R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 10-05-2005, 05:33 AM   #1501
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think you will find, that with a car such as the TA05, where it is VERY balanced there will be NUMEROUS types of setup for one particular surface..... I am on Yellow springs all round, 40wt oil and 2 pistons....
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:01 AM   #1502
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My guess is that because it running on wood, so really low grip, he's using the white rear springs to get good on-power steering.
I've done it myself on my 415 before, running indoor on wood. Used soft springs on the front, hard on the rear, with dual 1-ways.... car was so fast and easy to drive! Given the TA05 is similar in layout/balance to the 415, I wouldn't be suprised to find that it works the same with this car.
the setup is here http://www.thard.co.uk/rc/TRF415/set...CC-STDarms.jpg

Regards
Ed
Old 10-05-2005, 12:29 PM   #1503
Tech Fanatic

I'm also using a soft front, hard rear suspension config on my TA05 for indoor asphalt to get better on throttle steering. It works quite well for my driving style.
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:35 PM   #1504
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Cool

Well I just finished putting the TA05 together...I gotta say it was NOT as easy as the 04! Of course I may be biased because Ive had the 04 for so long. The belt pulley/diff holders were a PAIN IN THE ARSE!! The car seems ready to go...just breaking in the drivetrain now.

If anyone has any ideas as to the sizes of Spurs you have used please post. I put in an Associated 83 and it is too large...so there ya go on that one. The car comes with a tamiya size 70t spur and a 22 I believe for a final drive of 7.16...so Im looking for a mid 6 final drive.

The turnbuckle ball ends are pretty loose too...I recommend switching to RPM/losi all around...I plan on doing this soon, as I can see popping a few ball ends.

besides these small gripes, pretty straightforward build. Somebody was asking about the TA05 vs an Evolution IV...Id say out of the box I would go evolution IV...if somebody is really that interested in an 05...hit me up...sounds like a no brainer trade!

Looking forward to the Graphite conversion/spool and the aluminum diff housings...should lighten/speed er up a bit...kinda heavy!
Herc Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:50 PM   #1505
Tech Fanatic

64pitch 104T spur is no problem.
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:56 PM   #1506
Tech Addict

Awesome, I have one of those...had not tried it yet
Old 10-05-2005, 02:20 PM   #1507
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc Driver
Well I just finished putting the TA05 together...I gotta say it was NOT as easy as the 04! Of course I may be biased because Ive had the 04 for so long. The belt pulley/diff holders were a PAIN IN THE ARSE!! The car seems ready to go...just breaking in the drivetrain now.

If anyone has any ideas as to the sizes of Spurs you have used please post. I put in an Associated 83 and it is too large...so there ya go on that one. The car comes with a tamiya size 70t spur and a 22 I believe for a final drive of 7.16...so Im looking for a mid 6 final drive.

The turnbuckle ball ends are pretty loose too...I recommend switching to RPM/losi all around...I plan on doing this soon, as I can see popping a few ball ends.

besides these small gripes, pretty straightforward build. Somebody was asking about the TA05 vs an Evolution IV...Id say out of the box I would go evolution IV...if somebody is really that interested in an 05...hit me up...sounds like a no brainer trade!

Looking forward to the Graphite conversion/spool and the aluminum diff housings...should lighten/speed er up a bit...kinda heavy!

dway100 put his evoIV MS up for sale. maybe he wants to trade?
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:22 PM   #1508
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard
My guess is that because it running on wood, so really low grip, he's using the white rear springs to get good on-power steering.
I've done it myself on my 415 before, running indoor on wood. Used soft springs on the front, hard on the rear, with dual 1-ways.... car was so fast and easy to drive! Given the TA05 is similar in layout/balance to the 415, I wouldn't be suprised to find that it works the same with this car.
the setup is here http://www.thard.co.uk/rc/TRF415/set...CC-STDarms.jpg

Regards
Ed
Ed

jimmy's set up is for asphalt if he is using tamiya springs. it'd be an interesting set up to try out

TFR...did you run your car yet? inquiring minds want to know

- Chris
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 03:31 PM   #1509
Tech Master

On 48dp, the 78 is about as high as I would like to go, anymore and it gets way to close to the bottom of the chassis
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 03:41 PM   #1510
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
doesn't work
any one can copy one for me and send it to nekmiyevo2.yahoo.com or just post it
thanks
nekmiyevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:49 PM   #1511
Tech Addict

I wish Tamiya would just let go their goofy "off pitch" and just package in a kimbrough or the like...or even better...make 48 or 64pp like everyone else uses!
Old 10-05-2005, 05:06 PM   #1512
Tech Initiate

Hi nekmiyevo2,

check your inbox. I've sent you an email !

cheers
neosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 05:08 PM   #1513
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes, it's for asphalt. Sorry for the "Wood" confusion. Wood is short for our tracks name... Rosewood, NC. The other track is in Durham, NC (2003 Roar Onroad Nats track).

Yes, they are Tamiya springs. Before this I was using AE Green Front and AE Gold Rear (stole them off my EvoIV). But I decided to build up a new set of shocks dedicated to the TA05. So I went with the Tamiya springs instead. I opted for Tamiya Red Front and Tamiya White Rear instead of the AE Green/White.

Anyway's I know it's been uhh what's the word... kind like... It's the rule not to run softer springs up front in Touring. Either Same rate or Stiffer. But I said screw standards and I'll go with what works on the track. And this is the setup I came up with so far. Before this I was running HPI Silvers all around.

Oh, as for the Spool. It's a front diff tightened down all the way. Just take out the diff balls. Toss sand paper on top of the diff rings. Replace the diff bearings with bushings. Replace the thrust bearing with a 2mm shim and washer. And you are set. Only problem is if you tap something just right or get hacked hard... you'll loosen up the diff screw instantly giving you 2wd mode for the rest of the race... Only way around this is to tighten everything down and superglue it all together forming a dedicated spool. This is with the Optional High Precision Diff Joint kit of course. And the wear on them is great. Even when I ran an 8x2 with them. Car had horrible off power push (different setup than above). But that's a different story.

Gear ratio can vary here on the same layout. I've also ran 7.1 ratio as well. Just depends how strong your motor is and how good your batteries are. Hmmm I might try that ratio again this weekend....

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:08 PM   #1514
Tech Regular

Default am i missing something?

the way i see it, the ta05 is really targeted for those who race in the TCS gt2/3 classes where the tub chassis is mandatory. its a bare bones chassis kit. so i don't get all this talk comparing the ta05 to the evo iv or 415, or even the graphite dual deck upgrade... even with a fully optioned ta05, its not the same as the purpose built performance machines (we all know people who can get similar lap timeswith either, but lets face it, a ta04 had less adjustability than the 414 did, and the ta05 will have less adjustability than the 415). i mean if you want a double deck high performance racing chassis, the evo iv or 415 would cost MUCH less out of the box by the time you bought all the upgrade options for it anyway... so, am i missing something?

the fun of hopping up a car? watching the performance gains?
quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:24 PM   #1515
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
dway100 put his evoIV MS up for sale. maybe he wants to trade?
If I hadn't already bought a TA05... - I am selling the EVO IVms to pay for all the extras I need for the new car. This is going to be the most expensive $150 car I have ever ran.
dway100 is offline   Reply With Quote