Quote:
Originally Posted by axle182
Here you go - fits fine
Thanks, thats what I was looking for.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:31 PM   #3047
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey Big Ron.

I was having trouble with the ball cups popping off as well and changed over to the Tamiya low friction types. After a day of racing in Novice (with so many crashes and tumbles it would bring a tear to a glass eye) and no pop offs at all.

Thanks to Steve Wang for the suggestion.
Teehomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:50 PM   #3048
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCevolution
Will that widen the car up past 190mm? Looks like I gotta get me some o' them 6mm hexes

Thanks POOKYT
I don't think so but be sure and check it out first. I did the same as you and cut down the foams then I sliced off the top of the ball end and......after my son drove about 2 packs...........WALAH!!!!!!! No more rubing! LOL

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:32 AM   #3049
Tech Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to Xcal Send a message via AIM to Xcal Send a message via MSN to Xcal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCevolution
Will that widen the car up past 190mm? Looks like I gotta get me some o' them 6mm hexes

Thanks POOKYT
Shouldnt because you have lost the 2mm offset of the standard wheels.

You can get the 6mm hexes or just get the wheel spacers to pack them out a bit.
Xcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:35 AM   #3050
Tech Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to Xcal Send a message via AIM to Xcal Send a message via MSN to Xcal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman
They just have different size teeth. 64 pitch has the smallest teeth and most people will claim they are the most efficient. The stock gears are .6 module (kind of like metric 48 pitch) and only work with those pinions. 64 pitch is the most common for onroad (in the states atleast) and 48 is popular for offroad. I ran 48 pitch onroad for many years and still do in certain situations (outdoors).
Do tamiya make 64 pitch gears? If not where abouts do you get them from?
Xcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:41 AM   #3051
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Do tamiya make 64 pitch gears? If not where abouts do you get them from?
Tamiya makes something close but I don't use them. You can get 64p gears from your local hobby shop or online at lots of places. This link has a few

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go

104 is a good size to get.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:10 AM   #3052
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to axle182

I use em. called 0.4 av pitch. work totally fine with any 64p gears.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:14 AM   #3053
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle182
I use em. called 0.4 av pitch. work totally fine with any 64p gears.
I don't recommend it because, on a good crash they is a good chance of stripping the spur. Just put on a 100 tooth 64 pitch spur and your set.
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:39 PM   #3054
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
I don't recommend it because, on a good crash they is a good chance of stripping the spur. Just put on a 100 tooth 64 pitch spur and your set.
Usually mixing gears has not been a problem for me. I just take my time for the optimum mesh and it is rare I strip a spur. Really hard wrecks you probably could strip just about any 64p/.4 type of spur.
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:10 PM   #3055
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Ko
Usually mixing gears has not been a problem for me. I just take my time for the optimum mesh and it is rare I strip a spur. Really hard wrecks you probably could strip just about any 64p/.4 type of spur.
Actually with the TA05 motor configuration , your mesh would most likely tighten in a hard crash.................
Old 02-14-2006, 11:31 PM   #3056
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I used a .4 module gear forever on my Kyosho KX-1 before I ever realised it was .4 module. It looked 64pitch, so I didn't give it a second thought. It wasn't until I stopped running that car and stripped it down that I noticed the ".4" printed on the gear.

So I guess thats all you need to know about how well 64pitch and .4 module mesh. It may not be perfect, but chances are that if someone gave a spur that was .4 module and didn't tell you, you'd likely never even know.

With that said though, if your going to buy gears, why not just get 64pitch? Especially considering that TCS lets you use whatever gears you want.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:59 PM   #3057
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid
I used a .4 module gear forever on my Kyosho KX-1 before I ever realised it was .4 module. It looked 64pitch, so I didn't give it a second thought. It wasn't until I stopped running that car and stripped it down that I noticed the ".4" printed on the gear.

So I guess thats all you need to know about how well 64pitch and .4 module mesh. It may not be perfect, but chances are that if someone gave a spur that was .4 module and didn't tell you, you'd likely never even know.

With that said though, if your going to buy gears, why not just get 64pitch? Especially considering that TCS lets you use whatever gears you want.
dude, it's the same!! i remember having a hpi 64pitch spur and on the packaging it was printed "64pitch/0.4M"
zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:15 AM   #3058
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

well, not exactly the same... the .4 spur is a metric pitch, the 64 is SAE. it will work, but typically wears out a bit faster, as well as makes a little more noise than matching parts.

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:16 AM   #3059
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbonium
well, not exactly the same... the .4 spur is a metric pitch, the 64 is SAE. it will work, but typically wears out a bit faster, as well as makes a little more noise than matching parts.
Well I still have that .4 module gear of mine. Looks darn near new. Was pretty quiet as I recall too.

As far as wearing out faster...well wearing out spur gears is kinda like when people say they like alloy shocks cause they wont wear out as fast as plastic shocks.

Who keeps a car long enough for plastic shocks to wear out?

And how often does ANY spur, especially .4 or 64pitch, last without catching a rock or track debris. Between parking lot racing(pebbles) and carpet racing(debree left from broken JRX-S's ), I've never had a spur survive long enough to wear out.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:34 AM   #3060
Regional Moderator

I was just taking a look back at the spring chart posted by Linger, and came to an interesting realization. I had one of my best runs with my car last Saturday, and I just realised that I was actually running stiffer springs in the rear than I was up front.

I was running:

-Blue short (front)/Yellow (rear)

but I wanted to go a little stiffer in the back, so after glancing at the chart, I threw the kit silvers on the back.

So then I ended up with:

-Blue short(front)/Silver(rear)

And the car handled very much to my liking. Now I see that the kit Silvers are actually stiffer than the Blue shorts. Wow...

I've run stiffer in the rear on cars before, particularly on my old Corally's, but didn't think it was something that would work with this car. I plan on trying White short (front)/Blue Short(rear) on my next outing, but I'll definitely keep my 'mistake' setup in mind, especially considering how well it handled for me.