R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 10-16-2005, 07:18 AM   #1666
Tech Initiate

Talking

Problem solved! After careful inspection of the spur I found a TINY peice of sand AND that I had lost one of the two screws that secure the spur to the metal center pulley. I ran the car with only 1 screw securing my spur and ironically finished the day with my best times ever!!! Thanks to all for the advice!
NickRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:21 AM   #1667
Tech Initiate

by the way, does anyone know where I can find a replacement screw to secure the spur to the center pulley???
NickRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:45 AM   #1668
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes,

The ROAR Region 12 Carpet On Road is Oct 20th - 23rd. Hopefully I will have my TA05 TRF'd before then...still waiting on my Ceramic Bearings.

Good luck to all the '05 TCS winners, Gilroy sure has the size of track to practice on.
johntrickle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:21 AM   #1669
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRosie
by the way, does anyone know where I can find a replacement screw to secure the spur to the center pulley???
I had success with m3 x 3 countersunk allen head screws,they will just give the required clearance after you've tighten them.

....If you going to required them to be TCS legal, then you got no choice but to look for the Tamiya replacement part.
Ghostfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:42 AM   #1670
zax
Tech Regular

what is TAO5 internal drive ratio?
zax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:20 AM   #1671
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:21 PM   #1672
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Just raced my TA05 today(carpet) it was slow compared tothe other cars w/c are corally, TC4 factory kit, HPI pro 4 and shumi's. HAndling was not a problem my gearing is 104/30 and my wheels are prolly 54 am I undergeared? whenever I would turn there was just no power, no punch even on straight aways , my motor was a brand new monster stock pro, so I had to change car in the mains and used my back up Xray which is two second faster. Need help and advice,,next race will be in two weeks time
Old 10-16-2005, 10:34 PM   #1673
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I think you may be under-geared, with a rollout of below 22mm. I don't know about carpet, but on asphalt, we run Monsters around 28 - 30mm.

Try running the same rollout you did on the Xray if it had rip.

We are also finding the 05 generates a LOT of traction, so it may be bogging down badly on carpet. You may need a rug-guru to give you some set-up tips!

Cheers,
Scotty P.
ScottyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:29 AM   #1674
Tech Addict

I do not understand roll out.

Could somebody explain please
waOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:36 AM   #1675
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by waOscar
I do not understand roll out.

Could somebody explain please
roll out = tires diameter / final gear.

22m is around 9.4 final gear ... quite ok for a 6T or 7T mod motor !

A stock motor should be geared around 5 - 5.5 ... so between 40mm to 37mm roll out.

e_lm_70

P.S: I do run my 17T LRP challange at around 6 (0.3 + or - based on the track)
e_lm_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:47 AM   #1676
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

Rollout is the distance a tire will travel when the motor makes one rotation...

So, say you have a 30 tooth pinion and 105 tooth spur, making a ratio of 3.5:1.

Multiply that with the TA05's internal ratio, 2.25, to get 8.75:1, the final drive ratio. The motor pinion will turn 8.75 times for every tire rotation. Now you need to know how much distance that tire rotation will get you.

Take a 63mm rubber tire, and calculate the circumference.. pi x dia. = 3.14 x 63mm = 197.82mm.

You want to know how much the tire rolls with one rotation of the motor, so divide the circumference with the ratio, 197.82mm/8.75 = 22.60mm

Thus, your "rollout" is 22.6mm.

You really just need to adjust your pinion gear to get the rollout you need and recalculate, or in some cases the size of your tires, especially foam as they change all the time.

To go backwards, like finding the ratio for a 30mm rollout, divide the diameter by the rollout, 197.82/30 = 6.594 final ratio, or a 39/40 tooth pinion.

Gearchart.com can make you a sheet with all the rollouts for every pinion/spur combination, really helpful instead of calculating every number.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:18 AM   #1677
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheehtae
Just raced my TA05 today(carpet) it was slow compared tothe other cars w/c are corally, TC4 factory kit, HPI pro 4 and shumi's. HAndling was not a problem my gearing is 104/30 and my wheels are prolly 54 am I undergeared? whenever I would turn there was just no power, no punch even on straight aways , my motor was a brand new monster stock pro, so I had to change car in the mains and used my back up Xray which is two second faster. Need help and advice,,next race will be in two weeks time
What rule set and how strictly were they enforced? If you are racing ROAR foam tire, then I think that for now, it is probably hopeless. The foam rules set the minimum weight at 1418 g. which is a very light car and the stock TA05 is heavy. All else being equal, I think the weight difference is too big to make up. For ROAR rubber tire, the minimum weight is 1525 grams. The TA05 is not that bad in this class and you should be able to come close to minimum weight if you use some upgrades (not all -- some upgrades might actually add weight). Then again, if the minimum weight is not being enforced, then you are in the same dog-house as if you were in the foam tire class because the other major cars are probably simply running a lot lighter because no-one is checking.

There is hope on the way though. There are at least 2 light-weight chassis coming. The Speedtech guys have shown drawings of a graphite plate chassis conversion which they have said will be out around the end of this month which is a couple of weeks. Tamiya has also shown a graphite moulded frame, but I do not think we will see that until nearer Christmas, or maybe early next year.

What the other guys have said about gearing is also correct, but depending on the minimum weight situation, you might simply need to concentrate your efforts on optimizing your driving and setup to make the most of your corner speed, at least for now. . . .
MobileIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:06 AM   #1678
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

I ran my Monster with a 104/31-32 and it was just about perfect. That was with 58mm tires so around a 25mm rollout. This was a medium sized carpet track.

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:09 PM   #1679
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileIT
What rule set and how strictly were they enforced? If you are racing ROAR foam tire, then I think that for now, it is probably hopeless. The foam rules set the minimum weight at 1418 g. which is a very light car and the stock TA05 is heavy. All else being equal, I think the weight difference is too big to make up. For ROAR rubber tire, the minimum weight is 1525 grams. The TA05 is not that bad in this class and you should be able to come close to minimum weight if you use some upgrades (not all -- some upgrades might actually add weight). Then again, if the minimum weight is not being enforced, then you are in the same dog-house as if you were in the foam tire class because the other major cars are probably simply running a lot lighter because no-one is checking.

There is hope on the way though. There are at least 2 light-weight chassis coming. The Speedtech guys have shown drawings of a graphite plate chassis conversion which they have said will be out around the end of this month which is a couple of weeks. Tamiya has also shown a graphite moulded frame, but I do not think we will see that until nearer Christmas, or maybe early next year.

What the other guys have said about gearing is also correct, but depending on the minimum weight situation, you might simply need to concentrate your efforts on optimizing your driving and setup to make the most of your corner speed, at least for now. . . .

I am probabaly running a little heavy because I was using a 3800 on my first raced and 3rd race, and all of the guys there racing were all CF chassis. I am already thinking of lightening my car, like going alum on my swing shafts, high prec. diff joints, titanium screws and we were following the IFMAR rules and no weight regulations.One more thing ARAMID BELTS are they a must?

Last edited by cheehtae; 10-17-2005 at 02:22 PM.
cheehtae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 04:22 PM   #1680
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys

Need a bit of help.
Just built my new Ta05 and there seems to be a distinct lack of steering. Its got less throw than my old Baracuda R3 and that was bad! Ive taken it apart to see if I have built it wrong and it seems to be correct. Is there possibly something I've missed or is that it?

Tim
tim fry is offline   Reply With Quote