R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 01-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #2431
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

With rubbers yes, with foams you don't need it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheehtae
Does it work on carpet?

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:22 PM   #2432
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheehtae
Does it work on carpet?
ummm...what the last two people said.

I've never used a one way (either version) on carpet. And certainly not with foams. Its just not needed.

Infact, if this car turns anywhere near as well outdoors as it does on carpet, then the only reason I will even use the one way outside is to aviod the 'brain lock' that comes with running one car with a one-way(my nitro) and one car without a one-way(my electric).
Old 01-04-2006, 07:47 PM   #2433
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hi all.

New to R/C and have finished building my TA05. I am still running very standard setup as I need to learn how to drive the car first. However, I have a question regarding diff tightness. I intend on running on asphalt at the Sydney SMA track (if any are familiar with it) using rubber Sorex 36R on medium inserts. Motor is a Tamiya Sports Tuned (black can).

My first impression of the car is that it is very responsive although under power the turning circle is much larger than when coasting, ie it seem to be understeering when driven through a corner. From reading through this thread the general consensus is to have the front diff tight and the rear diff loose to counteract understeer. My question is what constitutes tight and what is loose? Can anyone give me some guidance as to a starting point for diff tightness?

I've atached a photo of the Ferrari bodyshell - since it was my first I used the window stickers and now wish I had painted them in smoke. Ah well, I'm still happy with the look.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-ta05-ferrari.jpg  
Teehomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:24 PM   #2434
Tech Addict

My best recomendation is to get a copy of the XXXmain setup guide for touring cars. I like a tight front differential, but there are many ways to effect steering. It is an invaluable reference tool.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:49 PM   #2435
Tech Addict

Hey guys anyone have a setup for spools on Asphault?? Any 411 would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!
Old 01-04-2006, 11:59 PM   #2436
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Man
haha ranamar I think u have other important things then a good set up (hint : driving) ... jk. well why dont u ask the guys at rain... it'll be easier for u that way i think, cuss they can actually look at ur car and help. And solve wats wrong i guess??

Well does anyone know if the Yokomo Ball Diff Assembly parts (thrust bearing, screw, nut, spring) will work with the Tamiya Diff Cups, for any cars? ( Thanks.. The prices for the Tamiya ones to create one is OUTRAGEOUS!
Unfortunately almost none of the parts are interchangeable between a Yokomo diff and Tamiya with maybe the 5x8mm bearings that both diff uses. Yokomo uses a much bigger diff screw, and has a different thrust bearing setup. I don't think the Tamiya diff outdrives will allow for a Yokomo diff screws to pass through. The diff nut is also bigger on the Yokomo which might not fit in the Tamiya outdrives either.

Steve Wang
Old 01-05-2006, 10:14 AM   #2437
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Spur Gear Size?

I've been following this thread for a while and don't remember seeing this discussed. What is the largest 64 pitch spur gear the TA05 can fit? I know a buddy is using a 108 tooth and that seemed like it might be close to the largest, but I'm curious what others are using. Just want to know what spur gear to buy when I pick up my new TA05 (hopefully this weekend! ).

And just to be sure, you can use any brand spur gear for TCS in the US, right?

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2006, 10:27 AM   #2438
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

108T is pretty tight, maybe 109 would be the most I'd be willing to go.. it must be really close to the bottom of the chassis.

I generally use 104 to 106T, the Tamiya standard spur is 105. I'd think it would be good to leave a little space between the spur and chassis hole in case a rock or debris pops in the spur hole, there's room to slip out the bottom.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:32 AM   #2439
Regional Moderator

It was discussed a long, long time ago, so no surprise that you didn't see it.

Most people believed that a 104 was about the largest it could handle. But then people started using 108 spurs. So I think that about as large as you can go without getting too close to being flush with the bottom. Maybe...maybe... you could get a 109 on there, but I would definitely borrow someone elses spur to try it before blowing the money on one of your own.

If you want the largest you can get on there without a doubt, I would go with the 108. You should also take a look at what class your trying to run. If your running something like stock that requires lower rations like in the 6's, then going with the biggest spur might not be the best option anyway. If your planning on running mod where you'll be up around the high 7's or mid 8's or something, then a large spur would be better.

I run 19t and use a 100 spur. It matches well with my pinion supply and the ratios I like to run.

Oh, and yes I do believe any gears are allowed in the TCS.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #2440
Tech Elite

Hey Juan, Do you know if your kit showed up before Shane leaft?
Old 01-05-2006, 11:24 AM   #2441
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman
Hey Juan, Do you know if your kit showed up before Shane leaft?
kufman - I think he said he was going to put the order in Tuesday morning before going up to the Novak race. So as long as Horizon and UPS come through, I should have the kit this weekend. The real question is what color shocks was he able to get me? You should come out and race with me Sunday. You're TA05 probably would of put you in the top 3 last weekend.

Thanks Darkseid and Jam-ehz. I'll grab something between and 100 and 108 tooth, depending what the track has in stock.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:30 AM   #2442
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Valdez
Thanks Darkseid and Jam-ehz. I'll grab something between and 100 and 108 tooth, depending what the track has in stock.
Oh, by the way, unfortunately I don't think the excellent RW spurs fit on the Tamiya mount. So don't purchase one of those.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:36 AM   #2443
Tech Regular

Thanks for the tip, Darkseid. It'll probably be a PRS or Kimbrough, as that is what the track sells. Though I know kufman said his PRS is a tight fit (the centers of the PRS gears are pretty thick).
Old 01-05-2006, 11:48 AM   #2444
Tech Elite

Quote:
You should come out and race with me Sunday. You're TA05 probably would of put you in the top 3 last weekend.
This weekend shane will not be there so we have a chance of better than the top 3 Just have to beat out the rest of the Tamiya croud, if they show up, and Sobiski. If you want me too I can go out there on friday and see if you car is there. that way we can build it before Sat practice.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:53 AM   #2445
Tech Master

Dark, I am currently running an RW spur, narrow, white and a 78 tooth 48dp version, see attached image (excuse the quality, couldn't be bothered getting the camera out)
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-sa000003.jpg  
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote