sure about the balance issue.

Thanks a lot,
Strangely enough, balance wasn't an issue I expected it to be. In fact, it was nearly perfect after I started using the Lipo.

What I did was use the balancing pegs from my nitro car. I put one under the center screw at the front of the car, and I made a balancing hole dead center right at the back of the chassis. Then I put my regular 3700 in to see how much weight it would take to balance the car on the electronics side. It took a total of 45g on the electronic side. Then I weighed my LiPo and 3700 packs and found that the LiPo was 40g lighter. Sooo...if my thinking was correct, then all I would have to do to balance the car with the LiPo was to add 5g to the battery side. Sure enough, when I tried it, thats all it took.

But thats with my electronics...

-KO 2173 servo
-Novak Xxtra
-Personal transponder
-19t motor
-Futaba MC800C Ver.2

...and this car.

Over on the Platinum LiPo thread, I've seen cars like the Corally RDX, that have had guys slapping tons of weight on the battery side to balance it. Not sure whats going on there... but that wasn't the case with me. 5g was all that was needed for me to give a MUCH better (pretty much perfect) balance than with the ultra heavy NiMH.

Last edited by Darkseid; 04-18-2006 at 07:03 AM.
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:12 AM   #3882
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultegrasti
whats the runtime on that thing? (w/what motor and type of drivin ur doin that is).

-ult
Don't know for sure what the full runtime is. In most cases, I only use about 1700-1900mah during a race(depending on track layout). Then I recharge. The closest I've ever come was when I was working on the car between rounds and forgot to recharge the pack before my next race. I managed to finish the race, and didn't notice any slow down until the 30sec remaining mark. Even then, it was only a slightly noticable slowdown.

That was with a C2 19t motor and a fairly aggressive mid sized carpet layout.

Last edited by Darkseid; 04-18-2006 at 07:34 AM.
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:25 AM   #3883
Tech Initiate

Darkseid,

Can you post your carpet setup? I want to run my 05 on carpet with foams.

Thanks
leadacid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:54 PM   #3884
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadacid1
Darkseid,

Can you post your carpet setup? I want to run my 05 on carpet with foams.

Thanks

I'm SURE someone else here could provide a better carpet setup than mine. I'm not really a fan of racing on carpet. In fact, I hate it. I only do it because I didn't want to take the entire winter off this year.

So ask around here, I'm sure you can find a nice carpet setup.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:35 PM   #3885
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

Anyone have any ideas on what were supposed to use for thrust bearings? Tamiya has discontinued the replacement. Any other manufact. work? Yok?

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote