R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-05-2005, 08:59 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default will VICTOR ENGINEERING ever return?

maybe somebody knows something?
wothrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:11 AM   #2
Tech Adept

I know I've seen some of their chargers bring good money on E-Bay.But I think now with NIMH batteries everyone's technology is about equal.I mean they were awesome for their time but now,well of course if people are paying like $450 for the new Futaba charger,what do I know. I bought a GM Commander and now can't get a new temp sensor.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:13 AM   #3
Tech Adept

There are a couple of companies, one in Canada and another in Australia, that repair and upgrade them.
RCB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:21 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think the guy in Canada stopped doing it.

You still see some of these chargers out there. I still have my Super Hi-IQ.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:22 PM   #5
Tech Adept

I own a victor charger,these are awesome!
but seeing the cdr 5000,the victor looks like fred flinstone used it.
there has to someone out there who worked for them or victor himself,I doubt he totally leave the rc community.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:56 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

As far as I know, Victor sold to Maxtec, ( who shortly afterwards closed up shop), and then returned to Europe. I'd like to find someone who could upgrade my Quad-IQ.
c-lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:11 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

c-lyon, Sam Capris, the guy in Canada also did repairs and upgrades to the Quad IQ's. I have a Quad with a backlight display and a different chipset to allow discharging and more charge rate adjustability! I don't think he ever had any updates for NiMh batteries though, as far as I know of you can't adjust the cutoff on the Quad chargers unless Sam found a way to lower it on the different chipsets. I heard that he may still be doing repairs on a limited basis, but I don't know this to be fact. You could try contacting him through www.modelland.com . Send them an Email, maybe they can help get you in touch with him.
WailinOnYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 06:41 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
The Victor Engineering chargers are awesome. They can still hold their own against most of todays top-end chargers, and they have been out of business for what, 5 years? It's too bad their not around anymore. They really were ahead of the game. Heck, I just found out last night my old HI-IQ sr will charge my 6 cell NiMH packs safely by telling it I am charging 2 C cells. It apparently sets the voltage threshold according to the # of cells you tell it you are charging. It terminated the charge at a .03 drop
THEPISTOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:08 AM   #9
Tech Adept

the hi-iq sr should have the voltage push option,there you can enter the voltage treshold.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:15 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
As far as I know, the Voltage Push Charge was an "option" you could have Victor Engineering add. I don't think the HI-IQ sr came standard with it. At least mine doesn't have it. I believe the Super-IQ and all the chargers after it came standard with this option.
THEPISTOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 02:21 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you have a Victor IQ with software that doesn't have adjustable voltage cutoff it can still be used with a 6 cell Nimh pack. Simply select the nicad option and tell the IQ you're charging a single cell. The only parameter the number of cells changes(when charging) is the total cutoff voltage. The voltage drop used for a single nicad cell works pretty well for a 6 cell Nimh pack.
TheSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 09:07 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks Wailin, I have asked both Sam and the chap in Australia, and both say they can't upgrade the Quad, although Sam did fix the Quad after it went back to Victor/Maxtec four times with no improvement. On the bright side they upgraded the specs each time, but without solving the problem. Sam found a minor manufacturing defect which caused intermittent malfuctions. Once he got his hands on it it worked perfectly. Now it's just an expensive discharger!
c-lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:53 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

With some time and effort we could probably find the voltage drop setting in the firmware and change it to work with nimh instead of nicad. Someone would have to donate a firmware dump though as I don't have one, but I do have most versions of IQ/sr/super/iq3000 etc.
TheSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:53 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The # of cells=voltage cutoff is good to know, but unfortunately the Quad IQ doesn't allow you to select the # of cells. I always liked Victor chargers but the sad fact is, without any product support now that Maxtec/Victor is gone, it is a real pain if you have a problem with the chargers, unless you have working knowledge on how to fix these units. Hunting someone down, (and these individuals are far and few between) to do repairs if needed, is just an outright pain. Also even though there are a few people who repair them, they are not bound to do anything if they don't want or no longer feel like doing the repairs, then what? Plus it costs an arm and a leg to ship this stuff from the U.S. to Canada or Australia and back. At this point, when Maxtec/Victor initially went under, I wish I had sold my units, but now that I have sunk more money into them some years back for upgrades/repairs, I will hold on to them until I feel they are not worth repairing or simply can't get them repaired! If there were many individuals who could do and were willing to do work on these units my attitude would change and I would never want to get rid of them, but at this point it is too much of a hassle.

I am already having a problem with My Super unit. It doesn't want to power up sometimes. The readout will light up but shows no info, no wording. You can unhook it from the power source and turn it on and off (it won't turn off with the keypad when it does this) and it just does the same thing. I have to remove the faceplate, unscrew the keypad and run a wire across the pins on the IC under the keypad. This was the fix I was told to do by Victor Engineering along time ago when this happened for the first time, it was a problem they were aware of. Something about the IC building up some sort of residual charge! Anyways I fixed it the first time and didn't have a problem for a long time. But I have had it do this to me four times in one day before. The other thing is that the Tech from Victor told me the specific pins to touch with the wire but I forgot which ones exactly and have to run the wire across all of them because I don't remember the specific pins. This does work, but I would say that in the last year it has done this to me about 12 times. It gets aggrivating!
WailinOnYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:36 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSteve
Someone would have to donate a firmware dump though as I don't have one, but I do have most versions of IQ/sr/super/iq3000 etc.

How do you dump the firmware?
rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote