R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 12-04-2005, 09:19 AM   #2176
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

I would start with springs and droop. These will make a HUGE difference in the car. I run 1.5mm droop rear and 1mm in the front. I'd bet the droop settings are off. You can take a car that pushes horribly and make it oversteer with a 2mm droop adjustment. Also I run Plaid/Purple foams. The Dbl. pink/orange Dbl. pink setup was way to twitchy.

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:21 AM   #2177
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Problem with the stock chassis, it flexes to much, then what tends to happen in high grip conditions, you turn in to the corner, the rear loads up and the chassis twists then you let the throttle off and BANG, the rear twist lets go, acts like a spring and there you have it, no rear end grip. I agree that you can have TOO stiff a chassis, but when you have a carbon twin deck, with standoffs, you can slacken the screws a little to bring some flex back to the chassis.

Also, with differing width and thickness topdecks you can make the car flexible or ultra stiff.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:26 AM   #2178
Tech Champion

I had "0" traction issues with the stock chassis. This is with foams not rubbers. And with the Tech deck to stiffen the car up slightly the car is on par with all the Jrx-s, Fk05s etc. at the track. It lacks nowhere. I think a lot of people feel they need the Xenon chassis kit to make their car compete and it's simply not true.

A car that flexes "some" is a good thing, it makes the car more consistent. I'd bet my car with the Tech deck is very close to the stiffness of the Xenon chassis.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:28 AM   #2179
Tech Champion

I'd also bet that when Tamiya releases the carbon reinforced tub chassis, that it will outperform the dual deck conversions...Plus it's TCS legal.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:35 AM   #2180

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

just bought a NIB tb02 for 100bux. not knowin the '05 was on sale @ speedtech for 125bux (outta stock right now, but i wasnt in a rush to begin with-but what i thought was a great deal came around and i took it). do i resell the tb02 NIB and get a ta05 or should i stick w/it for now.

veteran r/c, just started doin onroad for 1st time in 10yrs racing in spec class (tt01s). didnt feel like a tt01 w/stock motor and correct tires was worth the investment in money to be near competant. tight indoor asphalt track w/hard pipes. leary of belts despite people reassurin me on how good the car is.

what should i do?

thx

-ult
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:42 AM   #2181
Tech Champion

I've never owned a TB, but a lot of people like them. I think the TA05 is a newer platform, and will most likely have more support. Also, the weight distribution on the 05 is supposed to be near perfect.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:19 AM   #2182
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

thanks guys, Well my car was definitely had a better handling when it had the tub chassis, but now having the xenon cf chassis just changed the car, with regards to handling. I did start with the same set-up that I had on my tub chassis but now I just had to start all over which is why its such a delema or dilemna.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:27 PM   #2183
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My Tamiya/Xenon TA05 is now on Ebay. Click Here
dway100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 03:47 PM   #2184
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I just don't see why people have such a problem with the stock tub chassis. Traction isn't a problem as far as I have seen.

From my experience, those super stiff chassis only help if your consistent enough to take advantage of them and consistent enought to keep them of the boards so that your not re-tweaking the things after every heat.

To me, it is no different than when I owned my original MR4TC. It was simply and amazing car from the get go. Thats why team drivers at Yokomo were dumping their hight $$$ cars and using them even in stock for. Then as Yokomo made the car stiffer and stiffer with 'better' versions, the car got worse and worse until not only did they not have many people running them, but they didn't even have very many team drivers wanting to use them.

I don't believe there is a such thing as simply "better". Stiffer may be better for one guy but not another. The "best" car is the one that you can drive the fastest. And if that means running a flexable stock chassis over a 'brick' stiff aftermarket one, that may be what some have to do.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:49 PM   #2185
Regional Moderator

Hey CIVIC, you never sent me that pic of yours with the Tech upper deck on it. I might give it a try at least until Tamiya graces us with the new chassis. Where do you find it at???

I should have my new goodies on the car by the time we head out next weekend.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:05 AM   #2186
Tech Addict

I totally agree with Darkseid. I'm running bone stock right now to get a feel for the car and figure out what I need to tweek. I'm putting down the best lap times I've ever done. Fifty percent of this is ninety percent mental.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:15 AM   #2187
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I must admit, on Tarmac it was ace, bone stock but on carpet I didn't like the rear end to much so made a carbon brace to reduce the twist in the chassis, it responded much better to direction changes after that.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:58 AM   #2188
Tech Addict

10-4 I'm running indoor asphalt. When I run carpet I'll try to stiffen it up. If you scroll back on this thread, COJones had some stiffening solutions. I know him, and know that he is excellent at setting up a car. If he's posting it's been tested and it works.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:17 AM   #2189
Tech Adept

Default to hop up or not

Hi guys, I have been running my ta05 for a while now on rubber tires indoor carpet, and I must say that it it very good. I even think I like it better that my 415, granted the 415 has the one way in it for when I run tcs, and I don't really like running one ways. (just my preference). As for the flexy chasis, I just think that its a matter of what your driving style is. On carpet with rubber tires I love the flexy flier, thats what they call my car, but I tell you what, I was doing some of the fastest lap times in the class, and the guys with the high dollar cars like the 415,xray,and corrallys were amazed that the car was so fast for a plastic tub 140 dollar car.

Now I am not saying that the car doesnt need some things because it definately did. Here are some of the things that I have done.

-carbon shock towers
-shocks(not that the stock ones are bad, but I had an extra set of shocks in my parts box so on they went)
-reversable suspension kit( again had them from my 415, which I run foam tire carpet and I like the strength of the old suspension for running on that car,)
-diff halfs,(because the stock ones kind of suck.If they had retaining clips they would be better.)
-aluminum steering rack.
Thats all and the car handles great.
mrodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:27 AM   #2190
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerdude42
Fifty percent of this is ninety percent mental.