R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 10-07-2005, 11:48 AM   #1546
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbonium
i have a car in the closet to match those shocks.... i ran it a couple times, but i used the TRF shocks, kinda opposite! my first KX i ran with the stock shocks, and found it a little bit strange.
Mine's still in the closet as well. I ran it as long as I could, but eventually the whole 'discontinued' thing caught up with me in the parts department. Its okay though...it was a good run while it lasted.

Yeah, the feel of these shocks takes some getting used to. I like them because I can run really thick oil without the slow rebound that usually accompanies running like that.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:35 PM   #1547
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
Key500

your body mounts/posts should be on the other side of the shock tower. that way you can use any of the holes on the shock tower for your shocks.
Thank you I'll go ahead and remount it today...
Key500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:33 PM   #1548
Tech Apprentice

is there any web site for the ta05 aftermarket parts?
thanks
nekmiyevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:01 PM   #1549
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key500
Thanks Mobile I already bought some 4mm but I guess I'll measure the original plastic one in the kit, because I notice with 4mm the wheel goes in really close and there's alot of thread left after I tighten the wheel down shown here is there some shims I can use to push the wheel out more or is
it just those Tamiya that fit like that...
Get Tamiya P/N 53448 4mm Hard Lock Nut and spacer set. Comes with 4 each 1mm spacer (blue) and 0.5mm spacer (red) to go between the hex hub and the wheel to move the wheels out. Also has 4 each thin silver spacers that go between the rim and the wheel nut.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:44 PM   #1550
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

has any one read the latest issue of rc-car mag? there is a write up there about the TA05, the TA05 has a TA05 decal anybody know where I can get a hold of one?
Old 10-07-2005, 07:09 PM   #1551
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key500
Thanks Mobile I already bought some 4mm but I guess I'll measure the original plastic one in the kit, because I notice with 4mm the wheel goes in really close and there's alot of thread left after I tighten the wheel down shown here is there some shims I can use to push the wheel out more or is
it just those Tamiya that fit like that...
That was something I mentioned a few pages earlier. If you want to run with the axles sticking out like that, sometimes, if they stick out beyond 190mm, the race operator might not let you run, or may disqualify you after a run (which is sloppy teching in my opinion because something like that should be objected to *before* a race). But if the axles are "in bounds" then you can legally run it. You have to be careful to know about this when you are setting up any car for a race.

Some track operators will not let you run a car like that even if it is within 190 mm because it poses a hazard to the track, to other cars, and even the marshalls, but that is very rare.

But aside from that, I think you should try to run with the 4mm setup "as-is" at least once before you change it. You might find that you like it better than the wider setup. It is rare, but sometimes it does work out that way. There actually are reasons why a narrower track can be better than a wider track in some cases. But it is generally unlikely. Sorry, but I am too tired to try to explain why right now.
MobileIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:01 PM   #1552
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mild seven

this has probably been answered but anyway what is the internal ratio for the TA-05. and does anyone know when the TRF version comes out??
thanks
mild seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:17 PM   #1553
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
49355 have the flourine colored bodies, blue caps (top and bottom) that are ribbed. They also have the aluminum adjuster that has an oring in it. And the adjuster is blue. But it uses the black plastic lower spring retainer.

The 49293 uses the aluminum lower spring retainer

They are both the same otherwise
I made a note of the original question about the length of the shocks and I finally got around to measuring the the 49355 shocks. I built mine with 1 black O-Ring space inside the body which should shorten the length by about 1 mm. Fully extended, measured tip to tip (overall length) is about 59 mm. So if I had built them without the O-Ring I think they are about 60 mm. Measured from the center of one mount hole to the center of the other mount hole, the shocks are about 42 mm when compressed and about 52 mm extended. Again the length when extended, if built without the O-Ring would probably be about 53 mm.

I do not know the length of the 49293 type shock.
MobileIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 01:42 AM   #1554
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mild seven
this has probably been answered but anyway what is the internal ratio for the TA-05. and does anyone know when the TRF version comes out??
thanks
2.25 internal

TRF version....not sure.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:43 AM   #1555
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekmiyevo2
is there any web site for the ta05 aftermarket parts?
thanks
www.speedtechrc.com has a pretty good listing of TA05 hop ups. Probably the best selection I've seen here in the states.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:50 AM   #1556
jas
Tech Apprentice

Does the stock servo saver do it's job well? Necessary to replace it with the Hi-Torque version? Btw, any difference between the black and white hi-torque ones? Thanks!
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 03:23 AM   #1557
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Get Tamiya P/N 53448 4mm Hard Lock Nut and spacer set. Comes with 4 each 1mm spacer (blue) and 0.5mm spacer (red) to go between the hex hub and the wheel to move the wheels out. Also has 4 each thin silver spacers that go between the rim and the wheel nut.
Thanks for the info I will order that this week...
Key500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 04:16 PM   #1558
Tech Master

Hi
We are now manufacturing a CCF for the new Tamiya MSX, and will be avaliable as from the end of next week. There are no pictures at present, but can be purchased through our web site www,coolcanfan.com
Cheers TCCFM
2nd in 2008/9/10 Win Ansman GP 2010 Schumacher GP. 17.5 blinky Winner of STCC 2009/10 13.5 WLRC 2010 Summer series. Winner of EWS Winter. 17.5 Blinky Winner of 2012/13/14 Rug Racers. 17.5 Blinky 2013 WLRC summer series. Newbury RCC GP 2014 17.5 Blinky 2015 3rd in 17.5 Rug Racers
TheCoolCanFanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 08:20 PM   #1559
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well today was a rain day for racing. So we went indoors on carpet/foams. Anyways, car ran pretty good right off the bat in Stock Touring. I ran Parma 28mm tires with 6mm (silver) wheel hexes and a Red axle shim. This gave me clearance for the "stock" LW suspension steering knuckles (I'm actually running Square aluminum knuckles but same clearance issues). This is the route to go if you do not want to use the HPI steering knuckle conversion. Only problem is that you have to run the narrow Worlds 415 suspension blocks to fit inside the 190mm width rule. I would suggest something on the order of 1XB Front/1XD Rear blocks for the front suspension to tuck the wheels in the 190mm rule. I ran 1X Front and 1XD Rear and it was right at or just a tad over 190mm pending in toe/camber.

The track was green since we haven't run carpet foams since March. But car did pretty good. Had the fastest laps of the day. No time to test or practice with the car since I got there late and ended up missing my 1st qualifier since I was building a front diff and changing shock springs and ride height and droop. I ended up using my Asphalt setup I posted a few pages back except the following changes...

Front
AE Yellow springs
Ride Height 4.5mm
Droop 3mm from caster block screw hole (AE droop guage)
Parma Cyan tires (due to green track, otherwise Plaid once bite goes up) 57.5mm starting point

Rear
AE Copper springs
Ride Height 4.5mm~5mm
Droop 4.5mm from bottom of rear hub
Parma Magenta tires (Purple once bite goes up) at 57.5mm starting point

eXpress Monster Stock at 101/32 gearing.

Everything else was same as my asphalt setup. Hopefully I'll get more carpet tuning with it starting next month when we go indoors for the season. Til then it's back to asphalt.... Oh, and I won today too!

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:59 AM   #1560
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi all

Just ordered a TA05 what would be the best hop ups to buy first?

Thanks
tim fry is offline   Reply With Quote