Community
Wiki Posts
Search

will VICTOR ENGINEERING ever return?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 02:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JimmyG
I will find a local person to do the repairs on mine, but does anybody have a parts list with specifications of the the items on the board? If I have a local guy fix it, he may need some info.

Sam Capri from Canada told me some years ago, the software is about 95% lipo ready, Vic never finished it. Some wiz kid may step up and resolve this issue...

I have a whole bunch of manuals on these things. I will try next week to post them online. I even have a flier for the Quad IQ ( I have 2 of those).
Allways wanted a quad
Well first try to solve getting them Lipo compatible but it allmost seems like an urban legend.

I dealt with Sam in the past.
He was good!

Sorry can't help you out dude.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Lipo matter is still open and unsolved

H E L P
please
Old 08-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Default I have one that does Li-Ion / Li-Polymer

Hi,

I'm not an R/C racer. A friend pointed me in this direction. He recalled that I am still using a Victor Engineering battery analyzer and said there was this fairly long discussion on the poor old thing.

I have a Super2 that has served me well since the early 1990's. I saved mine from the junk bin when we changed to PC-controlled analyzers that can be programmed with graphical curves, as opposed to a keypad and a two-line LCD screen.

For Lithium based batteries, I just set my current to the max I want delivered, and the voltage to the point where I want it cut-off and it will automatically taper off the current as it approaches the voltage limit.

That's not as good as a programmed curve, but it suffices.

Can anyone else with a Victor set their unit to operate like that?

I do see some differences from the few photos of the Victors I see posted. Mine does not have the 'Motor' jacks and had a card glued over the current chart on the left side of the keypad. That fell off long ago, but it was stuck there because that chart is useless with my unit. The firmware does allow one to set it by the number of cells, but has the option to set it by voltage and current instead.

When I power mine on, it puts up a greeting where it says it's a "Victor Engineering Industrial Battery Analyzer". Nothing on the screen or in the manual mentions R/C racing, so I have the feeling that my firmware is somewhat different.

Of course, we were designing 2-way radios and cell phones and such with these and bought them as programmable battery analyzers for that purpose why back when. I used to have on the order of two dozen of these, but only saved one from the junk pile when that time came in the late 1990's.

I wish I could find a set of schematics for the version with the motor jacks to compare with what I have so I'd know for sure if the firmware loaded in my version would be compatible with the hardware in what everyone else has.

I have a feeling that there is more different than just the firmware and not populating the motor jacks, though.....

In fact, I always wondered what the empty holes in the case labelled 'Motor' were for. It's obvious that there is a hardware difference as there is a small daughter board stuck over the main board under where the motor jacks would have passed through.

I see now where these units were originally designed for the R/C racing crowd and then modified for use on other batteries. Hence the 'motor' label without jacks.

As far as Victor ever coming back, I doubt it. They wound up being bypassed by several other outfits long ago. Now, those outfits themselves have also been bypassed and are also gone.

If I look for Victor Engineering these days, I see where this outfit, Vencon, is using the old Victor name to direct you to their website. That's kind of cheesy, even if it looks like it's a decent enough unit.

Later!

Stan

electronics product development engineer
Old 12-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Stan,

I own victorengineering.com.

I bought it years ago when Victor Engineering went out of business.

Yes, I bought it hoping to capture some of the business directed that way.
I don't know if that paid off or not, but for the first few years I was getting emails from people asking how to get their units fixed. Those emails I redirected to the few people who were servicing those old units. From what I can tell, those people are no longer servicing the old units.
If I didn't buy that URL, it would either have gone dead or worse, be picked up by a spam or ad site.

I'm also a R/C hobbyist (which is how I started my company) and I don't like to see support from products so abruptly dropped. I'd gladly post any information on the victorengineering.com website to assist current users.

If you have any information, please email it to me.

Marc at
vencon.com
Old 12-04-2011, 12:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by marcv
Stan,

I don't know if that paid off or not, but for the first few years I was getting emails from people asking how to get their units fixed. Those emails I redirected to the few people who were servicing those old units. From what I can tell, those people are no longer servicing the old units.
If I didn't buy that URL, it would either have gone dead or worse, be picked up by a spam or ad site.

I'm also a R/C hobbyist (which is how I started my company) and I don't like to see support from products so abruptly dropped. I'd gladly post any information on the victorengineering.com website to assist current users.

Marc at
vencon.com
Hi Marc,

Somehow we need to find a Lipo upgrade.
There seem to be a few Victors that had the Lipo testing software.
If could only get a hold of one and copy that eprom....
Old 06-05-2012, 12:52 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Someone know when Victor started making their ESC and know something about their range of ESC? I have a VIC-1A and have seen others as VIC-3 and VIC-5A but donīt know whatīs the difference as all of them look the same with only difference numbers of FETīs for some of them. Also are there any manuals?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by V12
Someone know when Victor started making their ESC and know something about their range of ESC? I have a VIC-1A and have seen others as VIC-3 and VIC-5A but donīt know whatīs the difference as all of them look the same with only difference numbers of FETīs for some of them. Also are there any manuals?

You should contact Bob Stormer, he can probably enlighten you on the speed controls.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
You should contact Bob Stormer, he can probably enlighten you on the speed controls.
I've got 6-8 of them. I'm kind of losing ground on those myself, memory not what it was. I raced one for a brief period in I think, offroad 2wd buggy. Getting hard to remember.

I've got a few of these as well. Victor, the first to develop onboard data acquisition.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 06-08-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Default To Marc

Originally Posted by marcv
Stan,

Marc at
vencon.com
The vencon unit looks very advanced compared to what I've ever used, I'm extremely impressed and thanks for sharing your information here with everyone Marc.... J
Old 09-25-2015, 08:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Hello I know this is an old discussion but let's see what happens

Hello fellow enthusiasts

I recently got back to playing with my old rc cars
I raced competitively from 1989 to around 2000
I have experience matching grading and pushing nicad cells so I'm knowledgeable about victor, years ago I purchased a super IQ and upgraded to a super 2 then to a IQ 3000 then the unit abruptly quit working and has been in its box since.

I have read everything posted here and let me thank you all for posting as it has inspired me to not only set out to repair my unit, but, I am if able to repair the IQ 3000 , I plan to experiment with lipos on it, I have previously done the impossible in electronic repairs e.g. replace pot adjustment on tekin 3 layer boards by hand and I was only a teenager then, I have built many makeshift battery management units before I bought a victor .
I am 39 years old now and we'll versed in electronic construction and assembly , I have done some prototype work for nuclear vessel inspection for example and I have nothing to lose for trying to make my victor work again and or maybe make it safely charge lipos. Wish me luck people and if I successfully complete my idea I will post here with my results . ... J
Old 09-25-2015, 10:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Diagram

Originally Posted by JMAN76
Hello fellow enthusiasts

I recently got back to playing with my old rc cars
I raced competitively from 1989 to around 2000
I have experience matching grading and pushing nicad cells so I'm knowledgeable about victor, years ago I purchased a super IQ and upgraded to a super 2 then to a IQ 3000 then the unit abruptly quit working and has been in its box since.

I have read everything posted here and let me thank you all for posting as it has inspired me to not only set out to repair my unit, but, I am if able to repair the IQ 3000 , I plan to experiment with lipos on it, I have previously done the impossible in electronic repairs e.g. replace pot adjustment on tekin 3 layer boards by hand and I was only a teenager then, I have built many makeshift battery management units before I bought a victor .
I am 39 years old now and we'll versed in electronic construction and assembly , I have done some prototype work for nuclear vessel inspection for example and I have nothing to lose for trying to make my victor work again and or maybe make it safely charge lipos. Wish me luck people and if I successfully complete my idea I will post here with my results . ... J
If anyone has any diagrams or schematics I'd appreciate it I need to know where the reset jumper goes to clear the unit out so it will power on. J [email protected]